The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 09-16-2017, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nama Ensou View Post
My 4s is still working everyday! Want to replace it soon, but you're still a year or two newer than my 3G CDMA dinosaurus!

Wow get out of the dark ages already. The 4S doesn't even support the last iOS update so most of the apps are not even compatible. You can get a 6 for rather cheap, or even a 5S would be a nice upgrade from the 4S.
Old 09-16-2017, 04:04 AM

I still see the old 5C's (the plastic ones) around. I had a white one, was the toughest phone ever.

I'm surprised the plastic wasn't more popular.

With the Apple leather case on my 6S, you can't see the phone anyhow.....

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 09-16-2017, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post
I still see the old 5C's (the plastic ones) around. I had a white one, was the toughest phone ever.

I'm surprised the plastic wasn't more popular.

With the Apple leather case on my 6S, you can't see the phone anyhow.....

5C's were not as popular because they were basically an iPhone 5 with a color case that came out at the same time as the 5S came out.
Old 09-16-2017, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
Wow get out of the dark ages already. The 4S doesn't even support the last iOS update so most of the apps are not even compatible. You can get a 6 for rather cheap, or even a 5S would be a nice upgrade from the 4S.
You say that as if there's any reason not to keep using a working product. Hope none of your guitars or mics are over 5 years old.

The 6 was just released when I chose my used 4s and I would like to have bought one if it weren't for the assumption by makers that iPads was what we wanted in our pockets. I'll eventually get an SE, which will allow me all the updates I care about, a 5s sized screen, but still in the 4s sized package.
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212
Old 09-16-2017, 12:46 PM

Quote:
You say that as if there's any reason not to keep using a working product. Hope none of your guitars or mics are over 5 years old.
Computer technology is not really at all comparable to guitars and mics. Even though that analogy doesn't work, you obviously have a point that there's no reason to not keep using something that works for you. But many will not be able to use an older phone if they use apps that stay up to date with the latest OS releases, and thus will eventually be unusable on an older phone that can't run a newer OS.

Quote:
The 6 was just released when I chose my used 4s and I would like to have bought one if it weren't for the assumption by makers that iPads was what we wanted in our pockets.
I don't follow... Are you trying to say that the 6 is too big? It's nowhere even near the size of an iPad, even an iPad Mini. You'd be surprised at how quickly you'd get used to it to the point that you won't notice the difference unless you go back to a 4s. And it's very noticeably thinner than the 4s, which actually makes it seem smaller overall (actually, in terms of cubic inches, it IS smaller). And it weighs less than the 4s too.

Last edited by jhmulkey; 09-16-2017 at 12:53 PM.
Old 09-16-2017, 01:13 PM

Quote:

The 6 was just released when I chose my used 4s and I would like to have bought one if it weren't for the assumption by makers that iPads was what we wanted in our pockets. I'll eventually get an SE, which will allow me all the updates I care about, a 5s sized screen, but still in the 4s sized package.

The iPhone 6 was released 3 years ago, the 4S was still an ok phone back then since it supported the iOS version of that time. You can't compare phones with something as crude as a guitar which has a potentiometer(s) as the most electrically complex component (if electric). Yes the 4S will work but it's extremely limited, if the app incompatibility doesn't phase you, then perhaps the possible lack of security patching should.
Old 09-16-2017, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhmulkey View Post
Computer technology is not really at all comparable to guitars and mics. Even though that analogy doesn't work, you obviously have a point that there's no reason to not keep using something that works for you. But many will not be able to use an older phone if they use apps that stay up to date with the latest OS releases, and thus will eventually be unusable on an older phone that can't run a newer OS.
I knew it was a poor analogy from a perspective of technological comparison, but being a musicians forum I chose it anyway.

My view has always been that most items are discarded before their usefulness has left them, and while I'd love to have a newer phone, it hasn't been enough of a priority to drive my replacing it yet.

The fact that until recently I still needed coverage in CDMA rich zones was actually the primary reason I didn't get an SE a couple years ago.

Quote:
Are you trying to say that the 6 is too big? It's nowhere even near the size of an iPad, even an iPad Mini. You'd be surprised at how quickly you'd get used to it to the point that you won't notice the difference unless you go back to a 4s. And it's very noticeably thinner than the 4s, which actually makes it seem smaller overall (actually, in terms of cubic inches, it IS smaller). And it weighs less than the 4s too.
It's called hyperbole, but it was still the reaction I had when I looked at the 6 and especially the 6plus. You don't know how badly I'd like to see a new, smaller iPhone, because the 4s is larger than I prefer.
What I'm really looking forward to is folding screen technology that will give me a back a package the size of my old cell phones which were a perfect hand fit, but still afford a larger screen when opened up.

Thickness of the 4s doesn't bother me but larger dimensions do and I want smaller with larger screen. I want my cake and eat it too.
Old 09-16-2017, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
The iPhone 6 was released 3 years ago, the 4S was still an ok phone back then since it supported the iOS version of that time. You can't compare phones with something as crude as a guitar which has a potentiometer(s) as the most electrically complex component (if electric). Yes the 4S will work but it's extremely limited, if the app incompatibility doesn't phase you, then perhaps the possible lack of security patching should.
I know exactly when the 6 was released because I was considering one at the time they came out. If they'd offered the SE at the same time, that's what I would have bought.

Kind of ridiculous really for you guys to think that you should be able to make your own choices without having to get called out on them, but don't like others to do things that don't fit your own personal rationale. It seems I may be one of the few independent thinkers here?
Old 09-16-2017, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Kind of ridiculous really for you guys to think that you should be able to make your own choices without having to get called out on them, but don't like others to do things that don't fit your own personal rationale. It seems I may be one of the few independent thinkers here?
I hope you aren't including me in "you guys," because I'm not calling you out on your choice. I was just trying to put the size comparison in perspective, and I agreed with you that if the 4s works for you, there's no reason to change

Last edited by jhmulkey; 09-16-2017 at 04:45 PM.
Old 09-16-2017, 05:07 PM

In my continuing effort to over-think this size issue, I cut several different phantom iPhones out of 1/4" plywood and have been carrying them around just to see what works with my normal clothing. The only way I could accommodate a Plus would be if I adopted Cargo or Kuhl-style pants full time. I think that would be socially unacceptable. An X goes in regular pants but not jeans. The only thing that fits in jeans is an SE. I'm warming to that idea.

The new SE runs OS11 and has a 12MP camera. Except for the slower A9 processor, I can't really tell what features are missing when compared to an 8 or 8Plus. If anyone has any insight on that, I'd love to hear it.

Last edited by AX17609; 09-16-2017 at 06:04 PM.
Old 09-16-2017, 08:20 PM

Default New iPhone questions

I'm afraid I won't be of much help. I have a 6 and don't have great battery life, but I'm not wasting anymore money on phones than I have to.

The fact that carriers are now forcing me to finance a phone is just ridiculous, and phones are getting so expensive they are forcing the issue. It's like the incredible increase in car prices.

So I plan to use my phone until I can't charge it period. My wife used an iPhone 4 and just paid for a 6s last year. We paid $700 for the phone and if you think about what you are paying with the financing plan over 5-10 years, it's sickening.

No more for me. I'll use it until I can't:

Oh and I'm so freakin deep in the Apple ecosystem that the thought of changing to Android is mind boggling. Add to that the loss of a headphone jack and I'm content with what I have.

Last edited by Shades of Blue; 09-16-2017 at 08:34 PM.
Old 09-16-2017, 11:33 PM

Quote:
I hope you aren't including me in "you guys," because I'm not calling you out on your choice. I was just trying to put the size comparison in perspective, and I agreed with you that if the 4s works for you, there's no reason to change

lol it's just me. I agree that this issue is 100% subjective. To me a phone is useless if it can't run the latest version of the apps I use. I do tend to use my stuff until it doesn't work anymore. I still have an iPad 2 that I discontinued using even though it still "works" because it can't run the apps I use. I finally upgraded to an iPad Pro last year.
Old 09-17-2017, 02:41 AM

Quote:
LoL, naw, that just referred to the ones who think that we need to change our phones when the manufacturer decides we need a new one.
Old 09-17-2017, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX17609 View Post
In my continuing effort to over-think this size issue, I cut several different phantom iPhones out of 1/4" plywood and have been carrying them around just to see what works with my normal clothing.

The new SE runs OS11 and has a 12MP camera. Except for the slower A9 processor, I can't really tell what features are missing when compared to an 8 or 8Plus. If anyone has any insight on that, I'd love to hear it.
One missing feature is the size. I was close to getting a 5s a couple years ago and of course I could adapt to it, but I like the 5s sized screen coupled with the 4s sized body and will be going with an SE. I like your plywood test 'phone' idea!
Old 09-17-2017, 04:32 AM

I just paid about $600 for a new desktop, because I like them and needed one.

It won't do as much as an iPhone, isn't cellular, and won't fit in my pocket.

Good phones are getting expensive.

They always have.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic