The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 04-01-2017, 03:49 PM

Default GAS.

Gassing for a Gibson Les Paul Tribute on sale from Sweetwater. Any info about both would be appreciated. Thanks!!!.
Old 04-01-2017, 04:29 PM

The ever-entertaining Greg Koch makes this one sound like a million bucks with his library of licks:

2015 Gibson J-45 Vintage
2007 Gibson SJ-200 True Vintage
Old 04-01-2017, 10:44 PM

Your post got me started on a journey to find a new electric guitar...I ran across this beauty and bought it.

http://www.gretschguitars.com/gear/b...n-pickups-gold
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Ibanez Acoustic Bass 12 M1
Martin 12 string X Series
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

Formerly known as Martin Maniac.....

M
Old 04-02-2017, 09:44 AM

If you're also asking about Sweetwater, I'm a repeat customer for a reason. I've never been disappointed in either selection or service.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 04-02-2017, 11:43 AM

What Clint said about Sweetwater...

If you're shopping LP Tribute IME the one you want is the '17 goldtop T with the humbuckers - and if I didn't think there was a real possibility I'd be sleeping in the back of my SUV I'd buy one as a mate to my '11 P-90 version; in my book this guitar - along with the J-15 acoustic - is the proof that Gibson can make first-class stuff that don't have to cost an arm and a leg. The weight-relieved body not only makes it easier on the shoulder than the standard LP (2-3 pounds worth depending on the individual instruments), but it has a natural liveliness and acoustic response that I personally find very appealing - there's a sweetness to the upper-mids that the full-weight version can't achieve, and while the Tribute can't quite capture that low-midrange impact there's no mistake when you plug in that you're playing a Gibson Les Paul and not some half-arse low-buck copy; in addition, they wisely brought back the PRS-style revealed-edge "binding" discontinued with the '12 goldtop models - pop on a set of speed knobs and a pickup-switch ring, and it'll look like a sweet '57 PAF that got put away under the bed when surf music hit the charts. In all fairness, you might want to try the Newark St. Guild Bluesbird and Aristocrat M-75 as well if you're shopping in this price range - I've heard good things about both - but IME if it's gotta be a Gibson you'll have to spend three times as much to match this one; FYI if I were you I'd monitor the Sweetwater website a couple times a day - these guitars really are that good, and new stock often sells out within a matter of hours after listing...

Last edited by Kerbie; 04-14-2017 at 05:41 PM. Reason: Edited content
Old 04-03-2017, 06:02 PM

I have a Gibson Les Paul '60s Tribute Goldtop with the P90s. I bought it used at the local shop 1.5 years ago (with SKB hard shell case). I couldn't pass that up.

Light on my shoulder. It plays and sounds great too. I'd love to have one with humbuckers, that would be sweet.
Old 04-03-2017, 07:45 PM

Speaking of GAS, my Gretsch guitar has shipped and is scheduled to be here Wednesday afternoon !!!!
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Ibanez Acoustic Bass 12 M1
Martin 12 string X Series
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

Formerly known as Martin Maniac.....

M
Old 04-13-2017, 06:32 PM

OK,Went and played a Gibson Les Paul Tribute yesterday at Samash and it sucked!. Frets were uneven and the lower side of the board had Very sharp edged frets. The pickups were also somewhat lame compared to my `04 Gibson Les Paul Special w/P-90`s. Played through a Fender Champion 100 Amp like I have here. Somewhat very disappointed but tomorrow I`ll try one at GC and see what happens?. Thanks All!!!.
Old 04-13-2017, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Anglo View Post
OK, went and played a Gibson Les Paul Tribute yesterday at Sam Ash and it sucked! Frets were uneven and the lower side of the board had very sharp edged frets. The pickups were also somewhat lame compared to my`04 Gibson Les Paul Special w/P-90`s. Played through a Fender Champion 100 Amp like I have here. Somewhat very disappointed but tomorrow I`ll try one at GC and see what happens? Thanks All!!!
Some observations from personal experience:
  • The "fret sprout" you noticed is a common problem with many (if not most) factory-made guitars built after about 1975 regardless of price, the result of using kiln-dried woods in an effort to meet demand and cut production costs (also the root of the "humidifier panic" over on the General forum, BTW); had the same issue with both my LP and my '07 SG Faded Bass; easily fixed by any good tech when you take it in for initial setup FYI - or if you have woodworking experience, a set of progressively finer sanding sponges, and 0000 steel wool, you can do the job yourself in about an hour...
  • I own a P-90 Tribute and I too noticed a difference - humbuckers aren't going to sound like P-90's - and since I also needed to make adjustments to my own pickups to optimize them for my preferred strings/playing style (as I have with every electric I've ever owned), I saw nothing that couldn't be solved with a Phillips screwdriver and a little playing time through my own amps...
  • It's the bottom of their line, and there are definitely dogs out there - I've played a few - so don't let this one put you off...
Old 04-14-2017, 05:39 PM

Thank You Steve!!!. I`ll see what happens.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars