The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 06-28-2015, 01:23 PM
Charter Member

Default RainSong CO-WS1005NST

Yesterday, I played a used RainSong CO-WS1005NST (SN 13896) in absolutely MINT condition--it looked like it hadn't been played! It was for sale at my local Guitar Center for $1739, recently dropped from $1999. With its 12-fret neck and round upper-bout soundhole, this guitar sounded absolutely full, deep and warm but retained the typical Rainsong WS crystalline shimmer. The sunburst finish, something I hadn't thought I'd like on a carbon guitar, was gorgeous! I auditioned the guitar at 4 p.m., and when checking the web site at 7 p.m. it said the guitar was no longer available! I went to GC today to verify that it was, alas, sold! At any rate, if when buying another RainSong, I'm serously considering getting a CO-WS1005NST.

http://www.rainsong.com/concert/cowsnst6.html

Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 06-28-2015, 06:10 PM
Guest 928

What a beautiful guitar! Sorry you missed it. I've found that strings make an amazing difference on CF guitars. They seem particularly sensitive and the shimmer can be tamed with strings. At least, that is the impression I get in listening to the string discussions on the carbon fiber guitar forum. I can tell you that on my RS parlor nylon string, the tonal qualities are as good as those found on traditional, classical nylon string guitars.
Old 06-29-2015, 07:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
What a beautiful guitar! Sorry you missed it. I've found that strings make an amazing difference on CF guitars. They seem particularly sensitive and the shimmer can be tamed with strings. At least, that is the impression I get in listening to the string discussions on the carbon fiber guitar forum. I can tell you that on my RS parlor nylon string, the tonal qualities are as good as those found on traditional, classical nylon string guitars.
I actually like the crystalline upper-frequency shimmer of RainSong carbon guitars as it adds another dimension to the tone that is subdued or non-existent in wooden guitars.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5

Last edited by SpruceTop; 06-29-2015 at 05:38 PM.
Old 06-29-2015, 04:57 PM

Our GC here in Columbia (SC) doesn't carry Rainsong in the store. I had to order mine on line. Everyone in the store drooled over it when it came in. I think they would sell in Columbia IF GC carried them. So different from anything else I own.
Old 06-29-2015, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frances50 View Post
I think they would sell in Columbia IF GC carried them. So different from anything else I own.
I think that would be true of any location RainSongs could be potentially sold. For now I think I will enjoy having a great instrument that is still considered a rare sighting and that wows people when they discover my Shorty.

I really don't buy the argument that cf costs are what primarily hold buyers back (based upon my belief that many proud instrument owners have spent in excess of the price point on the average cf for top brand guitars of a wooden variety). I think it is mainly accessibility that is keeping most buyers from considering. I was saving up for a higher end Breedlove when I first played a RainSong. Carbon fiber won my wallet and could easily do it again.
Old 06-30-2015, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
I think that would be true of any location RainSongs could be potentially sold.
You'd think so, but our local dealer stopped carrying them due to slow sales. I had to contact the Canadian distributor and ended up ordering my CO-WS1005NS from two provinces away.

It's rapidly become my favourite guitar, and I own an old D28 and a very nice Morgan CM among others.
Old 06-30-2015, 07:38 AM

Quote:
I think that would be true of any location RainSongs could be potentially sold. For now I think I will enjoy having a great instrument that is still considered a rare sighting and that wows people when they discover my Shorty.

I really don't buy the argument that cf costs are what primarily hold buyers back (based upon my belief that many proud instrument owners have spent in excess of the price point on the average cf for top brand guitars of a wooden variety). I think it is mainly accessibility that is keeping most buyers from considering. I was saving up for a higher end Breedlove when I first played a RainSong. Carbon fiber won my wallet and could easily do it again.
Agreed. It is kinda cool when someone asks "what kind of guitar is that?"
Old 06-30-2015, 08:00 AM

Quote:
I really don't buy the argument that cf costs are what primarily hold buyers back .... I think it is mainly accessibility that is keeping most buyers from considering. ...
And then there's guitar players being traditionalists. People hear with their eyes and are convinced that it takes the rarest kinds of spruce and some pretty rosewood to build a proper guitar.
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 06-30-2015, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perttime View Post
And then there's guitar players being traditionalists. People hear with their eyes and are convinced that it takes the rarest kinds of spruce and some pretty rosewood to build a proper guitar.
I completely agree here, but i do think more CF guitars could be sold if they were more accessible. Even in my own experience I wish that I had several models of every manufacturer of CF in the same room when making my purchase- kind of like a Guitar Center of CF guitars. Tell me that wouldn't FUN!

I would add that this would almost certainly affect your buying decision too. I was down to a Lucky 13 or Shorty and the Shorty won merely because I couldn't even get my hands on the L13. Even though I completely love my Shorty, I can't help but feel that I have slight case of FOMO (Fear of missing out).
Old 06-30-2015, 09:05 AM
Guest 928

Sean;

That's what it used to be like at MacNichol in Salt Lake; a field trip into the land of CF guitars. I think Ted's is about the closest to that now. I would think that a franchise of some sort that sold nothing but CF instruments, placed in major cities, would do well. But I could be wrong, and I have to admit I sort of like having a guitar that is unique.
Old 06-30-2015, 09:07 AM

There WAS a place where you could do that - McNichol in Salt Lake city. But he closed his retail store last April. (Still open for mail order though and has a great reputation). I had always intended to make a road trip to SLC and sit in a room with multiple CF guitars. Guess I dawdled too long.

I met Joe from Blackbird recently, and he pointed out that they have a good return policy. Order direct and try it for 14 days (IIRC) and return it if it doesn't work for you. You'd only be out the shipping costs. He said that they get back less than 1% of the guitars tested this way, so people like them. I'm considering a Lucky 13 myself. But I'm not in any hurry since I already have a Rainsong WS-1000.
Old 06-30-2015, 09:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

I agree on your point about accessibility of carbon guitars keeping them largely out of the public eye and potential sales! Price-wise, RainSong models have had very little in the way of price increases during the 9 years I've been buying this brand. Given some of the hefty price increases in quality wooden guitars during the same time frame, I truly feel RainSong and other brands of carbon guitars are becoming more competitive with wooden guitars in the fine-guitar field.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 07-07-2015, 08:41 AM

For both tone and comfort (I like 12-frets), this is my favorite model in the Rainsong line-up. Not sure where I stand in the looks department...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber