The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-17-2015, 07:21 PM

Default Cargo Short Scale?

What are your thoughts on this guitar.

$1299 at Steve's Music on Queen in Toronto.

Decent guitar? I liked it, but there is only so much you can do in a practice room.

Thanks

Loving the carbon fiber thing. Tired of humidity and its friends, cold and hot.
Old 07-18-2015, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis Webb View Post

Decent guitar? I liked it, but there is only so much you can do in a practice room.

Thanks

As to whether you will like the shorter scale guitar or not is a personal preference. Many here absolutely love the Cargo and especially it's rich sound.

If this is new and built by Peavey, I think $1299 CAD should be a very, very good price since the prices just recently increased substantially.

Forgot to mention that if you are interested in a Cargo, the Journey is said to have similar deep bass sound and has a closer to normal scale, quality reports are good and is priced less than the Cargo. In addition, the neck is removable making it tiny for travelling. A new review just came out here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZDZuHX3BGA

Last edited by ac; 07-18-2015 at 04:52 AM.
Old 07-18-2015, 09:24 PM

Thank you! I tried the Cargo yesterday in a private room at the store and liked it. It seems perfect for vocals and I was able to move around the neck and get some great sounds. It did not have a cutaway which I would prefer. Are there other models or brands with a cutaway neck I could consider?

Also, the pickup in it. I did not see any pickup, but maybe there was a soundhole pickup, I did not see volume, or anything like that on it. I had a rather anemic and distracted sales person (like all at Steve's music) so dealing with them was a little fuzzy. But I did get to try it. Does it have a pickup>
Old 07-19-2015, 12:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Thanks

As a relatively care free travel guitar or guitar for a child it's not bad. I bought one for my son when he was 10 years old. As a serious guitar for an adult, not so much.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 07-19-2015, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Thank you! I tried the Cargo yesterday in a private room at the store and liked it. It seems perfect for vocals and I was able to move around the neck and get some great sounds. It did not have a cutaway which I would prefer. Are there other models or brands with a cutaway neck I could consider?

Also, the pickup in it. I did not see any pickup, but maybe there was a soundhole pickup, I did not see volume, or anything like that on it. I had a rather anemic and distracted sales person (like all at Steve's music) so dealing with them was a little fuzzy. But I did get to try it. Does it have a pickup>
Are you certain that was a Cargo? Cargo's have a deep cutaway and ergonomic back. Perhaps it was a CA OX?

Blackbird Lucky 13
Old 07-19-2015, 07:43 AM
Anticipation Junkie

I also question if what you played and are interested in is actually a CA Cargo. Unless Peavey has recently released a non-cutaway model, it's not. I'm not sure if even the OX comes in a non-cutaway.

As for the Cargo, it's a fine guitar. I love mine and will never sell it. For its small size it sounds remarkably big. As for the cost of the one you're considering, if it is a Cargo, whether or not the price is good also depends on whether the finish is the RT (road tough), RAW, or gloss.
Old 07-19-2015, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
I also question if what you played and are interested in is actually a CA Cargo. Unless Peavey has recently released a non-cutaway model, it's not. I'm not sure if even the OX comes in a non-cutaway.

As for the Cargo, it's a fine guitar. I love mine and will never sell it. For its small size it sounds remarkably big. As for the cost of the one you're considering, if it is a Cargo, whether or not the price is good also depends on whether the finish is the RT (road tough), RAW, or gloss.
Thanks Acousticado, you are right. The only non-cutaway CA is The Legacy Dread. All the other models are cutaway...

Blackbird Lucky 13
Old 07-19-2015, 10:55 AM
Charter Member

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber