The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 08-17-2015, 06:48 PM

Default Should i fix up this Yamaha?

So i got this Yamaha c330 the other day and its pretty beat up. Im not exactly a guitar player just play here and there so i dont know much about them. This is the info i got from Yamaha Customer Service. " This is a solid top guitar Maede in 1989 it was. never sold in the USA solid cedar top rosewood laminate back and sides,,nato neck with rosewood fingerboard msrp unknown value unknown"

Now i want to fix it up myself if its not worth that much. Can anyone give me a ballpark figure of what this things worth so i can either start restoring myself or just leave it as is if its actually worth something. Thanks

Old 08-19-2015, 05:55 AM

Welcome o the forum! Unfortunately, there isn't much of a market for starter classical guitars. If this was a steel string folkie, I'd say $100-125. This one, maybe $50-75 after a cleanup up and set up.
If you enjoy tinkering with guitars, go ahead and let the learning curve begin! I wouldn't worry too much about the chips on the back, but would spend the time on making sure the neck is playable, the tuning machines work, and the bridge, saddle and nut are in good playable shape. Also, a new set of strings. Generally, classical guitars don't have a lot of neck problems due to the low tension of the nylon strings, but if it's twisted due to poor storage and temp changes, you've got a wall hanger on your hands.
Good luck
Old 08-20-2015, 01:26 PM

$50 usd tops. unfortunately, that awesome sticker makes things worse.

might still function as a lap beater though. throw some strings on it and see if it plays.

other then the scars what else is wrong with it?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair