The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-22-2018, 04:59 PM

Default 12 fret guitars to consider?

Hello,

I am in search of a 12 fret guitar but would like to get some input from other members about what to guitars to consider. I don't take lessons, I learn off of youtube and make stuff up on my own.

Many years ago when I was in college, I broke my left wrist and now that same wrist does not have a full range of motion. Because my left wrist doesn't have full range of motion, it makes fretting some chords on the 1st and 2nd frets very difficult.

A few weeks ago, I had the idea that perhaps a 12 fret guitar would make fretting chords on the 1st and 2nd frets easier.

I went to a local guitar shop and tried a couple of 12 fret guitars:

Martin 000-15SM
Taylor 322e

I was pleasantly surprised and found the 12 fret guitars easier to play, but I wasn't that happy with the sound. The Taylor finger picked well but when you strum harder, the guitar sounds overwhelmed to me. The Martin did not sound very full to me.

I have seen an Ibanez 12 fret dreadnought online, but it's not solid wood and I am afraid it wouldn't be very good quality. I am aware that Martin, SCGC and some others make 12 fret dreadnoughts, but they are more money than I was planning on spending, I am not opposed at all to a 12 fret dread, but I am trying to stay under $2300. I currently have a Taylor 414ce. I think I want a dreadnought sound from either a 12 fret dreadnought or perhaps a smaller body, with 12 frets. Please let me know if you have suggestions for me to consider.

Thanks.

Last edited by cos_picker; 01-23-2018 at 09:16 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-22-2018, 05:30 PM
Charter Member

If you want a 12 fret small bodied guitar, I'd look for a used Martin 000-28VS. They are amazing flatpicked, fingerpicked, or strummed. There probably aren't many around, so I am not sure about pricing. If you are considering 12 fret dreadnoughts, you can easily find a new Larrivee SD40 in rosewood or mahogany for well inside you price range. (That's my next guitar.)
Old 01-22-2018, 05:31 PM
Charter Member

Short scale does the easier fretting thing more than the 12 fret neck connection. The 12 fret neck connection gives the attack and tone a rounder sound than the 14 fret variant because of where the bridge is located on the top. 12 Fret guitars have the bridge more near the center of the lower bought of the instrument.

A used Martin 000-28VS would bit worth stretching your self financially for if you want to stay with smaller guitars.

I'm personally a huge fan of 12 Fret Dreadnought guitars!!!

High End Guitar Review Videos.
www.youtube.com/user/rockinb23
Old 01-22-2018, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zissou Intern View Post
If you want a 12 fret small bodied guitar, I'd look for a used Martin 000-28VS. They are amazing flatpicked, fingerpicked, or strummed. There probably aren't many around, so I am not sure about pricing. If you are considering 12 fret dreadnoughts, you can easily find a new Larrivee SD40 in rosewood or mahogany for well inside you price range. (That's my next guitar.)
Thanks for the idea, I wasn't even aware of that guitar. I am certainly considering the 12 fret dreadnoughts.
Old 01-22-2018, 06:10 PM

As an aside, how do you hold the guitar? Standing, with a strap? Sitting, and if so, on which leg? If like most people, you rest it over your right leg, I recommend trying it with it resting on your left leg, with the body sort of between the, in what is usually known as "classical" position. This will keep your left wrist much straighter, and may work better for you. It may take a little bit to get use to, if you are used to the other leg.

Dreads, FYI, do not work well in this position. But ther eis always a Small Jumbo.

If I was in the market for a very good mid-sized 12-fretter in your price range, I would certainly look at this:

https://reverb.com/item/7640977-webb...nian-blackwood

Full disclosure, I have a Small Jumbo Webber in these same woods. You don't have to take my word for it: start a thread asking for opinions on Webber Guitars...
Old 01-22-2018, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
As an aside, how do you hold the guitar? Standing, with a strap? Sitting, and if so, on which leg? If like most people, you rest it over your right leg, I recommend trying it with it resting on your left leg, with the body sort of between the, in what is usually known as "classical" position. This will keep your left wrist much straighter, and may work better for you. It may take a little bit to get use to, if you are used to the other leg.

Dreads, FYI, do not work well in this position. But ther eis always a Small Jumbo.

If I was in the market for a very good mid-sized 12-fretter in your price range, I would certainly look at this:

https://reverb.com/item/7640977-webb...nian-blackwood

Full disclosure, I have a Small Jumbo Webber in these same woods. You don't have to take my word for it: start a thread asking for opinions on Webber Guitars...
Thanks for the information. I have looked at that same Webber about 50 times and just wish I could play one first.

I always play sitting down and the guitar rests on my right leg, no strap. I have strap and just never use it. I will have to explore, the option you mentioned.
PRS S2 Singlecut Standard
Old 01-22-2018, 06:21 PM

You need short scale but also capo up a couple of frets.
seagull mjm6
alvarez mfa66CE
recording king ro-310
Taylor 312ce IBANEZ AF95FM
Old 01-22-2018, 06:23 PM

Default 12 Fret

You should be able to find a used Webber 12 fret in that price range. I can't say enough good about his guitars.
1968 Aria 6815 12 String, bought new
Old 01-22-2018, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cos_picker View Post
...I'm in search of a 12 fret guitar but would like to get some input from other members about what to guitars to consider...

I went to a local guitar shop and tried a couple of 12 fret guitars:

Martin 000-15SM
Taylor 322e

...The Martin did not sound very full to me.

...I am aware that Martin, SCGC and some others make 12 fret dreadnoughts, but they are more money than I was planning on spending, I am not opposed at all to a 12 fret dread, but I am trying to stay under $2300...I think I want a dreadnought sound from either a 12 fret dreadnought or perhaps a smaller body, with 12 frets...
Owner of four all-mahogany guitars here...

That 000-15SM is a hidden gem and IMO the best value-per-dollar in the current Martin lineup - and I'm not surprised at your initial impression. IME hog-tops need to be broken in differently than comparable spruce-top instruments - they need to be played harder (pull out your best Pete Townshend chord solos here), more often, and over a longer period of time before they begin to open up - but when they come into their own they're capable of surprising richness, depth, and maturity of sound. Another little AGF member secret is to use Martin Retro monels (if you're going back and forth between strumming and fingerpicking the Laurence Juber set might be a good choice - that's what I'm using on my D-15S) - it's almost as if they were made for these guitars, and why they're not fitted as standard issue is beyond me...

You mention being OK with a 12-fret dread if it can be had for under $2300. Although Martin (unwisely) discontinued the D-15S as part of their regular lineup, LA Guitars gets a special-order Custom Shop run every so often; they're wonderful, powerful, versatile guitars (again, if they're broken in right), and while you can come very close to the dreadnaught sound with that 12-fret 000 body and a set of medium-gauge strings (better for recording or miked-up live work IMO - more controllable low-end response) there's nothing like the visceral bass rumble of a 12-fret dread when you lay into it. I'd call Ted @ LA and see what he has coming down the pipeline - nice guy, regular contributor here, and very accommodating to AGF members...

Hope this helps...
Old 01-22-2018, 07:14 PM
Charter Member

If you find it hard to play at the first few frets you can explain this to a luthier/setup man. You can sacrifice power (a hard right hand) for ease of play. While you build up strength and calluses.

In other words you can have the nut slots filed lower and use lower gauge (or tension) strings while playing softer. You might not be able to play rock n roll on it but you can get low action. It will still enable all 6 strings to ring out cleanly with less finger muscle while chording. Truss rod and saddle height come into this intro setup. After you develop strength you can raise the action slightly and play harder.
Old 01-22-2018, 07:17 PM
Guest 1511

The 12-frets that I think are outstanding are the Eastman E10 and E10 OOs, and the Taylor 812 12-frets/712 12-frets. I cannot say enough about the Eastmans, they are simply superb 12-fret guitars. So easy to play; so wonderful sounding; so easy on the wallet.
Old 01-22-2018, 07:22 PM

Given the Breedlove fan that I am, I'm itching to get a hold of one of these for a tryout:

http://acousticguitar.com/gear-revie...eid=2d0e25da98

If you play it right the first time, it's not hard enough.

Breedlove Exotic CM Classic E: Red Cedar/Black Walnut
Bedell Angelica Bellissima Parlor: Sunken Cedar/EIR
Breedlove Crossover OO Mandolin: Sitka/Maple
Old 01-22-2018, 07:23 PM
Charter Member

I too have sustained serious injuries to my left arm, and 12 fret guitars do make a difference. They are mainly what I play now days. MFG offers (I think Jon still sells these) a custom 000-18GE 12 fret. These are fantastic guitars. These are also short scale instruments, so they are even more comfortable to play than regular 12 frets. New, these would be a bit beyond your budget, but a used one should be reachable if you can locate one. Trust me, it would really be worth it to at least try to find one. Not only are they very playable, they are a sonic delight. Good luck finding something that works for you.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:00 PM

I have two 12-fret Larrivees, a 00-09 and an LS-03 Forum III, that were bought used and are both great playing and sounding guitars. I couldn't be happier.

I also own several 14-fret guitars from Martin, Gibson, and Larrivee that are as nice or nicer than the 12-fretters. They tend to stay in their cases.
Old 01-23-2018, 12:17 AM

Try gibson j45!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion