The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-20-2014, 03:02 PM

Rarely, but I do.
Old 08-20-2014, 03:05 PM

Quote:
I don't see that many people using those upper frets even with cutaways. Do you get cutaways for aesthetics or for reaching those higher frets?
As someone who exclusively plays solo fingerstyle arrangements I find non-cutaway guitars really limiting. Form follows function.

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment
Old 08-20-2014, 03:05 PM

I'm not a cutaway guy, BUT, I do own one because I play lead and do play 12-17 fret.

Infact, I use to own a few a while back. I can never go without one.
Old 08-20-2014, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddchase View Post
Aesthetically I prefer the look of a guitar without a cutaway with the exception of the dreadnought, not sure why but I think a dred without a cutaway is too boring and awkward looking, I know that makes no sense. Had an opportunity to play a friend's gigging guitar and he's one of the best players I've ever seen, anyway his guitar has a cutaway and he actually uses past the 12th fret all the time, I however only know of one song that I play that uses to the 14th fret. I don't see that many people using those upper frets even with cutaways. Do you get cutaways for aesthetics or for reaching those higher frets?
Yes, use the upper fretboard frequently for harmonics and fretting. But not on a dread, on a custom order Froggy H12c. It is a 12 fret guitar to the body so all the more reason to benefit from a cutaway when playing at the octave or high harmonics. I don't use a slide but that'd be another good reason

hans
2000 Froggy Bottom H12c (adir/ind RW)
2016 Froggy Bottom K mod (adir/madrose; my son's)
2010 Voyage-Air VAOM-2C

http://www.soundclick.com/hanstunes (recorded on Froggy H12c)

Last edited by handers; 08-20-2014 at 04:15 PM.
Old 08-20-2014, 03:25 PM
Guest4562

Sure do use those frets, but the cutaway is a also good place to put your coiled up strap in the case.
Old 08-20-2014, 03:27 PM

A couple of slack key pieces have me up as high as 17; a little fast but nothing fancy, so I'm able to do it without a cutaway. So really no need for one.
Old 08-20-2014, 03:33 PM
Charter Member

I have one guitar with a cutaway and I do go up there to those rarefied frets above 12. WHat's more, having the cutaway encourages me to find stuff to do up in the high frets. I can do okay with a standard body and 14-fret neck (which is what I have, for the most part) but the cutaway does open up additional possibilities.
Old 08-20-2014, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by devellis View Post
I have one guitar with a cutaway and I do go up there to those rarefied frets above 12. WHat's more, having the cutaway encourages me to find stuff to do up in the high frets. I can do okay with a standard body and 14-fret neck (which is what I have, for the most part) but the cutaway does open up additional possibilities.
This is pretty much me too. I have many guitars, but just one with a cutaway. Low and behold, when I'm playing that guitar, I just happen to use those higher frets which become available.

I'd be fine without that guitar and without messing around higher than the 12th fret. It's not essential to my playing enjoyment. But I have the capability to play up there, and I'm encouraged to do so when it becomes an option while I play that particular guitar. It's a nice change of pace, IMO.
Old 08-20-2014, 03:46 PM

yes. Enough to make it worthwhile to own a guitar with a cutaway.
Old 08-20-2014, 03:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddchase View Post
…I don't see that many people using those upper frets even with cutaways. Do you get cutaways for aesthetics or for reaching those higher frets?
Hi mc...

Yes, I use them.

In fact, if I could give all my guitars an add-on, it would be a 22nd fret extension on the treble side of the fingerboard. I play in key of D a lot and that would give me access to a high C# and D via a fingerboard extension.

Some people don't play that high because they are chording and strumming, and that is pretty much out of reach.

I do a lot of acoustic backing of other players and do stray up there when playing lead, or even occasionally when soloing.

Other reasons some folks don't play that high on acoustic guitars are:
Their guitars don't intonate well 'up there'
Their guitars don't sound that good 'up there'
Their style doesn't lend itself to playing that high on the neck

I sure don't live 'up there', but I have at least 5 songs in our arrangements where I'm playing parallel 6ths or 3rds above the 15th fret, in addition to other songs where I play solo notes and bends at the 17th fret.

They are much easier on my cutaway.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 08-20-2014, 04:54 PM
Charter Member

Count me in for the cutaway. I'm often up to 15th or 17th fret.

At first I thought cutaway looked funny, now I think guitars without them look like something is missing.
Old 08-20-2014, 05:21 PM

I certainly don't need a cutaway unless its a 12 fret guitar. I do occasionally get up the fingerboard quite a ways, but as long as it has a 14 fret neck join I'm OK. I typically like the looks of instruments without cutaways, but some luthiers (Olson, Ryan, Somogyi, and others) build cutaways that look pretty darn nice.

Bill
Old 08-20-2014, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldguy64 View Post
Half of my guitars have a cutaway. The other half don't
About the only time I play above the fifth fret is when I play
"Wanted: Dead or Alive" by Bon Jovi.

I occasionally play up there when I'm noodling around.
But when I test out a new guitar...
I play that intro, The finger picked intro to "The Thunder Rolls", I'll run A7 and D inversions up the neck, and a few bluesy things to check the action all over.

But I don't routinely play outside the "money". (Eric Clapton was once quoted as saying that he loved to noodle, but there was no money above the fifth fret.)
I enjoy playing that song and I need a cutaway. Other than that, I don't think I use the extra frets that a cutaway gives.

I do capo at the 7th fret on some songs so i do play the 10th fret.
Old 08-20-2014, 05:32 PM

For me it's easy...I don't like cutaways on acoustic guitars and I don't play on that part of the neck.

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 08-20-2014, 05:53 PM

I play little lead lines on my 12 fretnon cutaway 000 all the time. Past the bout up to the last fret.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion