The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-21-2014, 09:08 AM

Default Is the D-15M Martin's most Gibson-sounding guitar?

Played one of these again this week and really loved it. I do find myself drawn towards the warmer-sounding instruments these days -- guitars that have a nice bass and midrange that compress nicely when strummed. As I was thinking about the D-15M after playing it, I couldn't help but think that that's how I might describe a Gibson, particularly the J-45.

So while some would say the Advanced Jumbo is Gibson's most "Martinesque" guitar, is it fair to say the D-15M might be Martin's furthest foray into Gibson territory? (Possibly with the exception of those CEO homage models)

Follow-up question -- do you think the D-15M is enough of the "Martin sound" or should I be looking at a D-18 or D-28 if I were to only have one Martin dreadnought? I do mostly folksy singer-songwriter stuff but wouldn't mind learning a bit of bluegrass.
Old 08-21-2014, 09:11 AM

I have one, it's rich and balanced. I don't think it's Gibsonesque. It's more of a mellower Martin sound.

It's also my favorite guitar by far.

~Dave
~Music self-played is happiness self-made
Old 08-21-2014, 10:53 AM

I like the D-15 - great value, nice tone.

BUT if looking for only one Martin, especially with Bluegrass in mind, I would definitely look up the line a bit.

The Standards are just "more".
Old 08-21-2014, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootch View Post
I have one, it's rich and balanced. I don't think it's Gibsonesque. It's more of a mellower Martin sound.

It's also my favorite guitar by far.
I see that you've got a J-45 -- how would you compare the two? Similarities? Differences? I don't think I've ever played the two back to back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg257 View Post
I like the D-15 - great value, nice tone.

BUT if looking for only one Martin, especially with Bluegrass in mind, I would definitely look up the line a bit.

The Standards are just "more".
Yeah, I intend to do a bit of comparing -- I really like the D-18 as well. I feel like the success of the new 15 series inspired some of the upgrades to the new standard model. I wish the D-28 had more of that vintage vibe.
Old 08-21-2014, 08:34 PM
Charter Member

I'm not a Martin guy but I love the D15M and its my favorite hog of all brands.

Wait....I guess that kinda makes me a Martin guy?

I don't think it Gibson-esque. It's just deep, rich, velvety, all on its own.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 08-21-2014, 09:00 PM

I love my D-15 ....great tone! ...light as a feather....they do it for me....
Martin SWDGT
Martin SWJGT
Martin MMV Dread
Martin 000-21
Old 08-21-2014, 10:04 PM
Charter Member

Not Gibsonesque at all, it's Hoggy.
Old 08-22-2014, 01:43 AM
Charter Member

I have one, as well as a few Gibsons. It does not have the jangle, the sparkle, the crisp, the thump, the growl... Of so many Gibsons. It is unique and I love mine too. It's great for open turnings, mellow, and I love it just as much, if not more than, any of the pricier Martins I have owned.

Last edited by SalFromChatham; 08-23-2014 at 05:17 PM.
Old 08-22-2014, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ataylor View Post
Played one of these again this week and really loved it. I do find myself drawn towards the warmer-sounding instruments these days -- guitars that have a nice bass and midrange that compress nicely when strummed. As I was thinking about the D-15M after playing it, I couldn't help but think that that's how I might describe a Gibson, particularly the J-45.

So while some would say the Advanced Jumbo is Gibson's most "Martinesque" guitar, is it fair to say the D-15M might be Martin's furthest foray into Gibson territory?.
Foray into Gibson territory? I wouldn't frame it that way. As to the question in the title, my answer is yes. I think more of the hummingbird in terms of single note clarity and sweetness. I don't know about the J-45.
Old 08-22-2014, 08:19 AM

I own a Martin D-15M and just love the guitar and the sound it produces. Really nice and warm. Great midtones and not as much Bass as other model Martins. I love this guitar for small Bluegrass jams. This guitar is great for flat picking and is very clear and clean. Nice sustain. Does it sound like a Gibson? No it sounds like a Martin made out of solid Mahogany without that deep Martin Growl in the Bass.
Old 08-22-2014, 08:58 PM

Thanks everyone for the replies so far.

I definitely don't mean to say that the D-15 is meant to approximate a Gibson sound, only that it seems to me to have some of the general characteristics we often ascribe to Gibson models.

I would love to play it alongside a standard D-18 (one of the new ones) and one or two of the D-28 variants...

Last edited by M19; 08-22-2014 at 11:48 PM. Reason: referred post was deleted
Old 08-23-2014, 04:54 PM

Huh???
I don't get it. The two manufacturers have very different ideas on how acoustic guitars should sound. If you want Gibson sound, get a Gibson. If you want Martin sound, get a Martin.
Old 08-23-2014, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabdart View Post
Huh???
I don't get it. The two manufacturers have very different ideas on how acoustic guitars should sound. If you want Gibson sound, get a Gibson. If you want Martin sound, get a Martin.
Maybe I should have phrased my post differently as several people are taking this too literal.

I'm well aware that they're different sounds. I just was wondering aloud about the D-15's warmer, mellower, drier sound as compared to other Martin models I've played. People often associate those with Gibson as opposed to Martin -- and even though it's apples and oranges, I wonder if those characteristics place the D-15 closer to something like a J-45 on the tone spectrum than, say, a D-18.

Rather than me wanting a Martin that sounds like a Gibson, I'm trying to decide if I should go the other direction since I've got a fine guitar that has the traditional Gibson sound already (Fairbanks F-35).

Maybe that makes more sense. Or maybe I'm just rambling...
Old 08-23-2014, 06:45 PM

Makes sense to me.

Folks are sensitive and serious around here at times. They're also knowledgeable, mature and friendly from this newbie's perspective.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion