The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-24-2017, 04:12 PM

About a month ago, I bought a new Martin HD-28v from a well known music store in Colorado. It was a over the phone deal with me have never bought from them before but the person on the phone with me from the store seemed very pleasant and easy enough to talk and deal with. It was a $3000.00 purchase and the shipping out of the store got screwed up but they 2nd day aired it to me to fix which was great. Got the guitar and was really pleased with it especially since I had never played one before. After a day or so of playing it I decided to call the sales person to thank them and say how much I liked the guitar plus planned on buying from him again. Waited on hold for 20 minutes on the phone until someone came on and took my name and number, told me they would have him call me right back, which was fine with me. I never received a return call. Made me rethink about buying from them again but at least the guitar is great. Customer service has really changed but it still means something to me.
Old 09-24-2017, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
Some of you newer folks here probably don't realize the number of instruments sales I've had as I've slowed down a TON in the last few years, but I've sold/shipped over 250 instruments in the last 15 years or so and never had this little of communication.
Well I'm not exactly 'newer folks' but I don't keep track of who flips what and how often. But I'd say 250 + in 15 years is a ton from my perspective, and I'd also say count your blessings if you have a little communication problem with only ONE.
Old 09-24-2017, 06:27 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by crikey View Post
Well I'm not exactly 'newer folks' but I don't keep track of who flips what and how often. But I'd say 250 + in 15 years is a ton from my perspective, and I'd also say count your blessings if you have a little communication problem with only ONE.
Oh, believe me, I've had my share of issues with buying (advertised as as a 9/10 and shows up a solid 6) I wouldn't call it a problem, just thought it a little odd as stated in the first post.

Old 09-24-2017, 07:15 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
No - just common courtesy. I had another guitar here that kicked it's butt.

Some of you newer folks here probably don't realize the number of instruments sales I've had as I've slowed down a TON in the last few years, but I've sold/shipped over 250 instruments in the last 15 years or so and never had this little of communication. Thus the post.
That's about 16 instruments a year. Sort of puts you in the undisclosed vendor area doesn't it.....

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 09-24-2017, 07:56 PM

Eh,

If I bought a guitar from say, Elderly Instruments, I probably wouldn't bother to tell them that it arrived safely.

If I bought a guitar from a forum member here, then I would certainly PM them on a safe arrival.

Through an auction site... definitely a middle ground. Ebay, no, because the feedback system fullfills that role. Reverb? If it was obvious that the seller was selling a personal guitar then probably yes.

Edit to add, given how many instruments I know you flip (and thus presumably in reality a lot more) if the auction site was Reverb then you look a lot more like a small to mid-size shop than some dude selling a guitar.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 09-24-2017, 09:39 PM
Charter Member

I've done too many online transactions with guitars and amps to even remember. I don't always acknowledge receipt of an instrument or whatever I've bought. I guess that seems to bother an awful lot of people, I guess it wouldn't hurt. I always acknowledge and return emails, always, but I don't always initiate one if I've paid and the item arrives and is what it was supposed to be.
2021 Emerald X7 Select
2020 Emerald X10 Woody Select 3-way
2016 Emerald X20 Artisan
2002 Gibson J185EC JJ Cale
2009 Gibson EC-20
1974 Alvarez Dreadnought
2013 Woody Tahitian hybrid Uke
2008 Zager 3/4 Size
Some camp fire guitars, classical's,
& electric's
Old 09-24-2017, 09:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Never implied he was supposed to.

I'm starting to see that the world is just becoming much more cold than it used to be. Simple common courtesy is long gone.

Most people would rather walk around like zombies with their thumbs on their phone.
I agree. Common courtesy can be tough to find. A simple, "All is well. Thanks" isn't asking too much of anyone.
Old 09-25-2017, 04:35 AM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
That's about 16 instruments a year. Sort of puts you in the undisclosed vendor area doesn't it.....
Not anymore - those days are over.....it was a lot of fun while it was "on" though. Single guy with nobody to answer to regarding how many cases were in the closet!

Old 09-25-2017, 04:37 AM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post

Edit to add, given how many instruments I know you flip (and thus presumably in reality a lot more) if the auction site was Reverb then you look a lot more like a small to mid-size shop than some dude selling a guitar.
Again - used to "flip"......I only have 10 transactions on Reverb and I think only 2-3 as a seller. I'm definitely "some dude selling a guitar".

Old 09-25-2017, 06:14 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Not anymore - those days are over.....it was a lot of fun while it was "on" though. Single guy with nobody to answer to regarding how many cases were in the closet!
Ahh, freedom. I vaguely remember...

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 09-25-2017, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puerto Player View Post
I've done too many online transactions with guitars and amps to even remember. I don't always acknowledge receipt of an instrument or whatever I've bought. I guess that seems to bother an awful lot of people, I guess it wouldn't hurt. I always acknowledge and return emails, always, but I don't always initiate one if I've paid and the item arrives and is what it was supposed to be.
Todd initiated this one, though. That was the issue: no response to emails (of course, as he let us know, the buyer eventually did respond).

Quote:
Now he's had it for almost 3 days and hasn't let me know if it arrived safely?? (and yes, I've sent follow up emails asking)
Old 09-25-2017, 07:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puerto Player View Post
...I don't always initiate one if I've paid and the item arrives and is what it was supposed to be.
Like I said several pages ago, no news is good news...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 09-25-2017, 08:35 AM
Charter Member

Hi Todd,

I'm sorry to read of your difficulties with your parents. That is very hard stuff, and having been through things like that myself a few times, I am very sympathetic.

Regarding communication during a one-on-one transaction, I very much believe in close communication. I believe in it because I think reassuring the person on the other side is very important with this kind of transaction. I think you, Todd, did it right; I think the other side was rather nonchalant, as you noted.

I have found that few people in this world are good communicators. I have gone to the trouble of sending people music or detailed information to their email address after a specific request only to not get any response afterward of any kind. Then after a few days I would send an email asking, "Did you receive the email? Has there been a problem?" And then I might hear back from that person. Maybe.

I have changed the settings on my email program so that I get a read receipt. Maybe people don't know how to type and so it's a big effort to acknowledge receipt of an email or an expensive item in the mail. I suspect. though, that most people are absorbed in their own things and simply don't think about anyone else.

- Glenn
Old 09-26-2017, 10:11 AM
Charter Member

Sending good thoughts for your family and you! For what it's worth, my mom fought going into assisted living tooth and nail for years. 10 days after she was there she called me on the phone and gave me hell for not letting her move in there earlier! And she still had all her marbles. But she conveniently forgot that she resisted and blamed me and my sister for holding her back from the move.
The great news is that she was very happy there and made a ton of new friends. Now I play that facility once a month and ten years on a couple folks still remember her. Very touching.
As for communication from buyers, it is perplexing how few folks actually make any effort to communicate! But, I am old and have a different mindset.
All the best to your family going forward!
Cheers

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More

Last edited by Kerbie; 09-26-2017 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Removed abbreviated profanity
Old 09-26-2017, 10:16 AM

I bought a Telecaster (my first electric guitar) on ebay a few years ago. After about a week I sent an email to the seller and asked when I could expect to receive it.

He was shocked that I didn't have it yet. He did some checking and it turns out the shipper lost it somehow. He refunded my money. No problem.
2004 Fender Telecaster MIM
2010 Martin DCX1RE
1984 Sigma DM3
Fender Mustang III v2

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion