The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-24-2017, 08:26 AM
Charter Member

For me, a pickup is an unwanted feature. I've only had one instrument (a mandolin) with a pickup and it wasn't available any other way.

More generally, I wouldn't expect a pickup to add value but it probably doesn't detract, either, if its installation is inconspicuous. Obviously, an installation that involved invasive alterations, such as a barn door or a couple of knobs protruding through the top of the guitar, would be a major turn-off to many potential buyers.

Another issue is the particular pickup system. If it's exactly what a potential buyer would install, it's likely at least a modest plus to have it already there. If it isn't, it's no plus and potentially a minus. Again, how involved its installation was can play a part in how the added pickup is judged.
Old 09-24-2017, 08:40 AM

If it's a production instrument with an unobtrusive pickup, I doubt it will impact the value of the guitar.

I installed a K&K Pure Mini in my D-28. Although it's a great sounding and discrete pickup, I don't think I would carry over that modification to any of my other acoustics. I'd much rather get a guitar (ex: Takamine) that was designed specifically as an Acoustic Electric.
Old 09-24-2017, 08:58 AM

I think so much depends on not only the guitar, but the amplification and application (and the sound monkey at the end of it all). Just heard a recording of the latest gig I did with my Taylor 814ceDLX and their ES2 system. I was abhored at how horrible and cheap it sounded. I'd have sounded as good with a $150 Washburn. Totally mortified.

And so in pondering the same question relative to my '72 Martin D35 which is still original, except for the bridge being filled and new saddles slots recut with a split saddle for intonation. I've realized I could spend a ton on a permanent installation like a K&K mini, but because I have two other non-electrified guitars and I don't want to ream out the end pin I'd go with a removable soundhole pickup and an external preamp. While not the best, but certainly more than good enough considering the aforementioned conditions, I have a Seymour Duncan Woody XL pickup (adjustable poles that I found important for dialing in balance) that now has a bobtailed cord so that I can use any guitar cable with it and not dragging around 14' of cable. It gets plugged into a LR Baggs Gig Pro preamp that slides onto the guitar strap (or alternately gets clipped to my music stand).
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 09-24-2017, 09:25 AM

If the guitar has a K&K in it, that's a PLUS for me.
Old 09-24-2017, 09:33 AM
Charter Member

I don't think it devalues the guitar unless it's a true vintage pre war Martin or Gibson? I doesn't stop me from purchasing a guitar used if it does in fact have an aftermarket pickup installed. Barring "barn door" electronics of course. Almost all of my guitars have passive sound board transducers (K&K mini, JJB-330, or McIntyre Feather GF-30). I think all buyers are different. Some won't touch a guitar that's been "altered" in any way while others (like myself) don't mind so much. Like others have said I actually see it as a bonus in some cases depending on the pickup?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 09-24-2017, 09:35 AM
Charter Member

It adds value if
1. I want a pick up and
2. It's the pick up I want (usually k&k).
Old 09-24-2017, 09:35 AM

I'd think any permanent alteration to an acoustic guitar will reduce its value in the long run.

We drill out endpin holes and add jacks, etc. because our current technology forces us to do that - but who knows what technology will be available 10, 20, 30 years down the road?

I keep thinking back to the oddball devices I used to see mounted to the dowel sticks in 1920s-1940s jazz banjos that were installed to put incandescent light bulbs inside the banjo to dry out the calfskin heads between gigs during humid weather. Great idea at the time - but they became obsolescent oddities a decade or so later when Remo Weatherking heads were introduced.

I'm wondering what guitarists in 2035 will think about the 1/2" diameter holes drilled in the butts of their "vintage" acoustics? My hunch is that the guitars that haven't been modified will be more valuable - but who knows?
Taylor GS Mini-e Spruce/Rosewood
Waterloo WL-S
Wechter TO-8418

Cordoba 24T tenor ukulele
Kanile'a Islander MST-4 tenor ukulele
Kiwaya KTC-1 concert ukulele
Kolohe concert ukulele
Mainland Mahogany soprano ukulele
Ohana SK-28 soprano ukulele
Brüko No. 6 soprano ukulele

Last edited by Swamp Yankee; 09-24-2017 at 09:50 AM.
Old 09-24-2017, 11:47 AM
Charter Member

It just depends how you play. I dislike any modification of the end pin. I don’t play amplified, but I do play with a strap. I can’t stand the K&K type end pin jack and the old Bob Colosi 1/2” end pins are no longer made. As an unamplified, stand up player, I like having a heel strap pin placed on the neck. To me, the ability to put a strap on any guitar makes sense. There’s no down side to having strap pins. I prefer my straps on the heel rather than the peg head. Finally, the exact opposite is also bothersome. Some high end luthier guitars don’t have an end pin drilled and I’m uncomfortable drilling into a super expensive guitar after the final finish.
Old 09-24-2017, 12:31 PM

3 factors
the guitar
the pickup
buyer desire/need

It happens that one of my git's pickup is worth more than the guitar...presuming the buyer wants the pu
Old 09-24-2017, 12:33 PM

For certain guitars to certain buyers, yes.
For others, no.
Old 09-24-2017, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bho View Post
I am wondering whether adding a pickup to a guitar reduces resale value.
It does if I am the buyer. But I may be in the minority.

Another question may be "Does it decrease the potential buyer pool."
Old 09-24-2017, 05:30 PM

All you end pin jack haters have never heard of the tapastring vintage jack?
Old 09-24-2017, 05:34 PM
Charter Member

Personal opinions will vary. For me, I move away from Guitars with electronics.
Old 09-24-2017, 05:52 PM

It depends on the buyer. For me I won't pay extra to have a pickup, I would rather choose one myself if I choose to play it plugged in. The strap button doesn't take away or add value to me. BTW I think the K&K is overrated. I have only heard them on youtube and sounds no better than my LR BAGGS M1A. If I had to buy a new pickup it would be an M80. I play at church and we have 2 locations, at one site I use my amp, and the other the PA. So it would benefit me to go from active to passive mode.
Old 09-24-2017, 06:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcmey View Post
It depends on the buyer. For me I won't pay extra to have a pickup, I would rather choose one myself if I choose to play it plugged in. The strap button doesn't take away or add value to me. BTW I think the K&K is overrated. I have only heard them on youtube and sounds no better than my LR BAGGS M1A. If I had to buy a new pickup it would be an M80. I play at church and we have 2 locations, at one site I use my amp, and the other the PA. So it would benefit me to go from active to passive mode.
I do the same. A K&K mini and a K&K Pure XLR preamp will give you what you need at both locations. But I've not tried a Baggs sound hole pickup so I may be behind the curve?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion