The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 09-19-2017, 07:13 PM

Default NGD: Kenny Hill Player 628

Received last week, courtesy of Savage Classical Guitars, a cedar topped Kenny Hill Player. This is the 628 mm scale length with optional sound ports. I am older and already have small hands, but some arthritis has crept in and the reach isn't what it used to be. I am passing my full size classical on to my grandson as he moves up to full size. i have admired the Hill guitars for some time, so finally pulled the trigger. Fit and finish are superb. Sound and playability are just what I was looking for. I won't post separate photos as the guitar is pictured in the website and Rich has also a sound byte posted. Rich Savage was a pleaure to deal with on an internet transaction, BTW.

https://www.savageclassical.com/prod...ar-with-ports/

Jon
Old 09-20-2017, 03:42 AM

Congratulations Jon! I'm a longtime Kenny Hill fan and his New World guitars are an exceptional value. I own a New World Player that I absolutely love. I think you made a good choice with the cedar top on a smaller scale instrument. Enjoy!
Old 09-20-2017, 08:40 PM
Charter Member

I'm another big Kenny Hill fan. In fact, I've had my eye on the guitar you bought! I hope Rich gets some more in stock. Hope you enjoy it!
-Bob
Old 09-20-2017, 09:02 PM

Nice guitar. Enjoy!
Old 09-21-2017, 08:24 AM

Another Kenny Hill guitar owner here. In fact, I have the same model as you but mine doesn't have the 2 sound ports. The Savage website stated it comes with a premium case. What kind of case did you get? Mine came with a cheap no-name brand case made in China.

Good luck with your purchase.
Old 09-21-2017, 08:28 AM

I auditioned several Kenny Hill's a while back and they were all good. The surprise was my favorite was a 640 scale length. My best nylon is a 655 and I thought the long scale might be part of it. The Kenny Hill proved it is what you do with it. That 640 was nice.

If Kenny Hill player models, among others, could penetrate the big box consumer market, we might see a shift in preference.

hunter
Old 09-21-2017, 07:17 PM

I don't see a name on the case but looks like standard SKB except brown instead of black
Old 09-22-2017, 07:37 AM

Congratulations. I bought my New Wolrd Player after trying out a lot of other brands in the same price range, including some from Spain.

I agree with another poster here that they would have much bigger market share if they had more outlets. I lived in the Chicago area and they were only available at a small luthiers shop. If a cedar model like yours had been avalable, I would have grabbed that one.

I did later upgrade the tuners, if only for appearance sake. And after trying many strings, settled on Oasis carbons high tension, as they seemed to really ring on the Players.

Again, congrats. You're gonna love it more and more as you play it.
2009 Hoffman SJ
2011 Hoffman SJ 12

https://paulashley.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/c/PaulAshley
https://www.reverbnation.com/paulashley
Old 09-22-2017, 05:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpa53 View Post
I agree with another poster here that they would have much bigger market share if they had more outlets.
I'd be curious to know if they have the production capacity to supply a larger number of retailers. I know they're made in "factory" (as opposed to a boutique shop or indy luthier), but Kenny may be afraid of lower quality coming with higher production numbers.

-Bob
Old 10-02-2017, 12:32 PM
Charter Member

I’ve long admired Kenny Hill’s guitars, but have never owned one. Until now. I have a Performance model arriving tomorrow, and I’m very excited.
Old 10-02-2017, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenHD35 View Post
I’ve long admired Kenny Hill’s guitars, but have never owned one. Until now. I have a Performance model arriving tomorrow, and I’m very excited.
Congrats Stephen! I've owned an Estudio, currently own a player, and I've been eyeing a Performance for quite some time. Kenny's acoustic design always seems to work for me. I'm more of a fan-braced guy, so the lattice bracing is the only thing that has held me back from pulling the trigger....

Maybe you can start your own NGD thread tomorrow!
Old 10-02-2017, 06:23 PM
Charter Member

Thanks, Dogsnax. I will post after the guitar arrives. I too was skeptical of the lattice brace design but, after playing a couple, all of my concerns dissipated. The ones I've played have had a lot of pop and projection.
Old 10-07-2017, 11:56 PM

I had a buddy at school who owned a Hill (a workshop model, not a mass produced one). I played it a few times and loved it.

One thing he said to me was, this guitar plays so easy I'm going to be ruined for any future guitars.

I think if playability is an issue, you've found a fine instrument.
Old 01-22-2018, 08:11 AM

I've got my eye on a Kenny Hill Player 640 scale, cedar top with cutaway.

It might force me to stray from my Cordoba GK Pro.
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 01-28-2019, 10:45 AM
Charter Member

drjond56

So now that you have been playing the Kenny Hill for a while, how do you like it. I'm interested in getting one more for jazz and blues tunes. I can still navigate my 650 scale classical for the traditional pieces.

Thanks

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical