The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-11-2017, 01:29 PM

Default Rainsong Not Loud Enough!!!

Just returned from a four day festival played a bunch, but my Rainsong in jams was to low in volume. People kept telling me they couldn't hear my guitar! Bummed, put on a new set of Retrospect and it was better but smoked by the wood Martins! May be forced into going back to the dark side. This year the weather was not an issue and I was really sorry I didn't bring a wood guitar.
Old 09-11-2017, 02:07 PM

Which RainSong? String Gauge?

I've A-B'ed my H-DR vs. an HD-28V right up against a wall to hear what the guitars could put out and found them about the same. Both were strung with lights (12s); Elixir Poly on mine and Martin Bronze on his.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 09-11-2017, 02:15 PM

I play at bluegrass jams all the time with my Rainsong WS-1000, and it holds it own with any wood guitar present, either indoors or outdoors. When indoors, I sometimes have to lay off a bit to avoid overwhelming nearby guitars or singing voices -- and I'm not a shy, quiet singer.

There must be more to this story..... Do you use a flat pick? Is it a light or heavy gauge pick? Are you a soft strummer, or more aggressive?
Old 09-11-2017, 02:20 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Which model...smaller body parlor?
Old 09-11-2017, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
Which RainSong? String Gauge?

I've A-B'ed my H-DR vs. an HD-28V right up against a wall to hear what the guitars could put out and found them about the same. Both were strung with lights (12s); Elixir Poly on mine and Martin Bronze on his.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
I play at bluegrass jams all the time with my Rainsong WS-1000, and it holds it own with any wood guitar present, either indoors or outdoors. When indoors, I sometimes have to lay off a bit to avoid overwhelming nearby guitars or singing voices -- and I'm not a shy, quiet singer.

There must be more to this story..... Do you use a flat pick? Is it a light or heavy gauge pick? Are you a soft strummer, or more aggressive?
Hey guys,

Jerry has an APLE, so a 12-fret OM. Here is a thread about a different trip:

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=474349

Not sure if that's the guitar he is talking about. If so, than maybe it's time for a CF dreadnought.
Old 09-11-2017, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
...maybe it's time for a CF dreadnought.
No Ted, don't suggest that. Should I ever get the chance to jam with Jerry M, I would still like to hear myself in the mix!

Last edited by steelvibe; 09-11-2017 at 08:26 PM.
Old 09-11-2017, 08:19 PM

That is odd, my Rainsong Shorty is considerably louder than my Martin D-35.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 09-11-2017, 09:19 PM

Ted's right on, Martin Retro 12/53 heavy 1.5 Blue chip pick, outside playing fiddle tune leads and vocals with chords. Had to really dig in to be heard and playing that hard caused tension and made it hard to play fluid. Loudest guitar I heard was a Breedlove D it was Very Loud and cut thru the best Was plying with bass standup, mandolin ,fiddle, dobro. Sure felt like my APLE was just low in the mix
Old 09-12-2017, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
Hey guys,

Jerry has an APLE, so a 12-fret OM. Here is a thread about a different trip:

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=474349

Not sure if that's the guitar he is talking about. If so, than maybe it's time for a CF dreadnought.
I've played an APLE a few times. It is quieter and darker sounding. I like the tone, but thought it could get lost around other instruments. 80/20's may help it cut through a bit.
Old 09-12-2017, 03:04 AM

Not a Rainsong, and not bluegrass - I played regularly with a jugband, and initially I took my CA GX. Basically couldn't be heard at all, I ended up borrowing (and then buying) a resonator. That did the trick!! But I don't think its the carbon fiber - as Ted says, you just need a dred sized guitar. (Or a resonator!!)
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 09-12-2017, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
That is odd, my Rainsong Shorty is considerably louder than my Martin D-35.
As a rule, most CF guitars tend to be louder, and project more than a similar size wood acoustic, but a bluegrass band can get mighty loud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdq View Post
...as Ted says, you just need a dred sized guitar. (Or a resonator!!)
This, in a nutshell.
Old 09-12-2017, 12:32 PM

I would say the darker tone was a good description which is what I liked about this guitar. The Breedlove I heard was the loudest acoustic I have experienced. Still love my RS but need some more projection, couldn't use my little amp there not allowed, that would have done it.
Old 09-12-2017, 02:21 PM

Jerry, see if you can find a Rainsong Jumbo to try. It's by far the loudest CF available.
Old 09-12-2017, 02:42 PM

A string change could make a big difference and is worth trying. I use my Shorty for songleading and have noticed it is significantly louder unplugged with Elixir PB Nanos than with Retros. The Retros are awesome when I'm singing by myself, but when everyone joins in, the guitar kinda gets 'lost'. That being said, it is my LOUDest guitar, but I don't have a dread or jumbo. I play the Shorty at an old time jam occasionally and I have to hold back a little not to overpower the mix of instruments.
Old 09-14-2017, 01:17 PM

I have a Shorty, which if Ted is right, should be almost identical to your 12-fret OM, and it's pretty loud for it's size. That being said, I just picked up a new WS body (see my NGD post) and it's L.O.U.D. I've had a chance to play Rainsong's dreadnought, and it's also really loud (and tonally well-suited for bluegrass). I would imagine the Jumbo would just be another step louder than that.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber