The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 10-06-2014, 05:50 PM

Default Fingerstyle method

Can any one recomend a good fingerstyle method book that,
Works its way up from A to Z.
Shows left finger pattern with tabs.
Teaches something and at the end of that section gives a song to play with what you were just taught.

Dave
Justin guitar
Fredrick Noad
Old 10-06-2014, 06:05 PM

Since you would like to learn the technique from A to Z--which will take some time--why not also add learning to read standard notation?
Old 10-06-2014, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZippyChip View Post
Since you would like to learn the technique from A to Z--which will take some time--why not also add learning to read standard notation?
Good point!
Old 10-06-2014, 07:53 PM

I can read standard notation
Justin guitar
Fredrick Noad
Old 10-06-2014, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dafiryde View Post
I can read standard notation
Ok then , I suggest the Sagreras method. ...its in six volumes and its only in standard notation.
Old 10-06-2014, 07:58 PM

Sagreras is awesome... but what kind of "Fingerstyle" are you looking to play? That term can cover anything from classic to folk to blues to jazz to new age, all with their own little twists. Were you thinking Chet Atkins/Tommy Emmanuel, Earl Klugh, Robert Johnson, or John Williams?
Yamaha FSX-5
Yamaha LS-TA
Yamaha CG-TA
Epiphone EJ-200SCE
Breedlove Wildwood Organic Concert
Hohner Essential Roots SOSB
Epiphone Houndog Roundneck
Dobro Model 29
Taylor 214ce-N
Cordoba C9 Spruce
1972 Pablo De La Cruz Classical
? Eusebio Huipe Cedar/PE Flamenco
Godin Multiac Duet Ambiance
Cordoba Stage
Old 10-06-2014, 08:42 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vognell View Post
Sagreras is awesome... but what kind of "Fingerstyle" are you looking to play? That term can cover anything from classic to folk to blues to jazz to new age, all with their own little twists. Were you thinking Chet Atkins/Tommy Emmanuel, Earl Klugh, Robert Johnson, or John Williams?

Dont laugh at me, but all of the above.
Justin guitar
Fredrick Noad
Old 10-06-2014, 08:48 PM

I can read standard notation, but i prefer tabs.
So sangreras is out
Justin guitar
Fredrick Noad
Old 10-07-2014, 09:14 AM

A lot of people like the finger style guitar from scratch books from Bruce Emery -aka the skeptical guitarist. My problem is it's all tab not notation, but having tried Hal Leonard and Mel Bay, I like the Emery books best for the content...
Old 10-07-2014, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Teaches something and at the end of that section gives a song to play with what you were just taught.

Dave
I'm going to offer you something that you didn't ask for. I've been playing for 48 years and I firmly believe that Frederick Noad's Method book 1 and 2 are the absolute best. I also did Mel Bay's Modern Guitar Method books 1-7 (for pick guitar) but they really teach a comprehensive method for the left hand. Notice I didn't mention TAB. If you are serious about guitar, ditch the TAB. I wish I could remove it from all guitar instruction. Jeff Beck doesn't play from TAB, Larry Carlton doesn't play from TAB, Andres Segovia didn't play from TAB, Chet Atkins didn't play from TAB, ... making sense? I'll not offer my opinion on TAB too strongly here because many like it.

Check out the Frederick Noad books. The pieces come quick and they sound great. There are concert pieces in the back of the second book. I'll say that if you can play either of the last two, I want to get to know you. They are tough.

Have fun,

David

Email signup for News: https://www.facebook.com/DavidLWhite...00265896690345

Taylor 818e Grand Orchestra Rosewood Back and Sides
Taylor 214ce-n Grand Auditorium Nylon
Guild DV-52 Dreadnought Steel String
Yamaha CG172SF Flamenco/Classical Nylon
Stratocaster Copy
Squier P-Bass
Old 10-10-2014, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Dont laugh at me, but all of the above.
I notice that you used the Gibson "Learn and Master Series". The same company, Legacy Learning Systems, has a pretty extensive fingerstyle course. I also recommend William Kanengeiser's "Classical Guitar Mastery" and "Effortless Classical Guitar" for some excellent fingerstyle fundamentals (presented from a classical perspective, but applicable to almost any style of guitar playing). Mel Bay's "Complete Fingerstyle Jazz Guitar Book" by Aland De Mause is pretty interesting because it breaks down a lot of concepts in arranging and composing your own fingerstyle pieces (tons of applicable stuff on harmony). A great little "nuts and bolts" book/cd.

Woody Mann has a few good videos on acoustic blues guitar. These are fun to work through, and could keep you occupied for months.

Good luck! Love your ambition, but you'll have to take things one step at a time. Can't do it all at once!
Yamaha FSX-5
Yamaha LS-TA
Yamaha CG-TA
Epiphone EJ-200SCE
Breedlove Wildwood Organic Concert
Hohner Essential Roots SOSB
Epiphone Houndog Roundneck
Dobro Model 29
Taylor 214ce-N
Cordoba C9 Spruce
1972 Pablo De La Cruz Classical
? Eusebio Huipe Cedar/PE Flamenco
Godin Multiac Duet Ambiance
Cordoba Stage
Old 10-11-2014, 07:16 AM

This is coming at a different angle but I recently needed to purchase a blues finger style type of book to learn with my brother. He is a strong electric guitar background but absolutely no music theory and no ability nor desire to read music notation. He has zero finger style background. I, on the other hand, want music notation so I was looking for something we both can learn from that actually taught songs.

I did a thorough search and decided to purchase the acoustic blues unleashed series by Griff Hamlin. It has both notation and tab and works through skills that end in real songs. While it's blues-based and you can use a pick or finger style, we both use our fingers and I think it is absolutely perfect for a person who wants to learn finger style type of playing with a blues slant.

It is easy and it is working very well for my brother and myself. It also encourages the learning of fretboard knowledge, chords, and timing.

Not a traditional beginner method book but I really needed something that produced results for my brother to stick with. Something that showed all the details.... Handholding.....This is the answer. It comes with DVDs and CD's of all the lessons. This is greatly helpful to my brother who is not fond of the metronome. This allows him to play along with the songs to get an idea of how it should sound.

Different in deed but focused and taught by an experience instructor....

Bryan

Francisco Navarro Concert Classical
Francisco Navarro Student Flamenco
Eastman AC708 Sunburst
Seagull S6
Cordoba C-5
Fender Strat MIM
Old 10-11-2014, 11:58 AM

Quote:

Dave
Hey Dave, I'm not aware of a single method that encompasses all your criteria but as a guitarist who plays both classical and a variety of finger styles here's what I'd recommend as a starting point. 1) Aaron Shearer, Volume 1, Classic Guitar Technique. Although a classical guitar introduction this book provides a great launch pad for developing right finger arpeggios. The only proviso I'd stipulate is to ignore the photos of Shearer's deviated right wrist and keep your's straight. 2)Andres Segovia "Studies for the Guitar by Fernando Sor". This compilation picks up where the Shearer leaves off. Even the early studies (i.e. 2,4, and 5) provide lessons for Alberti bass, incorporating 3rds into appeggio patterns and a simple mipi, aipi, arpeggio.
3) Understanding DADGAD For Fingerstyle Guitar by Doug Young. As well as providing an excellent overview of DADGAD tuning(keys, chords, scales and arpeggio patterns) the lessons in this method include exercises and short pieces in a variety of styles such as Greensleeves, Twelve Bar Blues, and Swing Low, Sweet Chariot. This is not intended to be a comprehensive list but just some suggestions to get you started. Good luck and happy plucking!
Trevor
Old 10-13-2014, 09:26 PM

Talking

Thanks for all the assistance you all have given.
Knowing me i will eventuall order all those books listed so far and see which one fits my bill.
I have since gotten Nicola Mandorino alternating bass guitar method he is also known as guitar Nick. His book has been fun so far.
Before this book i got the legacy learn and master fingerstyle, which gives tab and notation form, but for some reason i find the lay out of their book jumps all over and never grabbed my attencion.
I am presently awaiting bruce emery book
Will let you all know of my progress.
Justin guitar
Fredrick Noad

Last edited by Dafiryde; 10-13-2014 at 09:35 PM.
Old 10-14-2014, 12:10 AM

Less of a method but more an addition to a method
He mixes it all up
From Sabicas to Ellington to standard classical
Worth sourcing - different approach -
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B000...&robot_redir=1

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical