The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-21-2018, 06:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
This is where I am also. There was a thread about 9 months ago regarding describing the modern sound and after about 5 pages it was clear that there was ABSOLUTELY NO consensus on what that even was. I found it a little on the funny side really.
I'm wanting to say anything described as "modern" just means it doesn't sound like a Martin, Gibson or any smaller shop/luthier that works in those builder's traditions. And generally it means theres some sustain and clarity vs. the quick-decay and fundamental/woody sound of the traditional builders. Just my theory

-Award-winning songwriter/guitarist, Visual storyteller
-D’Addario, G7th and K&K Sound Artist
-Music on Spotify, Apple Music and YouTube: www.youtube.com/dustinfurlow
-New album "Serene" (Oct '23) and tablature
available at www.dustinfurlow.com
Old 01-21-2018, 06:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazyliszek View Post
I've seen used SC/Collings sell for a similar value as a used Taylor. I can't justify buying a Taylor when I can buy a truly hand crafted instrument at the same price.

This isn't to say they're bad guitars, although my opinion is they sound very metallic without any character.
Again, you might be more specific. A used Taylor PS, 900, some BTO’s, and the RT models could be in the price range of a more standard used Collings or SC model but its apples and oranges with the more mainstream Taylor models (800, 700, 600, 500, 400, and 300 series models). If I compare the higher end Taylor models to my OM1AH, there’s not a huge difference in build quality and finish and that is no surprise since Bill Collings and Bob Taylor were good friends and had a lot of respect and admiration for each other and their manufacturing processes.

Taylor guitars with Elixir strings tend to emphasize the top end and to my ears have a lot of shimmer. IME a lot of players either really like or dislike the Elixir tone. That tonal image can change significantly with different string brands.

Good luck in your search, there’s a lot of choices in your price range.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 01-21-2018, 06:41 PM

Santa Cruz stock or standard builds are OMs with two voicing and trim but I believe most of their production is custom if only the dealer's custom order. They also make these as 14 fret 000 aka OMS (short).

What knocked me out and made the sale was how balanced and versatile mine was (is) among a lot of really great guitars.

At 9 years I have not yet tired of the tone or found a scenario where it hasn't been a good fit. I say trying out Santa Cruz is worth the effort but there are lots of wonderful guitars.
Old 01-21-2018, 07:06 PM

Quote:
I currently have a Breedlove that I enjoy playing modern fingerstyle tunes on.

Santa Cruz, Collings, Goodall, and Furch OM/GC's have my attention, but have read the Santa Cruz and Collings having a more traditional voice.

If I were looking for a modern-voiced brand with great fingerstyle responsiveness and sustain, what would you suggest?

It doesn't have to be the above, feel free to list other manufacturers.
I had the Goodall (RCJC) for quite a few years and while it's a fine guitar, the Breedlove concert (Focus) I had concurrent with it was the better all-around finger picker's guitar. I thought the Goodall yielded better to the plectrum than the Breedlove but I attribute that to the Cedar top on the Breedlove, and my ability to palm mute the Goodall's resonance. If the Breedlove had a spruce top I do believe the Goodall would have been largely upstaged.

The Goodall's sustain was probably where it stood out among all other guitars I'd ever played. But, that same characteristic was its undoing with uptempo pieces where decay had a greater measure of preference when finger picking. I have a classical style of finger picking so my hand is nowhere near the guitar or cocked over to attempt muting while finger picking. So, I shoved a handtowel in the Goodall to see if that would dampen its resonance and it worked nicely. I suppose I could have developed that work-around to make the guitar my go-to but I found the Breedlove's sound more to my liking than the Goodall's with a hand towel in it. Plus, the Breedlove's neck was much better in my hands than the Goodall's.

I've played all the other guitars mentioned above except the Furch. I decided upon the Goodall because it did drown them out in projection and sustain, was very well balanced across the register and should buyer's remorse run its course Goodall always held its value better.
Old 01-21-2018, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitar View Post
I had the Goodall (RCJC) for quite a few years and while it's a fine guitar, the Breedlove concert (Focus) I had concurrent with it was the better all-around finger picker's guitar. I thought the Goodall yielded better to the plectrum than the Breedlove but I attribute that to the Cedar top on the Breedlove, and my ability to palm mute the Goodall's resonance. If the Breedlove had a spruce top I do believe the Goodall would have been largely upstaged.

The Goodall's sustain was probably where it stood out among all other guitars I'd ever played. But, that same characteristic was its undoing with uptempo pieces where decay had a greater measure of preference when finger picking. I have a classical style of finger picking so my hand is nowhere near the guitar or cocked over to attempt muting while finger picking. So, I shoved a handtowel in the Goodall to see if that would dampen its resonance and it worked nicely. I suppose I could have developed that work-around to make the guitar my go-to but I found the Breedlove's sound more to my liking than the Goodall's with a hand towel in it. Plus, the Breedlove's neck was much better in my hands than the Goodall's.

I've played all the other guitars mentioned above except the Furch. I decided upon the Goodall because it did drown them out in projection and sustain, was very well balanced across the register and should buyer's remorse run its course Goodall always held its value better.
I also have a more classical type pluckimg technique and i find my Goodall RGCC to be absolutely splendid. Therefore perhaps the Goodall GC may be a better comparison than their RCJC for your purposes due to the greater bass response of the CJ which may be the cause of the issues you were having with it. It is a matter of preference of course but i have to say that my goodall can hang with guitars that are much more expensive and it is only a standard englemann spruce/east indian rosewood combo without exotic wood option upgrades.
Old 01-21-2018, 08:11 PM

Quote:
...great fingerstyle responsiveness and sustain, what would you suggest?

It doesn't have to be the above, feel free to list other manufacturers.
Yamamoto Talus. I recommend it only from personal experience.
Old 01-21-2018, 08:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I was actually looking at that exact model (om24sr), I like the fact it's all wood bindings. Unfortunately, Furch is very uncommon in the USA and would have to order it overseas without playing.

Is it true that the 20 series has a different sound than the 30 series?
Furch guitars, though not as ubiquitous as some of the big names, are distrusted by Stonebridge international through Canada and have a hub around the Chicago area. They have a number of dealers in the USA and you can see a complete inventory on their web site with videos of each guitar.

So no need to order it from overseas.
https://stonebridgeguitars.com

http://www.sgimusiccorp.com/product-...rby=menu_order
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 01-21-2018, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbroady View Post
Furch guitars, though not as ubiquitous as some of the big names, are distrusted by Stonebridge international through Canada and have a hub around the Chicago area. They have a number of dealers in the USA and you can see a complete inventory on their web site with videos of each guitar.

So no need to order it from overseas.
https://stonebridgeguitars.com

http://www.sgimusiccorp.com/product-...rby=menu_order
Yeah it seems they just changed their models within the past week as well. Check their website out.
Old 01-22-2018, 04:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yeah it seems they just changed their models within the past week as well. Check their website out.
It appears (though I can not say for sure) that many of the guitars have not changed just the labels. Kinda silly IMHO. But still the same guitars.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 01-22-2018, 07:44 AM

Wink

Quote:
Yes I agree Taylors have a modern sound, but to me they're shrill, tinny, thin sounding when compared to, for example, Furch.
I'll never understand comments like these. I have preferences but there isn't a known guitar manufacturer that I've played that sounded shrill or tinny. Do I prefer some over others---of course. But I've yet to hear one that I would say is bad.
Old 01-22-2018, 08:09 AM

If I wanted an OM and didn't necessarily want the Martin sound, I'd go with Collings for sure.
Old 01-22-2018, 11:35 AM

I play only fingerstyle and agree with the OP re the sound of Taylors in the past. I have not played them since Andy joined but have played many, many before. Modern sound is something that is not Martin or Gibson sounding but of the modern, I like what Ive heard of Furch the best. The thing about the one listed on Reverb is it has a skinny neck which doesnt work for me. I get my guitars made with a 1 13/16" nut.
Old 01-22-2018, 11:51 AM
Charter Member

I'm not sure what is meant by the "modern" sound, but as a fingerstyle player looking for good tone and sustain I have my eyes on the Furch G22CR-C, which might be the "Yellow Plus" model now. My second choice would be a Taylor 514 cedar over hog and my third choice would be a Taylor 314, but I really would like a cedar top. There's certain tunes I like to play that require good sustain as opposed to my usual bluesy stuff. My Larrivee just doesn't quite get me where I want to be in the "ring out" department, but it's still a keeper.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 01-22-2018, 12:11 PM

Modern sound nowadays comes from carbon fibre guitars.
Old 01-22-2018, 12:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin666 View Post
Modern sound nowadays comes from carbon fibre guitars.
Touche’. I love my Rainsong P-12. It’s my travel guitar and more.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion