The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-30-2011, 09:48 PM

Default Recording King...?

Hey I've been looking for guitars and ran across the brand of Recording King. Any opinions about the quality of these guitars? Particularly the ROS-647 000? The pricing is right and they have the style I'm looking for. So, does anyone know how these guitars compare to Martins, Gibsons, Santa Cruz's, etc? Or are they similar to any other brands? I am trying to get good input because there isn't a way for me to get my hands on a Recording King; they're only online. Are they worth my time thinking about??

Thanks!
Sam
Old 01-30-2011, 10:10 PM

Default Hi Sam...

As you will note from my signature line, I have an RK 000-14 fret in mahogany and spruce. I love it. A great value for the money I spent. I happen to believe that RK imports a great line of quality acoustic guitars (and other musical instruments), designed after golden era Martins (and some Gibson influences as well). There tag line says that their guitars are designed in the states but built in china.

Having given them high praise (well deserved in my opinion), if you want Martin, then the RK is not going to get you there. But they are in the ballpark.

If you would like more information in an atmosphere that is a tad bit more specific to high end pac rim guitars, I would suggest checking out the unofficial blueridge guitar forum.

john

Martin OM-15m custom

Opinions subject to change due to experience...

Last edited by Idaho John; 01-30-2011 at 10:23 PM.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:32 PM

I have a ROS-616 all mahogany, which sounds very similar to, and every bit as fine as my Breedlove Revival Series 000-M (twice the money).
Old 01-30-2011, 11:33 PM

I have a ROS-647 and I take it to music lessons all the time. The sound is very much what you expect from a high quality production and the craftsmanship exceeds most of the Chinese made guitars out there. The nut width is 1 & 13/16 as opposed to 7/8, which I find VERY comfortable. The action on mine was excellent right out of the gate but I do suggest changing the stock strings right away. The neck is a modified V and adds a heft and resonance to the guitar.

It's not a $3000 custom guitar of course, but I found the models I tried more consistent than the Blueridge parlors. I got rid of the blueridge and I'm keeping this one.

One thing to note: this has nitro and it checks very much like the old school guitars did. I'm told that a slightly heavier nitro finish checks a lot. it really doesn't impact the sound and it just adds to the relic look with the toner.

Think about this guitar or the 627. Both are great guitars.

Last edited by limnephilidae; 01-30-2011 at 11:48 PM.
Old 01-31-2011, 04:11 PM

I'll let you know later this week when my ROS-06 12 fret slothead comes in. I have high expectations from all the YouTube videos I watched. I think I'll be very happy even considering the low price point.

I wouldn't immediately be drawn to the ROS-647 because I am wary of small guitars with rosewood B/S, which tend to lack the midrange and sound too bright (like the Martin 000-28 models I have played). But check out this video and review. The guitar sounds fantastic and he mentions the balanced tone without piercing treble. It's amazing the quality of the bass, midrange and treble in this clip. Hard to find a small guitar with these qualities. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9800NuuHPhs
Taylor 815C, Taylor 410e, Taylor 314ce, Taylor 224ce-K DLX, Taylor 110e, Martin D-18GE, Martin D-14 Woodstock, Little Martin Felix II, Sigma DM-5, Sigma DR-41, Martin 000x1e, Washburn 314k Parlor-125th anniv, Yamaha FG730s, Liberty Mahogany resonator
Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Epiphone Sheraton II, Fender Amer. Std. SSH Strat, Ibanez SZ520

Last edited by macfawlty; 01-31-2011 at 04:19 PM.
Old 01-31-2011, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfawlty View Post
I'll let you know later this week when my ROS-06 12 fret slothead comes in. I have high expectations from all the YouTube videos I watched. I think I'll be very happy even considering the low price point.

I wouldn't immediately be drawn to the ROS-647 because I am wary of small guitars with rosewood B/S, which tend to lack the midrange and sound too bright (like the Martin 000-28 models I have played). But check out this video and review. The guitar sounds fantastic and he mentions the balanced tone without piercing treble. It's amazing the quality of the bass, midrange and treble in this clip. Hard to find a small guitar with these qualities. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9800NuuHPhs

I understand what you are saying about the midrange, but I have 3 12-fretter spruce/rosewood guitars and none of them are too bright. All have a nice deep voice with a strong but reasonable treble. It's a preference for certain but not a design flaw.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:23 PM

My Recording Kings (all three of them) put a big smile on my face.
Martin OM28V
...and newest member of the family, the ROS-06!
Old 01-31-2011, 09:51 PM

I have a 616, lovely guitar with the exception that a batch of them had problems with the bridge and saddle angle. It's in the shop getting fixed. I liked it so much, I am willing to have the bridge redone. I have played a handful of other RK's and really like them.

Another very nice guitar for the money, which I liked better than the 626 I played (and for less $), is the new Wechter 000, all solid wood. It is pretty much the same league as the ROS 626, but a little nicer (to my taste), with a very rich, complex, and balanced tone. Excellent for the money, and even regardless of it. I have been giving the Wechter more attention than my Taylor GS5 lately.

Cheers,
Will
Old 02-01-2011, 06:27 PM

Well I really appreciate all of the imput, first of all.

So on that last post, who all prefers Wechter to Recording King? Has anyone ever played both? I am just a little weary of buying guitars that I haven't played before, but my search in surrounding areas hasn't lead to much so it's starting to look like I am going to have to buy online.

Sam
Old 02-01-2011, 08:22 PM

Default Sam...

would really like to help you with a review of Wechter guitars, but I have no experience with them.

I took a chance on the Recording King and lucked out. Since then, I have seen several others in my area and they all have proven to be quality guitars. Naturally they are not Martins, but RK and Blueridge import acoustic guitars of good to high quality. And the tone is traditional.

Among other imports that I do have experience with is Eastman and they make a very high quality guitar, although the one I owned had a unique tone that was more Taylor like (based on experience with the AC508).

Good luck...

John

Martin OM-15m custom

Opinions subject to change due to experience...
Old 02-01-2011, 08:53 PM

I have been jonesing for one of the Schoenberg designed parlors: the RP1-626-c or RP2-626-c.

I really like the vibe of 12 fret, vintage hardware and look and the cut-away. Very cool.
'19 Telecaster Partscaster
Old 02-01-2011, 09:33 PM

I'm going to Elderly soon -- and I plan to try a few of those models.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:22 PM

Default @ Taylorplayer

Oh definitely take note of your opinions on them! That sounds awesome. If you remember, post on here how you feel about them. Try and see if you think the Martins and such are really worth all the extra money in comparison to the Recording Kings or Wechters, etc. I just don't have a way to get my hands on any to try them out. Any info you pick up would be very helpful!

Sam
Old 02-10-2011, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teleguy View Post
I have been jonesing for one of the Schoenberg designed parlors: the RP1-626-c or RP2-626-c.

I really like the vibe of 12 fret, vintage hardware and look and the cut-away. Very cool.
I sat there in Schoenberg's shop and listened to him play a really soulful fingerstyle piece on one. Wow, it sounded beautiful, especially with his playing. I played one and liked it quite a bit and the nice thing is being able to reach those extra few frets up high. I ended up leaving with the 616 though as it fit my taste and style a bit better. Now that the 616 is in the shop getting fixed, I am loving the Wechter. It is simply a joy to play and a lot of tone for the money.
Old 02-11-2011, 04:18 PM

I can't speak for Wechter, but I really like my RNJ-25, which I bought as a thoroughly replaceable travel guitar for gigs. Most of my guitars are '30s and '40s Gibsons, so I consider this high praise.

The RNJ-25 is a knockoff of a '30s Gibson Nick Lucas model, with solid Sitka spruce top (a vintage NL would have had red spruce) and solid flame maple back and sides. The sunburst is lovely, the braces are scalloped, and the guitar sounds good and plays well.

RK's guitars have, indeed, been designed and completely spec'ed out in the US. They're manufactured in China, but with tight control by the folks in the US. In fact, the only extra setup needed on my straight-from-the-factory guitar was a slight loosening of the truss rod and just a tiny bit of work on the nut slots.

My only serious gripe (and this is a matter of personal taste) is that the neck is too slim, such that I have a tough time getting a full F-chord, with my thumb wrapped around to get the low F note on the bass string. Other than that, I'd make a few mostly aesthetic tweaks--reshape the edges on the bridge to make it look more vintage, more rounded scalloping on the braces (they're scalloped flat on top), a pickguard with a more subtle pattern and the L-00 size and shape, open-gear tuning machines (rather than the bright chrome-plated covered tuners that RK uses), and a much simpler headstock inlay design.

But I am not disappointed in the least. In fact, I am blown away at how good a guitar can be had for not even close to $1000!

--John

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion