The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 09-27-2014, 11:09 AM
Charter Member

Great, now I'm gassing for a crossover, lol

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 09-27-2014, 07:37 PM

Lightbulb

I also have the Cordoba GK Studio Negro and love it. It has the 50mm cutaway-electric nut width as shown here:
http://cordobaguitars.com/assets/doc...styles-web.jpg

Nice hybrid guitar for someone coming from regular electric/acoustic background. Has a more bass tone than regular Studio version which is great for me as a lot of times I am just privately jamming not plugged in or anything. My only gripe is the built in tuner is flakey IMO. It gets the job done but compared to other built in tuners I do not have as much confidence in it.

You can see it here in top right. I have some more closeup pics I can post later.

here's the other pic:

Last edited by Twilo123; 09-28-2014 at 04:53 AM.
Old 10-08-2014, 01:35 PM

Default Specific Question

Let me ask this in another way.
Are there any decent 3/4 or student classical guitars (ie. hold their tuning, have a nice sound, etc) that have the same (or very close) neck width and distance between frets as a standard acoustic guitar?
And if yes, can you please name some in the under $600 range?

Thanks

ps. Can be a full size classical too if they have the standard acoustic dimensions mentioned above. I know a hybrid like Cordoba is an option, but I think I find one cheaper and still with a good sound. Plus I don't need the cutaway and electronics. Just a simple guitar I can take around and use for writing songs.
Old 10-08-2014, 07:57 PM

I bought a Cordoba Fusion 12 about a month ago. Its in your price range. Below that I have found that many guitars, including from the Cordoba selection dont hold tuning well and the intonation is not consistant. The Cordoba Fusion and others comparable and the Yamaha NTX series do both very well.
Old 10-08-2014, 08:02 PM

And you don't think there are any student or 3/4 classical guitars that can hold tuning and sound decent, and have acoustic guitar dims (or close to it) that are within this $600 and under range?

Maybe someone else can weigh in on this question too.
Old 10-08-2014, 08:16 PM

Yes. That is my experience in searching for a nylon. Most of the lower priced ones have poor intonation, fretts are not finished nice, ( rough, sharp edges, high fretts, etc.) They sound okay, but once you move to the 600 dollar range things really pick up. My teacher has the Martin 000 nylon 14 frett model. Intonation is spot on, fretts perfect. It also cost 1,300 dollars so in my opinion it should. My Martin 000-15 is spot on in every way too, but the same price range. Below a certain point, (300 or so dollars) you get what you pay for,.... not much.
Old 10-08-2014, 08:19 PM

So in the $600 range the Cordoba 12 is a good choice for these parameters.
Ok I will try them out - the Cordoba 12 Jet is interesting.
I guess it comes down to finishes and price points.
Thx
Old 10-08-2014, 08:45 PM

Go to the Cordoba site and look around. They have many models much more expensive than the Fusion series that get alot of attention on this site. The Fusion has the 1 7/8th slight radius neck. very comfortable to play, great low end response, high tension strings that give great highs and feel wonderful. Nice package, comes with a padded gig bag that is very usable. The Yamaha NTX series was the winner unit I found this. I think they put more attention to detail and are great plugged in, but since I dont perform I found the unplugged sound of the Fusion was just fine for me

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical