The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 04-18-2015, 04:40 PM

Default Chet Atkins Trambone???

Hey everyone just looking for a little help here, I have a nice Chet book with Trambone tabs in it tabbed as it was recorded, no problem, BUT, I go on Youtube to check out the tune and in many videos the version of this song being played is very different from the recording, no problem, BUT, many of the versions on YT are very similar to each other but different from the recording, so i guess my question is, is there another recording of another version that many other folks have learned? I like all versions i have heard, and I will prolly learn many parts and put them together for my own version, but just curious, If you go on the tube and check out Chet Atkins Trambone you may see what i am talking about, any help or insight would be great. Thanx in advance!
Old 04-19-2015, 07:54 AM

Have you not found any version which resembles the tab? Does the book not say which version is its source? (if it says "as recorded" it really ought to say which record. I would assume the original or first studio version - but maybe not?)
Does the tab match this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqzcW2zm7XU
Old 04-19-2015, 10:22 AM

Yes, the tab I have is for the studio version as recorded on the album "Down Home", and thats good, but what I am also saying is if you go YT there are several versions that are similar to each other but very different from the version on Down Home, in fact the other versions are so similar that i am wondering if there is another recorded version that i am unaware of.
Old 04-19-2015, 10:54 AM

Why don't you just say, "to heck with the tabs" and work on developing your very own version of Trambone. I once read an interview with Paul Yandell in which he remarked that when he went on tour with Chet, he (Paul) would practice and prepare for the songs he'd be playing with Chet only to have Chet change how he played them. Many of the songs I play including the ones I've written myself, I change up and play slightly differently each time depending upon my mood and whether or not I'm bored
Old 04-19-2015, 11:00 AM

You mean versions by people covering it? Not others by Chet Atkins?

I checked out a couple, and it seems they're just doing their own variations. (It's that kind of a sequence, which tempts anyone with some ability to add their own tweaks...)

I think I know what you mean about odd similarities between them - in particular, two or three feature the same rapid descending pull-off lick at the end of the sequence, which doesn't appear on the original "Down Home" version. I don't know any other Chet versions, but I guess they must have got that somewhere. (Duane Eddy is one of the guys doing it.)
Old 04-19-2015, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailpicker View Post
Why don't you just say, "to heck with the tabs" and work on developing your very own version of Trambone. I once read an interview with Paul Yandell in which he remarked that when he went on tour with Chet, he (Paul) would practice and prepare for the songs he'd be playing with Chet only to have Chet change how he played them. Many of the songs I play including the ones I've written myself, I change up and play slightly differently each time depending upon my mood and whether or not I'm bored
I agree! As I said above (before I saw your post), Trambone is the kind of tune that - once you've got the basic thing - it's hard to resist doing it your way.

(Without a vibrato arm, you can't really do those opening bends anyhow...)
Old 04-19-2015, 11:11 AM
Charter Member

Maybe this will get you started.

http://dcoombsguitar.com/Guitar%20Mu...p/Trambone.pdf

Some extra fill in notes on the original recording, but this is a pretty good starting point.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 04-19-2015, 11:14 AM

Smile Thank you JonPR

You got it, you understood what i was asking, i do most of my learning by ear but will blend many versions to make my own, Thanx everyone for your suggestions and thoughts, maybe i will figure out how to post a vid and post it when its done!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write