The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 09-21-2017, 03:02 PM

Default Aaron Hernandez had "severe CTE"

He was only 27 years old. Shocking. And somewhat illuminating.

How long can the NFL postpone taking definitive action? And will the fans oppose modifications to the game that would reduce the human toll?

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/21/s...e-iphone-share

The former Patriots tight end was convicted of murder in 2015. He was found dead in his prison cell in April.
Old 09-21-2017, 03:06 PM

He also had long standing, pre-NFL, associations with some very unsavory individuals. He continued the associations after turning pro. Perhaps the Patriots should have stepped in to eliminate those ties as that is more likely the root cause of the murder and suicide.
Old 09-21-2017, 03:24 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
He also had long standing, pre-NFL, associations with some very unsavory individuals. He continued the associations after turning pro. Perhaps the Patriots should have stepped in to eliminate those ties as that is more likely the root cause of the murder and suicide.
Perhaps, but the fact that Hernandez had severe CTE is another serious matter altogether and the one under discussion here, that the NFL needs to address more aggressively.
Old 09-21-2017, 03:35 PM
Charter Member

Saw something that his family wants to sue the NFL and the Patriots.
Old 09-21-2017, 03:39 PM

Ad hominem attacks aside, CTE is a serious issue. Especially in a country where we encourage our children to play football at a very young age.

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Old 09-21-2017, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
There are at least two issues that come to mind for me:

1. 27 is very young, and to discover that someone can develop severe CTE that early in life is shocking, and that fact will inform discussions about possible risks to young players (Pop Warner, high school, college, short career players) and likely spur interest in research that is more broadly based than has been done. And I am wondering whether this finding about Hernadez and other findings are going to nudge the NFL into definitive action sometime soon, and how fans might respond to proposed changes.

2. Whether CTE may contribute to any violent acts, ranging from suicides completed by "good dudes" like Duerson, Junior Seau, and others, to murders committed by OJ, Hernandez, and Jovan Belcher. Partitioning the blame to various factors is much more controversial, and may always be. I'm hoping that is not where we focus in this thread.
Old 09-21-2017, 03:49 PM
Charter Member

Hernandez appeared by all accounts to be a thug from the get go, but this certainly adds color to what happened. Hard to imagine it wasn't a factor in some of his behavior. It's really good that we talk about it, that the dangers of a sustained career in the sport are well understood, though I'm less convinced the NFL needs to do something additional to the game to address this.

I don't love that people are pulling their kids out of football because of CTE. 99% of kids who play football won't play in college, let alone have a pro career. I don't see evidence that playing a few years in youth and/or HS football is going to set someone up for a life of CTE. We don't know yet one way or another, and am glad the conversation is happening.

Football is a great team game that breeds toughness, teamwork, and perseverance among other things. I'm wary of an over-reaction in how we as a country examine what to do about this issue. I feel for those are suffering from CTE– what they are going through has got to be terrible. I feel even more for that generation that had no idea the risks. I think it's good that some are choosing to leave the pro ranks to save their brains. Not sure the NFL can do anything meaningful to reduce risk. They can likely only do things that let them say they were trying. I don't want to see a great game villanized over this.
Old 09-21-2017, 03:59 PM

Default Football's Days are Numbered

I'm reading that kids are not signing up to play football as they did in the past. I'm sure parents are going to think twice about letting their kid play football, instead, go to baseball, basketball, soccer, hockey. I think in time football will be come a dying sport as fewer sign up for it and follow through into college and pros. Only the disadvantaged who see it as a way into money will pursue it. That won't provide enough quality players to make the game fun to watch.

I can't see what changes they can make to solve this.

The secret to life is enjoying the passage of time.
Old 09-21-2017, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyhu View Post
There are at least two issues that come to mind for me:

1. 27 is very young, and to discover that someone can develop severe CTE that early in life is shocking, and that fact will inform discussions about possible risks to young players (Pop Warner, high school, college, short career players) and likely spur interest in research that is more broadly based than has been done. And I am wondering whether this finding about Hernadez and other findings are going to nudge the NFL into definitive action sometime soon, and how fans might respond to proposed changes.

2. Whether CTE may contribute to any violent acts, ranging from suicides completed by "good dudes" like Duerson, Junior Seau, and others, to murders committed by OJ, Hernandez, and Jovan Belcher. Partitioning the blame to various factors is much more controversial, and may always be. I'm hoping that is not where we focus in this thread.
Would some or all of those mentioned be said to have these symptoms?

"Irritability, rage, aggression, violence, uncontrolled high energy (mania), false beliefs (delusions), and addiction."

Those are the effects cited for mis-use of anabolic steroids to which I imagine none of those people are strangers.
Old 09-21-2017, 04:21 PM
Charter Member

The NFL ratings are dropping. This year, ratings dropped 14% from last year. Two reasons below.

1. This is due to the CTE issue where people are becoming more morally aware that they are encouraging/supporting a game where the risk is high that players will end up with Traumatic Brain Injury.

2. Colin Kaepernick's inability to be signed because of a "hidden agenda" not to sign him by the NFL owner's.

Most people will take a stance with either or both of these issues. I know a few friends who stopped watching the NFL altogether.

I agree as what was stated previously, it is a dying sport that is losing its fanbase as the public becomes more aware of the TBI issues. It will be interesting to see what happens over the next 5 years.

Last edited by LarryVe; 09-21-2017 at 04:35 PM.
Old 09-21-2017, 04:22 PM
Charter Member

CTE in sports is a big deal. And it seems like the links are firmly established between cause & effect. One of my young grandsons is playing peewee football and this is a difficult choice for parents when all the friends are playing. He’s playing cornerback, but his parents are pretty concerned. The recent study published in JAMA showed 99% of NFL players and 87% of all football players they studied were afflicted.
http://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama...stract/2645104
Old 09-21-2017, 05:22 PM

You haven't seen CTE in 27 y/o's because you don't look for it. People who play football receive head injuries. We can see them earlier and in greater detail because the technology is amazing and advanced. Unfortunately, the treatments aren't. I have no respect for the nfl, can't believe anyone over the age of 10 does.
Old 09-21-2017, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
CTE in sports is a big deal. And it seems like the links are firmly established between cause & effect. One of my young grandsons is playing peewee football and this is a difficult choice for parents when all the friends are playing. He’s playing cornerback, but his parents are pretty concerned. The recent study published in JAMA showed 99% of NFL players and 87% of all football players they studied were afflicted.
http://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama...stract/2645104
Really shouldn't be a difficult choice. With all we know, revert to flag football.
Old 09-21-2017, 05:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyhu View Post
others, to murders committed by OJ, .
In fairness, he did not commit any murders.
Old 09-21-2017, 05:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryVe View Post
The NFL ratings are dropping. This year, ratings dropped 14% from last year. Two reasons below.

1. This is due to the CTE issue where people are becoming more morally aware that they are encouraging/supporting a game where the risk is high that players will end up with Traumatic Brain Injury.

2. Colin Kaepernick's inability to be signed because of a "hidden agenda" not to sign him by the NFL owner's.

Most people will take a stance with either or both of these issues. I know a few friends who stopped watching the NFL altogether.

I agree as what was stated previously, it is a dying sport that is losing its fanbase as the public becomes more aware of the TBI issues. It will be interesting to see what happens over the next 5 years.
Ratings are dropping because of too many commercials, and losers like Colin Kaepernick. Colin made his pwn bed, and now he wants to blame others for their views.

I stopped watching the NFL years ago, because it just wasn't fun to watch. It's way too expensive to go to games.

College, on the other hand, is fun as anything.

Last edited by Kerbie; 09-21-2017 at 05:41 PM. Reason: Edited

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic