The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-14-2017, 04:25 PM

Default intonation

I was very interested in a carbon guitar because I live in an RV and like to have my guitar in outdoor settings. I went to the LA guitar store to try them out. I tried rainsong and blackbird, and in both cases, and with multiple models, when I played a G chord the low G (finger on 3rd fret of low E string) was sharp. If I let up on the pressure it would be in tune but not play cleanly. Very strange!! The people working there didn't know what the problem was. I tried one other carbon, forget the brand but it was very heavy, and it did not have that problem. Given how popular rainsong is, in particular, I found this intonation issue very odd. Has anyone else had that problem?
Old 09-14-2017, 04:57 PM

That G being sharp is a VERY common problem in guitars. I used to tune my low E a hair flat just to compensate when songs had a lot of G chords in them. But was it the 3rd fret of the low E... or the B string? Where you playing an open B or the 3rd fret on the B string? Did you test the G on the low E with a tuner? Sometimes one string can sound out, but it's not the culprit. It's also possible that the tone of the Rainsong accentuated this common problem. I found they have more note separation. As such, things can stand out more.

I never play the standard G chord (open B) because my ears always hear the B being off on ALL guitars. I have very sensitive pitch and know that perfect intonation (as the Rainsong website states) is an absolute myth. Now you can have GOOD intonation, even GREAT intonation. But PERFECT is a fallacy. The second someone says perfect I wonder what else they are trying to make me swallow! That all being said, I like Rainsong guitars. Compensated nuts are getting more common now. They greatly help with first position tuning issues. However there are still VERY few techs competent enough to make one. Most of them think there's no need for one! Mcpherson's come with such a nut, so their's should be very good.

It's also possible that Rainsong got that guitar wrong. I had a CA OX that was HORRIBLE. The saddle was too far forward by a good 1/8 inch. There was no way to fix it's horrible intonation. If it was wood, refilling and recutting of the slot would solve it. Not with carbon. I couldn't believe it left the factory that way! I have heard from at least one other player who had the same issue. I sent mine back.

Also, welcome to the forum! I'm sure more will chime in yet.
Old 09-14-2017, 05:01 PM
Charter Member

I don't think I've ever owned an acoustic guitar where I didn't have to tune the low E down a few cents so the G was in tune on that string. Most people can't seem to hear it but it drives me nuts and I have sweeten the tuning on that string a tiny bit.
Old 09-14-2017, 06:26 PM

Low E (6th string) and B (2nd string) are notorious for needing a bit of sweetening on almost every guitar. I tend to fine tune to A notes while fretting string #6 at the fifth fret (string #4 at the 4th fret for the B string) because that splits the difference between fretted and open strings --- a trick taught to me by a pro player at a guitar camp. There was a major thread here recently about James Taylor's personal sweetened tunings and how many cents off he tunes certain strings. It is a surprising number.....

I also wonder if Rainsong is using jumbo frets. You can press too hard and force a fretted note sharp if the fret crown is high.
Old 09-14-2017, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
I don't think I've ever owned an acoustic guitar where I didn't have to tune the low E down a few cents so the G was in tune on that string.
+1 on this. I have always had the same problem with every acoustic I have owned, and I always apply the same solution.

I own a guitar.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:02 PM
Charter Member

I liked it better before I developed 'an ear'...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber