The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-01-2014, 11:17 PM

Default CA Cargo Raw

So, I am thinking about one of these, because I need to leave it in my car at times. Any thoughts about the raw versus the HG.

Yes, I searched, read a lot of threads, but mostly it was CA versus....

Huss and Dalton T-0014
Collings I35LC
CA Cargo
Simon and Patrick Parlor
Old 03-02-2014, 01:25 AM

Have you considered the Emerald X7-OS or X5-OS? Both are lighter and smaller than the Cargo and both have 24 inch scale lengths, closer to normal compared with the Cargo. Price is better too. They do not sound the same, so that may be a deciding factor depending on preference.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:35 AM
Charter Member

Hi Sike,

I was sitting in a well-known guitar shop in December when the owner put one of the high gloss Cargos in my hands. After playing it for a few minutes, I was extremely unimpressed and would never have considered buying it. Then he put the Raw, satin finish Cargo in my hands and I was blown away. I loved it, came home with it and have never regretted it.

To me, the high gloss is a very different animal. It's covered with automobile paint… understandable considering the carbon material, but it produces a very dark sound. I don't know how many layers go on the guitar, but its sound was much more muted… it almost sounded like I was in a dungeon. There was no treble end or sparkle… just a very rounded, hollow sound.

It's all personal preference, but I'm a fan of mahogany and I just didn't care at all for the hollowness of the high gloss. Both the mid-range and the treble end of the Raw were much more prominent than with the gloss. And apparently, with the aid of the upper sound hole, the bass response is outstanding… not lacking at all.

If you haven't played both or at least listened to both, I suggest doing so before you buy. I couldn't be happier with my Raw version, but they are dramatically different guitars in sound.

Good luck with your search. I highly recommend the Raw. It's really nice to have one guitar that I don't have to worry about leaving in the back of my car, in summer or winter.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:48 AM
Charter Member

That's interesting, I was wondering if the same is true for the Rainsongs. Sorry to change the subject of the OP....
Old 03-02-2014, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
That's interesting, I was wondering if the same is true for the Rainsongs. Sorry to change the subject of the OP....
No problem. I have a Rainsong, and I have played the raw version of the Rainsong. I did not like the raw Rainsong, but the finish on the rainsong is much different.

Huss and Dalton T-0014
Collings I35LC
CA Cargo
Simon and Patrick Parlor
Old 03-02-2014, 11:28 AM

Sike, the RAW Cargo is unfinished carbon fiber on the soundboard with some kind of automotive primer on the back and sides. Because the back and sides are a stiff bowl design, the paint on the back wont alter the tone, but it does matter on the top. Without any finish the Cargo RAW sounds more open and clear than the gloss which will have a warmer, but muddy tone due to the thick finish.

BTW, Rainsong doesn't suffer from this because their FT models are not unfinished, the Fine Texture coating is a clear finish very similar in weight to the gloss, so there will be no significant tonal difference between the same models in gloss as compared to the satin, or FT finish.
Old 03-02-2014, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sike View Post
because I need to leave it in my car at times.
For how long, and at what outdoor temperature?

Here in Texas, the inside of a car can get up to 120F or higher in just a few short hours (depending on time of day, shade, etc).

I wouldn't want to leave even a Cargo (which I own) in a car at those temperatures for very long.
Old 03-02-2014, 03:25 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SongwriterFan View Post

Here in Texas, the inside of a car can get up to 120F or higher in just a few short hours (depending on time of day, shade, etc).

I wouldn't want to leave even a Cargo (which I own) in a car at those temperatures for very long.
SF, your Cargo is an '08 in the Road Tough (RT) finish like mine. Have you had an opportunity to play a hi-gloss finish, especially a newer Peavey version? If so, I'd appreciate your comparative thoughts. Thanks!
Old 03-02-2014, 03:28 PM

Ditto that. Rainsong is OK with letting them get cold since many fly regularly in unpressurized / unheated cargo holds with touring pro's. But they specifically warn against exposure to heat, including direct sun exposure in hot temps. (There is a reason that EVERY composite airplane is painted white). No stressed material or glue at full strength at 130°F or higher, even if the carbon fiber itself won't be damaged specifically. Don't get complacent just because the guitar isn't made from wood.
Old 03-02-2014, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
SF, your Cargo is an '08 in the Road Tough (RT) finish like mine. Have you had an opportunity to play a hi-gloss finish, especially a newer Peavey version? If so, I'd appreciate your comparative thoughts. Thanks!
I have not. I do have (well, my niece has it right now) one of the original Legacy (Crown of Thorn models) CA guitars that's from the original factory. It has a gloss finish.

Hard to compare to the Cargo, though, due to the huge size difference.
Old 03-02-2014, 05:08 PM

Quote:

All day, but mostly 30-80.

Huss and Dalton T-0014
Collings I35LC
CA Cargo
Simon and Patrick Parlor
Old 03-03-2014, 08:48 AM

"There is a reason that EVERY composite airplane is painted white."

This is not true. Google the V-22 Osprey or the Boeing 787 and take a look at the photos. These are both composite aircraft and there are many non-white examples (in fact, none of the V-22s are white).
Old 03-03-2014, 10:53 AM

Fair enough. There is a reason that almost every CIVILIAN composite airplane is painted white. Even the Ospreys are medium gray or light desert camo, typically. The 787 tends to be light on top, with the dark colors down on the sides or below or not on the wings - at least in the photos I have seen. Dark colors sitting in the sun will heat up and soften the resins and glues, so the airframe is no longer as strong as intended. Maybe military planes have taken that into consideration, since they are heavily over-built anyway. Not sure. I am only a mechanical engineer and pilot, not an aerospace designer.

Last edited by Earl49; 03-03-2014 at 11:01 AM.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:09 AM

Or, we could go back to talking about guitars???

I could not find a raw to play, but found a few painted cargos to play. And, I really like them Then, I found a deal on a red one that will soon be mine.

I believe this little guitar can and will do well it it's role, leaving the big ones and wooden ones at home, not too hot, not too cold.

Huss and Dalton T-0014
Collings I35LC
CA Cargo
Simon and Patrick Parlor
Old 03-03-2014, 11:11 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
I have not. I do have (well, my niece has it right now) one of the original Legacy (Crown of Thorn models) CA guitars that's from the original factory. It has a gloss finish.

Hard to compare to the Cargo, though, due to the huge size difference.
Correct.

Until a year ago, I also had a hi-gloss tobacco burst GXi which is the big brother of the Cargo, but really in shape only. Entirely different, tonally. The GXi is a very nice guitar (sold it to fund the Emerald doubleneck).

I'm curious about the tonal difference of a gloss Cargo compared to the RT finish because I'm toying with the idea of selling mine to buy either a white gloss or carbon burst gloss. I REALLY like the Cargo and since I play it so much, I'm thinking of buying the nicest model that appeals to me. BUT, I don't want to compromise tone over looks without some opinions ('cause I won't be able to test drive).

Btw, sorry Sike if I'm sidetracking your thread a bit. Have you happened to try an RT finish? If so, any thoughts on it vs. an HG Cargo?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber