The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 09-06-2017, 10:25 PM

Going a little east. Hopefully that keeps up and it goes out to see. I don't want to see this:

Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 09-07-2017, 08:37 AM

This from the NWS on storm surge.

"Southeastern and central Bahamas...15 to 20 ft"

Some of those islands can't be any higher than that... I've never been to the Bahamas so I dont know if people live on those low lying islands. If they do, I hope they are not there now.

....and that's it....

...Until I get better

Gary , From Connecticut
Old 09-07-2017, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjd100 View Post
This from the NWS on storm surge.

"Southeastern and central Bahamas...15 to 20 ft"

Some of those islands can't be any higher than that... I've never been to the Bahamas so I dont know if people live on those low lying islands. If they do, I hope they are not there now.
Yes they do and they are flat. SE Florida is also no more than 20 feet above sea level as well.
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 09-07-2017, 09:10 AM

Default Irma Evacuation Decisions.

Once again the time has come to make choices.

Screen Shot 2017-09-06 at 6.12.44 PM.jpg

Having to choose what one's can't be replaced, and what ones to leave in harm's way. There's only so much room!

All that are going are Gibson's. 1954 LG2, 2013 LG2 American Eagle, 2013 J45 that I got from Hawk, 1963 LG0, and 1993 J100 Extra.

Going copy 9:7:2017.jpg

Staying are: 1994 Martin D1, 1997 Martin D1, 1999 Martin D18, Fender Jaguar, 2013 Gibson J35, and some other odds and ends. Have the valuables stacked up in a bathtub (so if it floods it drains) and two empty cases and a heavy gig bag on top for padding in case the roof collapses on them.

Staying copy 9:7:2017.jpg

Prayers needed, I'll check in from Moultrie, GA when we get there late tonight, I'll be ready for drink and to pick a few tunes to relax by then.
Gibson 1963 LG0
Gibson 2013 J45
Gibson 2013 LG2 American Eagle
Martin 1993 D1
And many more......

Tom
Palm Bay, FL
Old 09-07-2017, 11:05 AM

We left St Kitts Monday, cutting vacation 3 days short. Glad we did.
Old 09-07-2017, 01:19 PM
Charter Member

There are 7 million people that live south of me and I am just north of the West Palm area. There are basically 2-3 main roads out of Florida. I-95 and the Fl. turnpike turn into 2 lanes near where I am. Most of the gas stations around here are out of gas. The ones that are open have a 1-2 hr lines. The storm is going to pretty much cover the whole state. If you can go, where do you go?

The Emergency managers are asking folks to evacuate in miles, not hundreds of miles. They say "do not evacuate for wind, only for flooding." Fuel is the real problem and they do not want folks stuck in traffic during the storm. They ask that if you can stay in your house (not a mobile home, inferior structure, or flood prone area) to stay where you are. Plus, if you leave, it may be a long time before you can ever come back. The highways will be jammed and no fuel available.

It's a real problem and a dilemma we are facing.
Old 09-07-2017, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
Going a little east. Hopefully that keeps up and it goes out to see. I don't want to see this.
5 PM model runs have it tracking back a bit west. Next run is at 11 PM. No good way out of this one.

....and that's it....

...Until I get better

Gary , From Connecticut
Old 09-07-2017, 08:42 PM
G625 mistral-k

I am flying down to FL in the morning. I had friends purchase water for me and I simply need to locate gas for our car and fill the gas containers for our generator. I will put the hurricane shutters up on Saturday and my plan is to ride out the storm (not in a flood zone) with my candles, tuna fish, flashlights and my OM.

I have several elderly neighbors who I spoke with this week, who live on either side of me. During the call, I could hear the concern and fear in their voice, so it was very reassuring to them I will be next door during after the storm. I told them, I am little bit happy for them for at least the howling wind and rain will drown out my playing so they won't hear me.

Hope my fellow Floridians and folks in Georgia where a second landfall is forecast remain safe.
Old 09-07-2017, 09:21 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basalt Beach View Post
I am flying down to FL in the morning. I had friends purchase water for me and I simply need to locate gas for our car and fill the gas containers for our generator. I will put the hurricane shutters up on Saturday and my plan is to ride out the storm (not in a flood zone) with my candles, tuna fish, flashlights and my OM.

I have several elderly neighbors who I spoke with this week, who live on either side of me. During the call, I could hear the concern and fear in their voice, so it was very reassuring to them I will be next door during after the storm. I told them, I am little bit happy for them for at least the howling wind and rain will drown out my playing so they won't hear me.

Hope my fellow Floridians and folks in Georgia where a second landfall is forecast remain safe.
Good luck to you! Your post got me thinking if I should be doing the same thing by flying into Fort Myers. Ours is a manufactured home with hurricane tie-downs, but unfortunately, it's not equipped with metal shutters. Our area there is under an evacuation order, so it's likely pointless for me to go and I wouldn't have the time to buy and install anything anyhow. We keep a convertible down there full of gas that is stored under a friend's carport. I just hope that we won't be spending the upcoming winter season somewhere in Oz!
Old 09-07-2017, 09:28 PM
Charter Member

The reports about Barduba and St. Martin being totally devastated are very upsetting. I hear evacuation orders announced for Georgia and South Carolina.

Sending prayers.
Old 09-07-2017, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basalt Beach View Post

I hope you can find gas... it's really hard to find now.
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 09-08-2017, 01:29 AM

We're about as ready as we can get. We live about 4 miles west of the Indian River Lagoon and have that and the Banana River between us and the ocean. We're in a fairly good spot. Boarded up all our windows today, have sandbags we're putting down Saturday, plenty of water and non perishable food (and we'll fill our bathtubs Saturday), candles, flashlights, patio furniture goes in the pools Saturday, cars gassed up, portable radio, guitars in their cases except for my A10. My son will be staying with us and my daughter and her SO and dog may come over if they have problems, which we don't expect.

Had to drive down south to Malabar on I-95 earlier this evening and the northbound lanes were crowded but moving smoothly. We expect that to get worse the next couple of days. It looks like I-75 and I-4 west of us are much more congested and slow.

We'll see how it goes!

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 09-08-2017, 04:16 AM

My heart goes out to all the folks in Florida who are having to deal with this.

I spent two happy years in Homestead Sth FL and saw many pictures and photographs of the devastation wrought there by Andrew some years previously.

In the worst case scenario, Irma could make Andrew look like a mild breeze.

I sincerely hope that all "evacuees" make it out safely, and in time, and that those who choose to remain manage to ride out the storm in safety.
Old 09-08-2017, 05:10 AM
Charter Member

Folks,

I am sincerely hoping for hte best for all of you down in FL right now.

Living between Va Beach, OBX and Wilmington NC, I've been thru a few (dozen) of these things. Good luck to all (and to be selfish, I hope the storm doesn't turn toward Myrtle!!)
Old 09-08-2017, 05:17 AM
Charter Member

Default Protecting guitars from Hurricane Irma

I live in a planned community about 55 miles north of Tampa and about 3 miles from the Gulf. I have decided to take only ONE guitar should I have to leave suddenly because of Irma. As luck would have it, I have recently downsized to only two. My Collings OM2HG with leave with me in its case. My other guitar, a Huss and Dalton OM, will be left on its own, in a secure place. It is a nice guitar but there may be only space for one.

To the South of me in Naples area is Hank Fox, aka Zorro. He will feel the storm before I do and has much finer guitars to worry about. Basalt, in the immediate Tampa Bay area may also be more in jeopardy that I am. I am sure there are others here in Florida that i don't know.
I wish all of my guitar brothers and sisters the best of luck with this storm.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic