The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-18-2014, 06:59 PM

Thanks for the great answers
Old 08-18-2014, 08:42 PM

Hola Harvester, welcome to AGF. You are in a very common rut, that of playing what you play reasonably well over and over and not moving on. I would very strongly suggest you find a Guitar Guru, someone with a well organized teaching system... stick with it for a year and do every lesson you are given... especially practice every day, that is the real key... without string-time, you will never improve.

Find a good local teacher, or go to JustinGuitar.com and start with his Beginner Series.

If you really want to improve, you have to commit. Isn't that the way with anything worthwhile?

Now back living in Baja Sur where I started my carbon fiber journey... Bend OR was too cold!
Old 08-18-2014, 09:16 PM

Cool What to practice to become a better acoustic player?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvester View Post
I've been playing guitar now for a few years. But I've never really made any big improvements. I know some chords, scales, and can play a few lead melodies. But when I practice I find myself just playing what I know how to play. When I do change it up I just try to learn a new song that I'm not ready to play and it's to hard. I guess what I need to know is what do I need to focus on to be a better guitar player that doesn't pertain to just learning new songs
Welcome to the AGF! I would recommend you find a good instructional DVD like "Learning Acoustic Guitar for Absolute Beginners" or something similar. Go to www.joedocmusic.com and he offers a number of different DVDs. It's structured so you're not trying to learn songs that are too difficult for your ability. Do the lessons in the order presented, and stay on each lesson until you become proficient. I hope that helps.

Glen
Gibson LP Deluxe/ES-347 TD/Chet Atkins CE
Fender MIA Deluxe Strat
Art & Lutherie 12-string
Bellucci Concert
Sigma CR-7
Recording King ROS-06 FE3/RPH-05
D'Angelico "New Yorker"
New Masters "Esperance SP"
Hermosa AH-20
“I never met a guitar I didn't like.”
Old 08-22-2014, 12:03 AM

Default What to practice on acoustic guitar

You've got to work on harmony, and technique. Those are the keys for making progress. Learning songs ain't enough.

Furch OM 32 SM
Cordoba Maple Fusion 14
Jackson US Soloist
Esp Horizon NT-2

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion