The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 04-23-2015, 11:55 AM
Get off my lawn kid

I knew that (not) lol. Thanks!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 04-23-2015, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray1981 View Post
Yes I get you although for completely beginners it can be usefull. And you can always modify it with some pdf program probably. I only watch to the fingerings for the arpeggios now they are usefull for me. But im not a real advanced player I only play for about 4 years.
I'm average at best . Back when I was learning I did the CAGED all on pages printed with guitar necks. Lots of scribbling and correcting ; lots and lots of
mapping . Definitely fingerings are good for starting. I always found things got cluttered enough with scale degrees, dots on frets, circles around dots , and other notes, without adding the extra layer of fingering (which mostly sorts itself out anyway) .

I like now having the melodic and harmonic forms on a nice chart . I can read my old scribbly ones, but I may give a few more lessons and those neat , new ones will come in handy.
Old 04-24-2015, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Shelton View Post
Definitely fingerings are good for starting. I always found things got cluttered enough with scale degrees, dots on frets, circles around dots , and other notes, without adding the extra layer of fingering (which mostly sorts itself out anyway) .
True D Shelton, I generaly think of 4 fingers for 4 frets than you can do a stretch with finger 1 and finger 4 so you can cover 6 frets without moving your hand. I think what im trying to tell here has a special name but I dont know it.

So if I see a pattern on a diagram it sorts itself out as you said. Besides of that some people prefer other fingerings as others also, isn't? There are guitarists who only use 3 fingers (Django, Yngwie Malmsteen) and they know how to play. I beleive there is no 1 one way to play guitar.

https://soundcloud.com/ray-gilbers

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgu...WmLrAGQ/videos
Old 04-26-2015, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarred21 View Post
OKAY, so I can't work my way up the fret board yet and this interests me. Added some fret marks to this Toby's first post pick for needed reference and tested this method. I checked my open string tuning and 12th fret tuning twice and all is good.

All feedback is welcomed.....did I do it right?

Turns out I didn't do it right so my clip is NOT correct. I should have figured it wasn't that easy. Went over this at my last lesson and realized I was not playing the "extra" fingers required past the C, so the C is the only one that sounds right. This requires barring so yes it is difficult. I will see if I can do it again and post the comparison.
2006 Yamaha F200TXR 4 stroke. My Guitars - Yamaha FG700S Sandburst; Epiphone Les Paul Standard; 2018 Yamaha LL-16D Natural; Ibanez Talman Bass; Fender Standard Telecaster; Yamaha FG820-12 Natural; Yamaha FS830 Tobacco Brown Sunburst; ....A beginner practicing almost everyday since 12/15/14....{:::]==={=O=I}
Old 04-26-2015, 11:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarred21 View Post
Turns out I didn't do it right so my clip is NOT correct. I should have figured it wasn't that easy. Went over this at my last lesson and realized I was not playing the "extra" fingers required past the C, so the C is the only one that sounds right. This requires barring so yes it is difficult. I will see if I can do it again and post the comparison.
Remember, this is not about playing full 6-string chords. Its about visualizing where these shapes lie on the fretboard. If you want to practice playing them, thats fine, but its not how you use this system in practice.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write