The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-27-2015, 03:12 PM

Hi Marcel,

First off, glad the OF660 is working out for you. As to the nut being loose, Rob will probably chime in when he sees this but are you sure you mean the nut, not the saddle. I ask because the nut should be glued in.
Old 07-27-2015, 06:26 PM

I also have had my new OF-660 for about 3 weeks (Thanks, Ted!) and have absolutely loved it!! I've sold my CA Cargo as it just didn't compare. The tone is fabulous, fretwork and all the craftsmanship is just right on the mark - just beautifully done. It just fits my body with all the molding...fantastic! The plugged-in sound is excellent as well - that's often very hard to do. Taking the guitar apart and putting it back together couldn't be easier and it comes back right into tune. The backpack is very clever with lots of room for extra things. It fits in an overhead compartment with ease.

The only thing I've had to do is adjust the action a bit lower. After Rob told me that their standard action is 0.11 at the 12th fret, I removed the saddle (yes - it comes out easily, and is supposed to) and sanded it down a bit to get my more normal lower action as I play alot of electric guitar also. The guitar is a real joy to play and now I can take it anywhere!!

RandyD

Thanks, Rob, I'm a fan!!!
Old 07-27-2015, 07:21 PM
*mahoganut*

Marcel, my saddle was also very loose - apparently by design. I was at a luthier's shop and he made a shim for it so it was snug in the saddle slot. He thought that might make a tonal or volume improvement as well, just because of more and snugger contact with the bridge.

I haven't noticed that difference, but I am less concerned about the saddle falling out when disassembled!

Best,

Phil

Paragon RW/Macassar Ebony Baritone
Rainsong S OM1100-N2
Woolson LS RW/30s African mahogany LG 12
Baranik LS RW/"tree" mahogany OO
Baranik Blue Spruce/"tree" mahogany OM
Boswell RW/koa OO
Baranik Retreux Parlour Adi/Pumaquiro
Baranik Blue Spruce/Coco Meridian "Geo"
Baranik Blue Spruce/Kingwood OO
Woolson T13 RW/Walnut SIG
Old 07-28-2015, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
Hi Marcel,

First off, glad the OF660 is working out for you. As to the nut being loose, Rob will probably chime in when he sees this but are you sure you mean the nut, not the saddle. I ask because the nut should be glued in.
Hi Ted

No, it's the nut that is loose. I can slide it left and right. The saddle seems quite well fixed.

I noticed my OF660 doesn't keep in tune as well as my other guitars and am thinking this may be the reason.

Cheers, Marcel
Old 07-28-2015, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minstermarce View Post
Hi Ted

No, it's the nut that is loose. I can slide it left and right. The saddle seems quite well fixed.

I noticed my OF660 doesn't keep in tune as well as my other guitars and am thinking this may be the reason.

Cheers, Marcel
Hi Marcel, we rarely hear of the nut being an issue like this. If it's not glued in place, you can either use super glue gel and align it with the string holder, or send it to James and we'll do it for you. As for keeping in tune, after you assemble the guitar, you may need to adjust tuning after 5 minutes of playing if there's any excess slack in the strings. I go through frequent alternate tunings and never have a problem with intonation, and I'm traveling with an OF660 today. Any issue whatsoever, reach out to James and he'll take care of you. ([email protected])
1950s Martin Baritone Uke
A prototype of something you're likely to drool over.

9 yr old boy learning drums, 5 yr old girl who likes to groove with the beat, a music-loving toddler, 1 patient and amazing wife.
Old 07-28-2015, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robailey View Post
Hi Marcel, we rarely hear of the nut being an issue like this. If it's not glued in place, you can either use super glue gel and align it with the string holder, or send it to James and we'll do it for you. As for keeping in tune, after you assemble the guitar, you may need to adjust tuning after 5 minutes of playing if there's any excess slack in the strings. I go through frequent alternate tunings and never have a problem with intonation, and I'm traveling with an OF660 today. Any issue whatsoever, reach out to James and he'll take care of you. ([email protected])
Hi Rob

Thanks for your prompt response.

I think if it is just a case of super gluing it, then I will do it rather than having it shipped all the way to wherever James is (HK or the US?). Any tips as to where to glue it and how much? Am presuming only a tiny amount is needed?

Thanks, Marcel

ps if it's possible to send photos via this forum I will gladly show the nut to you.
Old 07-29-2015, 08:22 PM

Hi Marcel, I see James has taken care of you. Enjoy your guitar and if you ever need anything let us know. I know I'm enjoying my OF660 this week on holiday.

9 yr old boy learning drums, 5 yr old girl who likes to groove with the beat, a music-loving toddler, 1 patient and amazing wife.

Last edited by robailey; 07-29-2015 at 08:38 PM.
Old 07-30-2015, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Hi Marcel, I see James has taken care of you. Enjoy your guitar and if you ever need anything let us know. I know I'm enjoying my OF660 this week on holiday.
Yes, thank you, Rob. I am going to undertake the gluing myself in due course.

Had a quick strum of the OF660 before work this AM!
Old 08-13-2015, 01:54 AM

Default New Colored OF660s shipping!

Hey Guys, we're new offering the OF600 in Burgundy, Burnt Orange, and Navy, and we'll have some more Pearl White models in about 20 days. These are in limited supply now, but reach out if there's a model you're looking for and I can pass you on to a dealer near you.

Here's a link to the Overhead Series page on our website:
http://www.journeyinstruments.com/pr...travel_guitar/

Old 08-13-2015, 09:10 AM

The colors look awesome, Rob! Even better in person.
Old 08-13-2015, 10:03 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Hey Guys, we're new offering the OF600 in Burgundy, Burnt Orange, and Navy, and we'll have some more Pearl White models in about 20 days. These are in limited supply now, but reach out if there's a model you're looking for and I can pass you on to a dealer near you.

Here's a link to the Overhead Series page on our website:
http://www.journeyinstruments.com/pr...travel_guitar/
Very cool! Rob, can you please post a quality pic of the pearl white version. So far as I could find, it isn't including on your website. I recall seeing it before and would like to see it. Thanks.
Old 08-13-2015, 05:13 PM

There are a couple of pictures of the Pearl White OF660 in this thread:

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...=360161&page=4

Scroll about 1/3 of the way down the page to see them.
Old 08-13-2015, 07:33 PM

Thanks Jr one! On the Pearl White, we didn't do professional photos on the last run, so we need to wait about 3-4 weeks for the next run to ship. They're available upon request and I have several on order now. I recommend reaching out to a dealer on the forum if you're interested.

Old 08-13-2015, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Very cool! Rob, can you please post a quality pic of the pearl white version. So far as I could find, it isn't including on your website. I recall seeing it before and would like to see it. Thanks.
Tom, we have some decent pictures of all the models on our site, and have a pearl white on the way, which will of course be photographed and posted as soon as Rob gets us the guitars.

https://www.laguitarsales.com/index....rs.html?cat=36
Old 08-13-2015, 09:46 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_one View Post
There are a couple of pictures of the Pearl White OF660 in this thread:

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...=360161&page=4

Scroll about 1/3 of the way down the page to see them.
Thanks, but nothing on the page you linked. I did find the white one on page 2, which is what you likely meant.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber