The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-18-2018, 04:47 PM
Charter Member

I'll second Trutone for electrics. amps, and some acoustics. Believe it or not, the GC in Hollywood has a decent acoustic room. There's also LA Vintage in Van Nuys, and a cool store in Montrose (north Glendale) called Grayson's Tune Town. You could hit that easily if you're going to Pasadena.
Old 01-18-2018, 05:40 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Mighty Fine Guitars is wonderful and I just went there a couple of weeks ago. Check in advance about hours, etc on their website.
Schoenberg's is also great as is Gryphon's and Sylvan.

Enjoy your visit!
Jayne
Old 01-18-2018, 06:45 PM
Guest 1511

You've heard about the close ones to SF. There's also Guitar Showcase down in San Jose and Sylvan in Santa Cruz. Those two places are where I've bought all my guitars.
Old 01-18-2018, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperB23 View Post
A little more in the middle but Sylvan Music in Santa Cruz has a great stock of Santa Cruz and Goodall guitars. The Goodall instruments alone make it worth the stop.
This would be my top choice, with Schoenberg's a close second. Never been to LA Guitar Sales, but visit their website from time to time, and think it would be worth stopping in. Gryphon is also a great shop...bought a used Collings D2HG from them, and was pleased with the way things went.
Old 01-19-2018, 09:31 PM

WOW now I'm flooded with all your great suggestions... thanks folks! This must be a fruitful journey[emoji8]

Last edited by hillin; 01-20-2018 at 10:27 AM.
Old 01-19-2018, 09:43 PM

Let us know about the trip when you return back home!
Scott
Old 01-20-2018, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfa View Post
Will you have a car, or relying on public transit/Lyft?
I think I will have a car, at least for all these alluring guitar stores

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairpuller View Post
Let us know about the trip when you return back home!
Scott
Sure! Hope I can get one or two NGDs
Old 01-20-2018, 09:58 AM

Jealous! Wish I could ride shotgun with you! I get almost as much pleasure watching someone else satisfy their GAS as when I do...well, almost.

Scott
Old 01-20-2018, 10:27 AM

I've made a Google Map list and a spreadsheet containing all the suggestions in this thread. Hope this will be helpful for future tourist!
Old 01-20-2018, 10:41 AM
Charter Member

Schoenberg is known for vintage, but they actually have a very large selection of luthier-made guitars, small shop, and a good selection of high end Martins. It's my favorite shop in the SF Bay Area.

Gryphon is great as well. Guitar Showcase is awesome if you like electric guitars. Same thing with Gelb.

In LA, McCabe's is a must. Truetone Music in Santa Monica has a fantastic electric guitar and amp selection.
Old 01-20-2018, 10:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillin View Post
I've made a Google Map list and a spreadsheet containing all the suggestions in this thread. Hope this will be helpful for future tourist!
This is what you're looking for right here. Great list! I would add Gelb in the Bay Area.
Old 01-20-2018, 10:48 AM

Ventura Music in Studio City is interesting and fun. All used. Usually not much in the way of vintage acoustics, but I did get my wonderful 70's Ibanez dread there for next to nothing. Lots of "player" electric guitars and basses and oddball stuff. And almost next door to Fox and Hounds, second-best British Pub in LA.

Couch Standards
Old 01-20-2018, 11:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillin View Post
Thanks for the fine map.
I would add TrueTone and Westwood Music near McCabe's. And Hollywood GC 10 miles away. Also sometimes you can find really good deals in Craigslist LA if you want to cold call a private party?

LA is nice in the winter. Less tourists and slightly less traffic. You might want to coordinate your searches to the traffic patterns. The traffic can be agonizing at the wrong time of day. Also summer is not a great time to travel with a high end guitar locked in your car. I was born and raised in LA but at 19 had the good sense to leave. There are 8 million people there and another 7 in Orange County. It's a nice visit especially for instrument shopping. Acoustics and antique cars fare better in So Cal than in most parts of the country. Enjoy the hunt.
Old 01-20-2018, 11:52 AM

Steve Swan in Burlingame near the SF airport. He always has vintage Martins and Gibsons galore.
Old 01-20-2018, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairpuller View Post
I second that one! Super nice staff, too! Also, have some killer vintage Martins and nice Larrivees.

A bonus is you're close to Monterey and the beautiful central coast, so cruise down Hwy 1!!

Scott
Sadly, Hwy 1 is still closed due to the slides that buried a good part of the road. Can't get from Monterrey to SLO county on the 1.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion