The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 11-08-2016, 05:05 AM

Default Advice on how to rack mount non-rack gear

Howdy I bought a 1/2 rack case to house all my gear. Although none of it is meant to be rack mounted.

I plan to use the case on its side. I originally thought of building this shelves but I wondered if there was a better way?

One of the items is my Focusrite 18i8.

Does anyone have any cool tricks they know?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 11-08-2016, 06:02 AM
Charter Member

Why on its side & not as intended?

Attach equipment to proper rack-mount shelves, or drill holes in their chassis & use extender brackets as needed to reach the rack mounting holes.
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=572579
Old 11-08-2016, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkrell View Post
Why on its side & not as intended?

Attach equipment to proper rack-mount shelves, or drill holes in their chassis & use extender brackets as needed to reach the rack mounting holes.

Yes I could do this a lot easier if I could place the rack itself this way but where I am at I do not have the space to go sideways. (Yes we are that tight for space).
The gear are things like an 18i8 a small mixer etc. these all seem to be well positioned when the rack is sideways.

To be honest this is not intended the same as a rack.

My idea is to mount the items I use to practice and record with. Then also have built in storage for my mikes, shock mounts, cables etc. this is to keep everything together and be able to pop the front cover off and connect in easily. At the moment all my gear is in boxes stacked around and it's too time consuming to set up and take down whenever I want to use my gear.

I am thinking about just making shelves and a few slide outs.

Screwing into the 18i8 etc is a possibility but I might just make location mounts and then strap it in place to the shelf.

Still looking st all possibilities though.
Old 11-14-2016, 10:38 AM

I am going through this same dilemma right now, as I have 6 tube power supplies for microphones that aren't rack mountable. So, I called the guy who made my slant rack, and he said that he could make me a companion rack with a few rack spaces on the bottom (for interface, dig converter, and rack strip), and then on top of that, three or four adjustable shelves. The company is called madeinfarmington.com

here's all of his contact info....

Made In Farmington

P.O. Box 23
103 S First Street
Farmington, WA. 99128
U.S.A.

Phone: 509-287-2016
Hours: Monday - Friday, 8am - 5pm PST
Email: [email protected]

Owner/Designer/Builder: Joel Abbott
Old 11-14-2016, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
I am going through this same dilemma right now, as I have 6 tube power supplies for microphones that aren't rack mountable. So, I called the guy who made my slant rack, and he said that he could make me a companion rack with a few rack spaces on the bottom (for interface, dig converter, and rack strip), and then on top of that, three or four adjustable shelves. The company is called madeinfarmington.com

here's all of his contact info....

Made In Farmington

P.O. Box 23
103 S First Street
Farmington, WA. 99128
U.S.A.

Phone: 509-287-2016
Hours: Monday - Friday, 8am - 5pm PST
Email: [email protected]

Owner/Designer/Builder: Joel Abbott

Thanks for the reply.
I have decided to do something similar.
I have designed and laid out shelves.
There pretty much all done. After the final fitting I will either finish in wood or paint black. I have not decided.

My project is to really create a mobile studio I can use as a small compact area to keep most of my recording gear. All the I one and then use it on the go.

Because I'm limited where I can store this, the biggest rack case I could fit was a 6U half. So I've had to leave out a few things. Like I left out the laptop since I will likely use my iPad more often if going mobile. I may be able to have a spot for IPad in the case.

I hope to have it mostly done in the next couple days. If the rain stops. (I have to construct it outside.)

When done I'll show some pictures.

If you have any tips though I'd certainly be interested as this is not done yet.
I'm currently trying to make room for 3 LDC mikes and their shockmounts. One set of closed back tracking monitors.

Vertically housing my Ribbon mic and leaving hand space above my small mixer has taken a lot of available space. The space above the mixer though is doubling as a storage spot for my AKG open back mixing ear monitors. Too bad these don't fold. Oh well.

The good thing is after a while if I want to modify this I can just build some new shelves and change it all around.

Do you have any pictures of your set up?
Old 11-15-2016, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mischief View Post
Do you have any pictures of your set up?
No I just contacted him a few days ago and so I need to send him measurements of all of my different power supplies. But I will start the process soon!
Old 11-16-2016, 03:40 AM

Default Advice on how to rack mount non-rack gear

Well I still have 3 LDC mikes, closed back monitor, iPad and a few bits to fit in the rest of this space. So I'll have to get creative.

I've decided the shock mounts will not get housed in the case they I'll travel in a separate case with the mike stands if going mobile.
But here's a few in progress photos.

It's coming along.
In behind the black case housing the Ribbon mic is the spot for power bar and power cabling in back.

Once it's totally finalized everything will be secured in further and some foam inserts for air travel made in case the whole thing is dropped.

It's still a little rough but I think it will get there.

Last edited by Mischief; 11-16-2016 at 03:46 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD