The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 10-15-2014, 09:12 AM

Default Nylon string gauge

Do nylon strings come in gauges or only in tensions? Sorry if this seems like a dumb question. Don't now much about nylon strings.

Thanks
Old 10-15-2014, 09:24 AM

Changes in tension cause changes in string gauge (or you could view it the other way around).. If you go to D'Addario's website, you can see the specs for various string sets.
http://www.daddario.com/DADProductDe...Normal_Tension

Look at the Family Tension Chart in the link above.
Old 10-15-2014, 01:39 PM

How does tension OR does tension affect playability? Is there such a thing as easy/easier to play strings?

Pardon my ignorance.
Old 10-15-2014, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dookychase View Post
How does tension OR does tension affect playability? Is there such a thing as easy/easier to play strings?
I cant play normal tension strings because they are too loose for me, others cant play hard tension strings because too hard for them. Everything is subjective.
Old 10-15-2014, 03:05 PM

Well, normal tension nylon strings can feel a bit loose under both hands for some people. Normal tension flourocarbon strings like Savarez Alliance can feel uncomfortable for some, because they have a thinner diameter. I was an immediate convert to flourocarbon strings about 10 years ago, but moved back and forth with nylon after a few years.

Players with a strong right hand attack often like to use a harder string, as the increased resistance makes it easier for them to control. Strings with greater tension can often produce more volume, but this can cause issues with tone. Flourocarbon strings always give more volume, and their brighter tone is seen as either good or bad, depending on the player, guitar, and piece.

I'd recommend starting with Pro Arte EJ45 normal tension, and go from there. The G string in that set can sound tubby and out of place, but that's not uncommon for a nylon G string. When I use nylon sets, I replace the nylon G with a flourocarbon G. Its thinner diameter allows it to blend well with the other strings. La Bella's 2001 nylon set has a pretty decent G string, although I usually replace it with a flourocarbon G. More habit than necessity.
Old 10-15-2014, 03:51 PM

Because so many different formulations of nylon/carbon/etc are used, for standardization purposes, they classify them by tension. Actual diameter of the strings will vary based on the tension and the particular formula used. Tension is largely a personal preference, though like with steel strings, higher tension will result in greater volume on most guitars, and some guitars seem to have a sweet spot with certain tensions.
Old 10-16-2014, 05:48 AM

Thanks. I have an Ibanez nylon string that I bought several years ago and played for a short time. I loaned it out and got it back but don't know what kind of strings are on it.

I wanted to get back into playing it after watching Buster B Jones videos. So I was trying to learn about string brands/sets. Trying to learn Chet style tunes.
Old 10-16-2014, 07:56 AM

I'm new at nylon, but I find that hard tension strings seem to mute the sound of my La Patrie guitar. I've gone back to regular tension for my current set. Perhaps the higher tension prevents the top from vibrating as freely.

1984 Carvin LB-40 bass
1986 Carvin DC-125 two humbucker
1996 Taylor 412
La Patrie Concert
2012 American Standard Telecaster
1981 Carvin DC 100
Harley Benton LP JR DC
Bushman Delta Frost & Suzuki harmonicas
Artley flute
Six-plus decade old vocal apparatus
Old 10-16-2014, 08:05 AM

I had a LaPatrie Étude years ago, and its thin top was indeed choked by higher tension strings. Savarez New Cristals in normal tension were very nice that guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical