The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-24-2017, 10:26 AM

One more thing that will give your Yamaha a bigger bottom end is a pick up and amp.
I know that this isn't an acoustic answer but it will sure add bass to the sound of the guitar.
Old 09-24-2017, 10:55 AM

I have owned this guitar since 2015 and sure I changed many kind of strings. Martin D'addario...

I own also an amp Schertler Jam 100 but to be honest I never used it.

Schertler Jam 100
Old 09-24-2017, 11:33 AM

Originally, I bought the LS-6, sounded horrible, returned it for the LS16. Sounds about 10X more complex than the LS-6, and very inexpensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arroww View Post
Hi to hall, I bought a Yamaha LS6 ARE 2 years ago I play it but something I don't like in its sound... like I feel too much middle and high range.

I don't have much time to play it so I am still an absolutely beginner, but when I play I would like to love the sound of the guitar.

So according to you is there a good guitar with this specs:
- price range 600-1000€ (i am writing from Italy)
- a much more equilibrate sound than LS6 ARE (I mean something that will have a little bit more bass range but not predominant)
- with all solid body
- without electronic, just a passive pickup or nothing (I love that yamaha has just a passive pickup)?

I was thinking a Guild OM 150 or D 150 in Italy I can buy it for 900€, or and Epiphone EJ-45 for 500€.

Do you think that I should evaluate also Yamaha LS16 ARE for the same price of the Guild? But a Yamaha LS16 Are will be much more different than LS6?

Please help me. Thank you
Old 09-24-2017, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknow View Post
Originally, I bought the LS-6, sounded horrible, returned it for the LS16. Sounds about 10X more complex than the LS-6, and very inexpensive.
I am really think to buy a LL16.. But i have no chance to try it before and I am afraid that it's just yamaha sound that i don't like. I don't know how to explain but I always hear a strange middle high tone (today I was watching on YouTube a video then the sites goes to next one but I was not watching and there was a comparison between 5 guitar. I recognized the Yamaha sound without whatch because of this middle high tone). But to be honest I never played another guitar. So maybe it's a normal acoustic sound?

Schertler Jam 100
Old 09-24-2017, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldguy64 View Post
Before you spend a load of money on a new guitar, spend a bit and audition a few sets of strings. Much of what you don't like can be changed by changing strings.
Absolutely! The strings are probably 25% of the equation. Both brand, model and gauge all affect how your guitar responds tonally.

Quote:
Also, consider tuning to A432 instead of A440.
Here I don't agree. It just makes it too difficult to play with others of fixed pitch instruments. While A=432 is arguably the better calibration, I think it just confuses the issue at hand.

Quote:
Also, with only two years playing, and little actual time on the guitar, how do you know what You don't like?
Seriously, before you drop €600 on a guitar, drop 40€ on a few sets of strings. They can make a HuGE difference in sound.
As a new player just go play a LOT of instruments. I'm not suggesting you play 10... I'm suggesting you play 100 or more before you will really have a clue. Your preferences will change. Your ear will become trained. You will learn what your hands feel more comfortable with. And you expectations will change as you improve.

So, as suggested, try a bunch of strings. I'm not sure what is available in Italy, so perhaps you want to talk to somebody local to see what they suggest as your first string test. Also... Unlike a lot of folks on this forum that keep a set of strings on their guitars for months- or even years, you have to change your strings periodically. I never let a set stay on my guitars for more than 6 weeks unless I'm just storing them until I want to play them again. 3 weeks is the average time that I have a set of strings sit on any guitar. I'm sure as a new player you'll want to go longer. And IMO if your hands are not acidic to cause early corrosion, you don't need to buy expensive coated strings. Try Martin MSP4100's if they have them. Here you can get them for USD $6 or less. Not sure what you'll have to pay with VAT and all.

Good luck.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 09-24-2017, 07:03 PM

I have an LS6, and I have often taken it with me to guitar shops to compare with other guitars. I find that it holds its own very well with other smaller body guitars. Otherwise, I would not keep returning home with it!!!

I do know exactly what you are talking about however regarding the sound. What you need is a larger body guitar to get the bass and projection. Just pick up a Yamaha FG 800/820/830. Those guitars are great, and they will give you the bass and projection you are looking for at a very friendly price point.

Finally, I suggest you keep the LS6, as it is a great guitar. I find that I go through "phases" where I want the full bodied sound, and all I play are "big" guitars. Then I find that the LS6 starts to sound appealing, and I play that continuously for a couple months. Then I gravitate back to the bigger guitars. I've learned not to sell guitars, because I find that if I liked the sound at one time, even if it is currently not appealing, I'll will like it again in the future.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion