The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-14-2015, 02:55 PM

It seems this pin less bridge has been quite a hit going by some of the recent emails I have had from people wanting it after reading this post.
This bridge has been hand carved out of a solid block of laminated carbon fibre made up of over 30 layers. When I hand shape the carbon it brings out this beautiful layering and gives an almost wood grain look.
There are various designs of pin less bridge out there with most of them having the strings feed through holes on the bridge itself. This is a simple solution but I never really liked it as it doesn't couple the strings to the top like a pin bridge does.
For this design I have created slots that allow the ball ends to feed right through the bridge and lock into little slots so the ball end is still pulling on the underside of the soundboard in the same way as with the pin bridge.
Its a simple and effective solution but unfortunately its not a simple part to produce so it does add a little bit to a custom order.
Glad you guys are enjoying my work though.
Alistair
Old 07-16-2015, 09:22 AM

Alistair, thanks for the detail on the bridge. I'll definitely opt for it, I'll email you so as you don't have to guess who I am

Ian

Emerald X20 Artisan
Taylor Baby
Martin D-28
Taylor 114ce
Simon & Patrick SP6
Old 07-16-2015, 05:31 PM

Hi,
That is a truly beautiful instrument. I wasn't aware of the pinless bridge, but it certainly makes a lot of sense. I like it. I'm currently trying to get all my ducks in a row so that I can place my order. I'll be going with the pinless bridge also.

Duncan
Old 07-16-2015, 06:19 PM

I think this bridge shape looks better on the X20 than the standard bridge...it slightly grounds it, a more traditional bridge shape on an untraditional guitar.

I have a similar bridge on my Emerald, but the tie version, which I'm currently using as string-thru with great results. Comfortable, too!
Here's a quick cell phone vid showing the way the bridge shifts in the light:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber