The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 12-06-2014, 10:35 PM

Default Picking hand fatigue

Are there exercises that address fatigue in the picking hand forearm. Obviously, playing helps, but I'm curious as to whether there are exercises that isolate those muscles.
Old 12-07-2014, 05:55 AM

What kind of position/technique do you use?

I don't really get any fatigue - but I don't have to dig in too hard because of the use of thumb and finger picks!
Old 12-07-2014, 06:30 AM

Check out Handmaster Plus. Great product.
Old 12-07-2014, 08:00 AM

Unless I had some sort of medical/physiological issue, I wouldn't dream of using anything other than the guitar for increasing strength and endurance in the muscles associated with guitar playing. The body will adapt to the rigours of playing if you put in the hours - provided your technique is safe enough of course. If you're in any pain (this is different to tiredness) you need to stop!
Old 12-07-2014, 02:53 PM
Charter Member

there are certainly many exercises that involve light weights that will work the wrists and forearms... similarly, there are some really good "stretches" for the forearms, as well.

I employ both, along with a quick hand massage that I learned back in the early 70's, kind of an acupressure/shiatsu technique. I've been doing it for long that it is almost unconscious for me, and I'll do it several times a day...

I also have some Chinese "meditation balls" (Zen temple balls?) that are really good to use... I tend to only think of using them when I have any sort of hand/finger/wrist/forearm pain, which is pretty stupid, actually; I would think that using those in a more regimented application would be very good for a preventative measure.

Basically, they are two shiny chrome/metal balls, approx. 2" in diameter (you can get different sizes). Inside the balls are little chimes, almost like mini-gongs, and the object (as I understand it) is to roll both balls in the palm of your hand, in both a counter and clockwise direction, without making the gongs chime! I start slowly and work into it, doing several minutes in each hand, each direction. Interesting to note that one direction is easy as pie for me, and the other has me feeling pretty clumsy... they are fairly inexpensive ( as little as $4), but there are some fancy ones that cost a bunch.

Since I was 16 and decided to "be" a musician/guitarist/songwriter, I realized quickly that MY HANDS AND FINGERS were of paramount import, and I've always done things to take care of them... pretty hard to play guitar without hands/fingers/wrists that work!

I would suggest you be pro-active about any issues, before they become problems. Asking here is a good start, but Google is your friend...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 12-10-2014, 08:36 PM

Various forearm exercises at the gym, LOTS of playing for hours on end, speed picking, fret and pick hand exercises, a D'Addario adjustable finger exerciser like this...

http://www.daddario.com/PWVideo.Page...b-6242a5e4b10fut

But the best is to just play. Play a lot. Play hard. Play for hours. There aren't really any shortcuts to just playing your a** off.
2011 Martin D28 Sunburst | 2004 Taylor 310CE L7 | Mesa Boogie Rectoverb | Fender Super | Custom 1998 American Stratocaster | Yamaha Alto Sax | Ibanez Basses | Ramirez Flamenco | too much else to mention
Old 12-11-2014, 02:35 AM

Does your arm fatigue easily? It shouldn't if you have relaxed and proper technique. Muscle fitness is great and will certainly help to prevent injury from repetitive strenuous action but it is not really needed.

Make sure you are picking with your wrist and not the whole arm. It is all about economy of motion. The force required to pick the string is minimal but it is very easy to tense up unknowingly causing rapid fatigue. It is an autonomous response of the body when we do something demanding, an instinct that remains from our days being chased by predators.

Try to monitor your level of tension in your body when playing. Let all your muscles totally relaxin your body and then pick up the guitar. Don't try to play anything but just floppily play around with it being all loosened up, give this level of tension a rating of 1. Now tense up every muscle in your body and try to play. Give this a tension rating of 10.

This is an exercise that will help you become aware of where you tense up. If you do it right after a while you will become aware of how you tense up when you play, and hopefully be able to rectify it.

Also check your posture when playing. You can make life harder by sitting in an awkward position. Your forearm and wrist will not work in an optimal way if your hand is angled, so make sure you're not causing extra effort with that.

My assorted assembly of aural "art"
Old 12-11-2014, 11:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by veryzer View Post
Are there exercises that address fatigue in the picking hand forearm. Obviously, playing helps, but I'm curious as to whether there are exercises that isolate those muscles.
Hi veryzer...

How long are you playing before fatigue sets in?

Lots of possiblilities…
  • High action leads to fatigue
  • Injury or weakened muscles can cause fatigue
  • Playing endless barre chords leads to fatigue of a different set of muscles
  • Poor posture can lead to hand/arm fatigue
  • I had a strap which was pinching a nerve in my shoulder and causing my fretting hand and forearm to fatigue and even tremble
  • Not playing 'relaxed' causes fatigue…
  • This is not an exhaustive list…*…*…

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 12-12-2014, 10:48 AM

Many good suggestions already. Assuming good posture, proper technique, and no medical issues....if you still are having problems, also consider moving upstream.

My demon has been in the shoulder. Over the years, I have had to make a conscious effort to be aware of shoulder tension. I have a tendency to develop a tightening in my shoulder and upper arm area. It can manifest itself in rigid forearm and hand positioning, impacting tone production as well as fatigue. In this case, exercise may not be the answer.
Become acutely aware of all muscle groups, not just below the elbow. Practice relaxation techniques. Stop, breathe, drop your arm, shake it out. Get back on the guitar with particular focus on relaxation.
Re-define how you approach slow practice. It's not only about fine-tuning technique in order to build speed, it's also about playing slowly so that your brain can engage in the micro-mechanics which may not be able to be identified at tempo. I often practice familiar pieces at very slow tempo for this reason. Your brain and fingers develop a muscle-memory when you always play at tempo. Playing at a slow speed forces you to rely on other aspects brain-hand relation and may cause other issues to surface that had previously gone un-noticed.
Best of luck....
Old 12-13-2014, 05:31 PM

As others mentioned, there shouldn't be much fatigue with a proper posture/technique. If you just started playing, you picking hand can get tense, but it should go away pretty quickly.

Kenny Hill Estudio 650

https://soundcloud.com/viable-to-stray
Old 12-13-2014, 10:25 PM

It is very possible with overwork to make yourself tired. No question. Have to disagree with the post above - even the most impeccable technique will lead to fatigue if you overdo it.

I got tennis elbow in my fretting arm a few years back. It took months to sort it, and basically involved not playing much. Not fun.
Old 12-17-2014, 04:28 PM

an exercise I have done for many years--

arm extended straight down against your side, then bend each finger backwards until you feel it, and hold for a couple seconds, do each finger / thumb, both hands.
Reverses that clutching motion you use with your playing and helps stretch those tendons
And you can do this exercise any time.

Another one Victor Wooten taught me ( and this one may feel a little painful)
arms straight out, then open /squeeze hand as rapidly as possible, if you can do 30 seconds on your first try, your doing great, try to set a goal of one minute. It is a really great hand exercise to strengthen and minimize fatigue. I do both exercises daily,

and a really old fashioned exercise :: wash the dishes (morning and night)
thats my job too..
Old 04-15-2015, 08:30 PM

I just reviewed this post of mine and found (to my embarrassment) that I'm the jerk who doesn't say thank you for lots of excellent advice....so now I'll be the lesser jerk who says thank you four months late.

I have noticed that my endurance has improved with more practice. What it amounts to is that I can play forever, but when it comes to playing faster, more challenging material I fatigue more easily.

I know part of this is because I tense up, but it just feels like I need to to this for the necessary precision or speed. I also know part of this is that I need to continue building strength.

SO once again, thanks for your advice as I continue to implement it.
Old 04-15-2015, 09:38 PM
Charter Member

…oops wrong post

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write