The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-20-2014, 12:36 PM

I played a 000-18GE that epitomized dry, warm and woody to my ears. It was the best guitar I've ever played, bar none.

Good luck in the search! I hope you find the one that epitomizes dry, warm and woody to you!
Old 06-20-2014, 01:20 PM
Charter Member

I played a ver good 000-18GE the other day beside my OJ and there was no contest. Not a fair comparison because of the oj depth but...the oj kkilled it. I think it will have to be a special guitar that is smaller and can win the day but I will continue to look. I have played a couple of triple zeros that came close and that is probably what we'll end up happening if I ever get rid of the OJ
Old 06-20-2014, 02:55 PM

Sounds like a nice all-mahogany guitar would fit the bill for you - I've played several, and just bought a Cort L450-O that I feel has just the sound you describe - my cedar over mahogany Walden G1070 comes close, too...
Old 06-20-2014, 03:30 PM

I agree with many others about Mahogany back and sides fitting your description. I would throw Walnut into that mix as an alternative. I find it to be a little less warm than Mahogany but more dry and woody sounding. Cedar tops warm up Walnut guitars nicely without making them too lush with overtones. The Redwood top suggestion makes sense too.

ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING: Taylor, Martin, Gibson, Yamaha, Guild...
Old 06-20-2014, 03:35 PM

Yes mahogany is what you are after. My OM-18V is very much what you would like, but with a little touch more bass. Very woody, crisp and loud, if you know what I mean?
Old 06-20-2014, 06:29 PM
Charter Member

Yes. I love hogs with adi for sure....
Old 06-20-2014, 07:30 PM

OM-18 Authentic 1933....dry....warm.....woody.....wonderful....and good looking....

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 06-22-2014, 03:58 PM
Charter Member

and here it is...great dry...FAT WOODY tone.. Alsas, 2 inch nut is a bit extreme .. If you want to know the sound I seek and livbe near Durham NC, drop by and play this bad boy. Not great lows but it is a smaller guitar. Fantastic http://www.soundpure.com/p/1963-gibs...ger-used/10208
Old 06-22-2014, 04:42 PM
Charter Member

Hey Mark, that guitar belonged to a good friend of mine and it is a fabulous guitar. I'll never forget the night he brought it over, three of us playing it as well as several thirties Gibson L-'s and all agreed it was the best small body Gibson we ever heard. I immediately went and bought one, but I don't have man hands and I had to let her go.

Good luck, and thanks for the CD (and the capo.)
Old 06-22-2014, 04:53 PM

Mark, I recently ordered a Larrivee LS03 in Alpine over Walnut and am very impressed with this guitar. It is a smaller body (shaped like their "L" body, but smaller). The Walnut is a somewhere between rosewood and mahogany... not the metallic overtones of rosewood, and warm like mahogany. I have only had it a week, but it is starting to wake up into a wonderfully warm, woody sound. Even with Elixer strings (which I normally do not like) it is sweet and rich sounding when fingerpicked.

I ordered it from Wildwood in Ohio, and got great service and a good price. Might be worth checking out if you haven't already considered walnut.

My other guitars are Gibson J45s, a standard natural and a True Vintage in sunburst. I have owned dozens and dozens of guitars in my 68 years and am totally impressed with this new one.

Good luck whatever you end up doing.

RB
Old 06-22-2014, 05:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Have not found one yet. I ws hoping to find something smaller that sounded...well...."dry, warm and Woody".
I've had a few Martin dreads with mahogany/ adi that fit the bill...
but they are dreads...so .......

you would probably like the Martin CEO 7, I've heard nothing but good things and it definitely is " something smaller" and dry warm and woody!
Old 06-22-2014, 05:29 PM

Fairbanks mahogany Nick Lucas.
Old 06-22-2014, 06:38 PM

Default "Dry, Warm and Woody"

What you need is another Gibson with mahogany back and sides.

I think the new Gibson American Eagle LG-2 might fit the bill.
Old 08-20-2014, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCannon View Post
Dry, warm and woody to me, describes Gibson...and mahogany. However, I've been able to get a nice natural, woody tone on other guitars by using Martin Tony Rice MTR13 monel strings. They tend to bring out the natural, woody sound of a guitar as opposed to the more 'colored' tone produced by PB and 80/20. Personally, I don't like the feel and tension of medium gauge strings, so don't use the MTR anymore.

DC
You're in luck! martin now offers light gauge Monel strings under the retro label.

http://www.martinguitar.com/acoustic...st-choice.html
Old 08-20-2014, 03:10 PM

Dry, warm and woody.........how about crispy?

OM-18V, 000-17SM

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion