The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-22-2017, 06:10 PM
Guest 1511

Default Re-fret all or just what's needed?

I might re-fret a used guitar I bought. Question is, should I just replace the frets that are dented or replace the whole set so they all match? I suppose if the others are a little low too, they would end up low against the new ones (thing is I can't tell; they seem normal to the touch) and the new ones would have to be leveled down. My second question is, what do you think I would have to pay?

The guitar in questions: Gibson Songwriter Deluxe Custom with ebony FB. Frets 1-5 have slight dents under the B string. As an aside, what in the world was the previous owner playing that (s)he wore a slight groove under just that string on the first five frets? The only thing I can think of is that (s)he played the same blues tune nightly, and it required a lot of b-bends.
Old 09-22-2017, 06:56 PM

Evo fret wire - the whole thing, cost me $180.
Gibson J-50 (K&K Pure Mini)
Martin D-35 (Trance Audio M)
Gibson J-35 Vintage (Trance Audio M)
Martin 1937 D-28 Authentic "Aged"
Old 09-22-2017, 07:09 PM

Perhaps they would be fine with a light leveling and dressing. No?

2023 Taylor AD22e
2001 Guild F47RCE

Certified Fretting Technician - Galloup School of Luthiery 2005
Guitar Builder/Tech
Old 09-22-2017, 07:25 PM
Charter Member

Much would depend on whether the current frets were ever dressed, and if so how much. Your repair tech can measure the height of the upper frets to find out. If they have never been dressed, or if only dressed a thousandth or two, you will likely have the option to just replace the lower five or seven frets provided the height of the new frets are compatible with the remaining ones. And, as already mentioned, a dressing and crowning might be all you need for all of them.
Old 09-22-2017, 08:09 PM

My practice is just what's needed.
Old 09-22-2017, 08:50 PM

One advantage of a full refret is that the fretboard can be leveled with the proper radius, while removing divots and humps.

A few nice ones, a few beaters, and a few I should probably sell...
Old 09-22-2017, 09:24 PM

If it was my money... Replace the bad frets, level and crown... And off you go. That way - they aren't cutting a bunch of height off the rest of the frets...

The exception is if they had been already dressed it multiple times and don't have any meat left.. Then - do the whole board including levelling the board prior to re-fretting.
Old 09-22-2017, 09:34 PM

It's not unusual for there to be groves cut into frets under the 2nd and 1st strings under normal playing. The guitar should be able to stand at least one and maybe two fret levelings. No use tearing up the fretboard putting new frets in at this point.
Old 09-22-2017, 10:00 PM

I agree with GH. "Slight dents" sound like a levelling and recrowning. No need to replace them at this stage. Your tech is the best person to advise you on this.

I'd replace with EVO Gold if it comes to it.
Old 09-22-2017, 10:19 PM

Exactly, sounds like a dressing is in order rather than a refret.

You should be able to dress them once or twice before having to replace them, unless it's extreme.
Old 09-22-2017, 11:45 PM
Charter Member

My longtime technician has done both full and partial refrets on my old Martin. I tend to go with his opinion.

- Glenn
Old 09-23-2017, 12:46 AM

Unless there are buzzing issues you don't need to refret, level, or crown any frets at all. Just play the guitar. Dents begin form on frets in a matter of months if you play a guitar enough. It's completely normal.

I have an 18 year old guitar with pretty sizeable dents all over the fretboard, especially 1-5 on the high e and b, and it has almost no buzzing to speak of. And I am the type of guy who obsesses over one little buzz anywhere on the neck.
Old 09-23-2017, 02:09 AM
Guest 1511

Quote:
Originally Posted by ii Cybershot ii View Post
Unless there are buzzing issues you don't need to refret, level, or crown any frets at all. Just play the guitar. Dents begin form on frets in a matter of months if you play a guitar enough. It's completely normal.

I have an 18 year old guitar with pretty sizeable dents all over the fretboard, especially 1-5 on the high e and b, and it has almost no buzzing to speak of. And I am the type of guy who obsesses over one little buzz anywhere on the neck.
What you said here is what I'm going to do:

I think I was over-worrying this problem. The advice here has helped me to decide to not refret, and not to even do any crowning and leveling. I played it for a while today and frankly I don't notice the slight grooves while playing, so "why spend the money until I need to" is what I've decided.
Old 09-23-2017, 02:10 AM
Charter Member

Default EVO Gold Frets ! Beware.

I had one of my Collings refretted with Evos. Perfect job by an exceeding good tech/luthier.

Whilst fret wear is a thing of the past on that guitar - you should be aware that they really change the sound of the guitar. Trebles and bass - all much more shrill and trebly. Be warned.
Old 09-23-2017, 05:13 AM
Charter Member

The first 3 frets on my old DY-74 were shot, so I had my guitar tech look at it. He recommended that the first 5 frets be replaced, and the rest dressed a bit.

So that's what he did, and he also treated the ebony fret board while he was at it. He did a great job, the guitar looked like brand-new when I got it back, or at least the fret board. Plays perfectly.

He told me that he really likes working on old Yairis, as they are well-built with top-notch woods.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion