The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-09-2015, 07:58 PM

Default carbon camping

I'm really new at this, but I want to know any/all opinions on the "best" carbon fiber guitar for camping etc. To get good sound and can deal with the elements... Thank you all for your help..
Stefan
Old 07-09-2015, 08:55 PM

Welcome to the CF forum. Lot's of knowledgeable folks here - hoping they'll chime in.

I've gone camping with CF guitars and have a couple thoughts that might help:

1. When not playing, keep it in its case - people tend to trip over things around the campfire (no idea "why"), and a hardshell case offers better protection than a gig bag
2. If the guitar is equipped with electronics, remove the battery - now you can get it wet, and even take it swimming. Dry it out thoroughly inside before replacing the battery - a can of compressed air works.
3. Don't worry and have fun. CF is great that way.

One night we played duets around the campfire using two CF guitars: a Rainsong Shorty for lead and a Rainsong Parlor P12 for rhthym. I think the Shorty projected more volume, but the P12 had old strings on it, so that might have contributed to the difference.
Old 07-10-2015, 06:52 AM

To add to the above:

I'd avoid guitars that have electronics. I'd also avoid those that have open backed tuners. After that, it's a matter of size and tone. There are a lot of threads on getting the best tone at www.macnichol.com - the forum dedicated to CF guitars has a lot of history to read.
Old 07-10-2015, 08:45 AM
Charter Member

My idea of "camping" is: the motorhome parked in a nice resort, with satellite TV, heat and a/c (when needed), and a comfortable bed.

That said, my carbon fiber RainSong Shorty travels with us (by boat and RV). Because I am the only one moving it, it travels in an Access padded gig bag.

The only time I have played the guitar "around the fire" was last winter when several of us played and sang for about 4 hours at the site behind ours: the guy had a propane "fire pit"... it kept the temp comfortable in the cool desert evening, but no dirt, bugs, or anyone tripping over our guitars.

Carbon fiber travels well. As far as "the best" - that depends on what you are looking for regarding sound and size. And, like any guitar purchase, that will depend on your particular wants.

Good luck with the search.
Old 07-10-2015, 10:14 AM

I've played my Rainsong at the Acoustic Alaska Guitar Camp often. In the early evening it might be 65-70° and by 2 am it was 45°. Mine was the only guitar that did not need constant retuning as the temps changed. It also does not have the smell of campfire smoke cling to it nearly as much as wood guitars.
Old 07-10-2015, 11:25 AM
Guest 928

As the captain notes, your choice will depend on what you mean by camping. If you mean to travel light with a minimum of bulk, then you have a great selection of cf guitars to select from.

The Cargo was an early cf travel guitar that has passed the test of time. The Blackbird Rider is a superb traveler with perhaps the best projection of the travel guitars. The new Journey cf travel guitar has been getting great reviews and is a possibility. The Emerald X5 and X7 guitars have great tonal qualities, project well for their size, and have what might be the best necks in the travel-guitar category (they are also the most affordable).

There are other guitars that some might consider as travel instruments, but in my estimation are either too big or too expensive. For example, the Rainsong Parlor is a reasonably small guitar, but a bit larger than I would want for camping and way too expensive to risk in the wild.

You have some interesting options. I would definitely get on the Carbon Fiber guitar Forum and check out the various options. The sale/trade/wtb thread on the forum also brings out some pretty good buys on used cf instruments.

Good luck with your search.
Old 07-10-2015, 02:24 PM
some guy from NY

Camped on the beach in the summer. While the carbon can take some heat, I found that the black top really absorbed the sun and was actually too hot to touch if I left it in direct sunlight. At least cover it up with a towel or something if you are in a hot sun environment.
Old 07-10-2015, 03:11 PM

There are several CF makers who have made white CF guitars (over coating) such as Emerald, Journey, CA and maybe others. Rainsong had a light colored version also. You might have to search to find these or check if they still make them. Emerald, of course, will do this as a custom paint job.

For in sun use, I think that would be a great solution if you don't mind a white guitar.
Old 07-10-2015, 05:51 PM

Any CF guitar would be ideal for camping due to their weather proof construction, but my choice tends to be either my Blackbird Rider, or if I have more room than my Rainsong Shorty Dreadnought. Price wise it would be tough to beat the Journey OF660, which are not only extremely portable, but sound ten times bigger than what you would expect.
Old 07-11-2015, 03:28 PM
some guy from NY

Space constraints do exist when you are packing or traveling. BUT as much as people love the sound of a full size guitar , I'd find room for my jumbo CF even if I had to put it on my lap in the car. I do have a small walnut GO guitar for air travel but even for some week long international air travel, I've taken my jumbo and just packed lighter when it came to clothes and stuff. I bought a good soft case with backstraps so that it doesn't tie up your hands carrying it. Edit.... checked it in a hard case, packed the soft case, and switched after I got there.

So I guess what I'm saying is that while every choice has risks, the CF advantages might allow you to take a full size guitar into the thorny woods, onto the beach, or up to the snowy mountains where meditation and music are soulmates.
Old 07-14-2015, 02:43 PM

Carbon is undoubtedly the way to go for camping and many of our guitars have been on epic camping adventures such as Jason Phelps who trekked 2600 miles on the pacific crest trail with an X5 that wasn't even in a gig bag. You can find his story here http://www.jasonhikes.com .
The X5 was the worlds first carbon fibre travel guitar when we introduced it 10 years ago and its still a great option but if you have a little bit more space then our X7 is also super compact but with a bigger tone and feel.
Have a look at our website www.emeraldguitars.com to see our range.
Hope you find that perfect camping companion
Alistair
Old 07-14-2015, 03:20 PM
Guest 928

I'm not sure if I'm remembering right, but I think there is a very reasonably priced used X7 on the Carbon Fiber Guitar Forum.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber