The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-22-2018, 12:34 PM

Default Heating a Guitar Case

Question: Guitar owners in cold states do you put a hand warmer of some sort in your case when traveling/driving in the vehicle with the guitar? Is this a good idea or could it cause unforeseen problems from heat or off gassing or??

When I lived in MT I would have to drive 30 miles (sometimes a couple hour drive) to the nearest Bluegrass Jams twice a week and back then I had a cedar top guitar and still took great care to keep the vehicle warm, etc. to not allow the guitar and case to get too cold, but it just wasn't always possible. (spent 5 days one time trapped in my vehicle in a snowstorm) Now that I have a Gibson Southern Jumbo with the nitro finish I really worry about checking, not to mention just general guitar health.

I just want to have systems in place to deal with all circumstances and just get it all dialed.

Gibson "Custom Late 1950's Reissue Southern Jumbo Triburst"
Taylor 314CE (Built by Ren Ferguson)
Mystery Resonator
Fender Stratocaster
Old 01-22-2018, 12:39 PM
Guest 1928

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarFundi View Post
Question: Guitar owners in cold states do you put a hand warmer of some sort in your case when traveling/driving in the vehicle with the guitar? Is this a good idea or could it cause unforeseen problems from heat or off gassing or??
I'm sure there are worse ideas, but none come to mind at the moment. Heating source in a confined space with localized temperature gradients and driving down relative humidity? No good can come of that.

Is the guitar in the passenger compartment with you? If so, there shouldn't be any temperature issues in the short(ish) trip you described.
Old 01-22-2018, 12:46 PM

I would be more worried about some sort of chemical reaction giving off heat in the confined space of a guitar case with my guitar in it than I would be about temperature changes inside of my car.
2004 Fender Telecaster MIM
2010 Martin DCX1RE
1984 Sigma DM3
Fender Mustang III v2
Old 01-22-2018, 12:54 PM

In the short term, you should be ok. If you keep your guitar in it's case and it stays out in the cold for a long time, it's best to bring it in and let it acclimate slowly by leaving it in the case for a few hours or even overnight.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 01-22-2018, 01:43 PM

I agree with the general consensus in this thread so far: heating a guitar case is likely to cause far more problems than it will solve.

GuitarFundi, your best bet is to get an insulated case cover for the guitar. I had a similar problem when I was living in Anchorage proper: we had a carport rather than a garage at that house, and on cold winter mornings when I'd jump in the car to drive to church Sunday mornings, my mandolin would go berserk once I got there. It would take 20-30 minutes to settle down enough to get it to stay in tune.

This happened because the car was just too cold. The guitar and the other stringed instruments I play didn't seem to be bothered by this brief exposure to a cold car, but the mandolin sure was.

So I got an insulated case cover for the mandolin, and it solved the problem. The cold couldn't penetrate the insulation fast enough to throw the tuning out of whack.

It's just a thought, but it's what I would do if I was in your current position.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 01-22-2018, 01:47 PM

I wouldn't. Keep in mind that the heat generated by the hand warmer pack can only last a few hours, and will drive the humidity inside the case down dramatically. Prolonged exposure to cold will still cold-soak the guitar.

Getting cold is not generally damaging by itself. What causes problems is rapid re-warming once you take a cold-soaked guitar out in a warm environment. If your guitar gets cold (such as riding in the unheated bed of a pickup truck all day) make sure to let it come back to room temperature slowly over 12-24 hours, depending on how cold and for how long.
Old 01-22-2018, 02:09 PM

Quote:

When I lived in MT I would have to drive 30 miles (sometimes a couple hour drive) to the nearest Bluegrass Jams twice a week and back then I had a cedar top guitar and still took great care to keep the vehicle warm, etc. to not allow the guitar and case to get too cold, but it just wasn't always possible. (spent 5 days one time trapped in my vehicle in a snowstorm) Now that I have a Gibson Southern Jumbo with the nitro finish I really worry about checking, not to mention just general guitar health.

I just want to have systems in place to deal with all circumstances and just get it all dialed.
This sounds like quite the adventure! Were you really stuck in the car for 5 days?? Did you have a guitar with you? Did you play it to pass the time or did you have to think about burning it to stay warm?
Martin 00L-17
Voyage Air OM04
Breedlove Oregon Concert
1975 Aria 9422
Old 01-22-2018, 02:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Question: Guitar owners in cold states do you put a hand warmer of some sort in your case when traveling/driving in the vehicle with the guitar?
Um...no. It's a guitar not a baby.
Old 01-22-2018, 02:23 PM

Hand warmers could definitely cause localized areas of temperature change inside the case- I don't think I'd risk it, but for travel during hazardous driving conditions, or even in extreme summer heat travel, I always consider what would be done with the guitars should the vehicle become disabled, and then the more spendy guitars end up taking the night off.

I do keep an unzipped sleeping bag in the back seat; it slows down temperature change to the guitar cases. Having the cases stuffed under the bag not only affords some security, but it might also lessen damage in the event of an accident, or emergency braking. For particularly nasty weather, I've brought the sleeping bag inside a few times during the load-out to allow it to soak up some warmth, and it's poly shell can repel some snow and rain.
Old 01-22-2018, 02:27 PM

I bought an insulated guitar case cover, but to help protect my guitars from the extra heat from the Georgia sun on a hot summer day. It helps, but it is definitely temporary - I still take other precautions, such as keeping the case out of the direct sun, etc.

As others have said, if you have a decent case in the car with you, if you are okay, so will it be. Something safer if you are still concerned about it, why not put it in a quality sleeping bag and zip it closed when you first put it in the car? It would protect your guitar, and if you have another multi-day stranded situation, if might be good protection for you, too!

cotten
Old 01-22-2018, 06:19 PM

I was looking at violin cases on Elderly Instrument's web site the other day (NFI,) and one of the cases had a bag with it that you were supposed to put your violin in for transport to prevent temperature fluctuations. I am wondering if a similar bag is available or if someone could make you one for your guitar. That could be a solution for you.
Old 01-22-2018, 06:35 PM

If we're talking about the back of a car or van that's not well-heated for a while, I'd suggest insulation -- a sleeping bag or a couple of old blankets will slow the temperature change a fair bit even if, given enough time, the case will be in equilibrium with its surroundings. An insulated case cover is nice if you can get one, but if the case is just sitting there you'll probably get more insulation from stuff you already have.
Old 01-22-2018, 06:38 PM

I've given thought to this as well, but haven't acted on it, other than layering a couple sleeping bags on top of my guitar case when it would be in my unheated vehicle for several hours in sub zero temps before making it to an open mic after my daily obligations. The guitar was very cold in spite of my precautions. I propped the case open a few inches and left it in the case for half an hour before taking it out to finish warming up. This has not resulted in any damage to my all solid pro series Takamine with lacquer finish. Next, I may put the cased guitar inside two sleeping bags zipped up, with one inside the other and a battery operated electric sock between the case and the inner sleeping bag. Battery operated, heated socks are found in many Northern sporting goods stores that sell ice fishing stuff.
Old 01-22-2018, 07:51 PM

I own a cover that if I remember correctly claimed it was some sorta space age material. I cant read the name on it anymore because its so old but its silver and almost reflective. I still use it and it works. Its ugly as can be and has been the butt of many jokes over the years but its legit. Maybe someone else can remember the name and or the company.
Old 01-22-2018, 09:33 PM

I am thankful not to live in an area where this would be a concern! Yikes! But, I do think the sleeping bag idea is a good one. A down bag really holds in warmth. Perhaps you should have one for both you and your guitar!

2015 Taylor 512ce 12 fret
early 80's Ovation Ultra 1517
2011 Seagull Entourage Rustic
2011 Taylor Limited NS214ce
2010 Taylor 512c
2016 Ibanez AG75
2014 Taylor GS Mini Koa e
2018 Loar LH 301t
1998 Breedlove Fall Limited # 10 of 20 Redwood/Walnut

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion