The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 04-24-2015, 03:25 AM

Default how do i play the intro of lodi

Hi all im playing lodi and would like someone to help me play the intro I need to find some one that can show me slowly .Looking forward to a reply .John
Old 04-24-2015, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboy1234 View Post
Hi all im playing lodi and would like someone to help me play the intro I need to find some one that can show me slowly .Looking forward to a reply .John
Code:
 Bb                              F7      Eb      Bb
|--------------|----------------|---------------|---------------|-
|----3-3-3---4-|4/6--6---6-\-3--|4---4---4---4--|3--------------|-
|----3-3-3---5-|5/7--7---7-\-3--|5---5---5p3-3--|3--------------|-
 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 .
Bb is not a very nice key for guitar of course, so - if you want to play it in the original key - you could put a capo on fret 1 and play as if in A (shapes A-E7-D), or capo on 3 and play as if in G (shapes G-D7-C).
That lead lick would be in the same position, of course, but with a capo you might want to count from the capo, subtracting 1 or 3 depending.
Old 04-27-2015, 08:45 AM

I've always been a great Forgerty fan and love all those subtle licks and double stops he uses. If you watch videos of him playing Lodi ,A.C. (after creedence) ! he usually is playing it in C.

Its true the recording sounds like Bflat, but back in those days he tuned down alot, so playing it in C would account for that.
Use the tab that JonPR posted but transpose your licks to start on the 5th and you have it!
Old 04-27-2015, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowesthand View Post
I've always been a great Forgerty fan and love all those subtle licks and double stops he uses. If you watch videos of him playing Lodi ,A.C. (after creedence) ! he usually is playing it in C.

Its true the recording sounds like Bflat, but back in those days he tuned down alot, so playing it in C would account for that.
Right.
The opening lick, at least, doesn't require open strings,and you can see JF playing it from 5th fret (as you suggest):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thbjpC0N21o

More importantly, if you're singing this song, you need to choose a key for your voice. JF has a particularly high voice - and it's unusual to find a singer actually raising the key later in his career! - so a way of lowering those riffs might be more useful than raising them. (Unless you choose to sing an octave down of course.)

Last edited by JonPR; 04-27-2015 at 09:19 AM.
Old 04-29-2015, 03:47 AM

Default john from new zealand

Hi thanks for the advice but wanting some one to show me where and what frets to use im a learner and you guys are pros .im playing it in the key of G and a capo on the first fret .its the intro im after .Kind regards John
Old 04-29-2015, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnboy1234 View Post
Hi thanks for the advice but wanting some one to show me where and what frets to use im a learner and you guys are pros .im playing it in the key of G and a capo on the first fret .its the intro im after .Kind regards John
OK, in that case, just subtract 3 from all those tab figures I posted.
(Frets counted from the capo)
Code:
 G                               D7      C       G
|----0-0-0---1-|1/3--3---3p0-0--|1---1---1---1--|0--------------|-
|----0-0-0---2-|2/4--4---4p0-0--|2---2---2p0-0--|0--------------|-
 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 .
Old 04-29-2015, 08:49 AM

Thx to both John and Jon. I haven't played that song in so long. I'm going to a jam tonight and am going to play it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write