The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 10-23-2014, 08:10 PM

Default What wood is this?

Found this piece of wood in my garage and can't remember where it came from. About 4 1/2" wide and 36" long, would make a couple of sides.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:36 PM

My first guess is Phil. Mahogany - Luan.
Old 10-23-2014, 10:19 PM
Charter Member

Looks like mahogany to me, though I'm not an expert on woods.
Old 10-23-2014, 10:23 PM

Location: Darwin, Australia, 12.5 degrees south of the equator

Same guess here, Luan, meranti one of the 20 or so Shorea spp. that are given the same common names.

They used to call this stuff "Pacific maple" in Australia which I have never understood especially when it is so much more like mahogany than maple. It is generally a second fix wood in the building industry, skirting, architrave or dado

Jim
Old 10-24-2014, 02:39 AM

What's the end grain like? Is it quarter sawn?
Old 10-24-2014, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanron View Post
What's the end grain like? Is it quarter sawn?

It seems like a type of mahogany to me but I was not sure of the gold color.
Old 10-24-2014, 08:32 AM

I think it's regular South American Mahogany, but what do I know.
Tom
Old 10-24-2014, 10:40 AM

Yes mahogany in my opinion

www.guitarlessonseastlondon.co.uk
Old 10-24-2014, 01:57 PM

Think we have it.
Quote:
White Meranti

Color/Appearance: Heartwood is a pale yellowish-orange when freshly cut, aging to a golden yellow-brown.
http://www.wood-database.com/lumber-...white-meranti/

I was at a lumber yard that does deal in some exotic woods. Picked up a piece of Red Meranti, stuff seemed light but when I rapped it it rang nicely. Now I don't know if I should get some, the stuff was flat sawn, to do a back and use this one for sides. I'll have to look it up some more.

Last edited by printer2; 10-24-2014 at 02:03 PM.
Old 10-24-2014, 04:07 PM

The (infamous) Shed guitar was built out reclaimed meranti. Light red for the back, dark red for the sides, neck and bridge. Here's the back...(well a bit of it anyway...)

...and the sides...

The top is radiata pine, .

More story about how it came about here.

Sound sample here.

Last edited by Trevor Gore; 10-25-2014 at 08:00 PM. Reason: Fixing links to pics that won't display
Old 10-24-2014, 05:00 PM

That pine looks interesting. Well, why not? Guess I could cut some sides and bend them. If they do not snap I could pick up a piece for the back. Oh well, another guitar to build. life is so hard.

By the way, enjoying your books.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:55 PM

Location: Darwin, Australia, 12.5 degrees south of the equator

I have a fews bit of different coloured (different shorea spp) Meranti here Printer. Often when I have to buy a bit for some other wood project I go through the stack at the local hardware if I find a bit of figured stuff I grab it as well but usually only find ukulele bits as I can't be bothered with 4 or 5 piece backs for a guitar. So keep searching those stacks as it does come up as quarter sawn, It is what I would consider cheap as chips.

Jim
Old 10-25-2014, 08:12 AM

That is what I was doing yesterday, looking for some figured Maple but came up empty handed at the one store. Saw a piece of Padauk there that I was debating about as it was a short board and it was marked down. Went to their other one and searched through a pile of rough cut maple, nothing suitable until I got right to the bottom and found a perfectly flat sawn 2 1/2" x 1" x 5' piece with the end sightly scuffed up. $6 later I am on my way thinking of a multi piece neck.

Going to go back for that Padauk again today as the second store did not have anything. Not much of a supply between the three and not cheap. I did pick up some rough sawn Walnut and Cherry I want to use, shame I did not know much at the time but I bought some quartered White Oak when I first started down this wayward path, should have picked up more.

There are three stores in the city which are the same outfit and other than them all you can get here is Oak and Maple geared to home construction. That is why I tried out the flooring stores where I got lucky and picked up a box of Jatoba for my fretboards.
Old 10-25-2014, 02:05 PM

I just had a thought. On another thread a poster is looking for a luthier to build him a guitar out of walnut and he said it is suppose to sound like koa while I have read it is in the mahogany camp. Not to nitpick where it lies, just thought if it is similar to mahogany and people like all mahogany guitars, could you use walnut as a top and would it sound similar to an all mahogany?

Been looking it up, seems to have been done by a few along with Taylor. Another idea poped into my head (awww, do we really have to hear another one?), no no, this is good. Have a walnut guitar with a cherry top and a maple neck. Tasty. (as everybody groans)

Last edited by printer2; 10-25-2014 at 02:14 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair