The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 02-08-2019, 10:22 AM

Default Need some advice on selecting a new guitar

Hello all, first post here. I'm just looking to get some people's opinions on crossovers. When I first got into guitar almost 20 years ago I started on a cheap Kent 6 string with terrible action that I got from my uncle. My parents then bought me an old Alvarez 12 string which was my first real guitar. Flash forward 5 years later and I had switched entirely to classical studies and purchased an Alvarez mc90. I've tried several steel strings and I just can't seem to find one that I like (all of the guitars I've played have had fat necks so it's what I'm used to). I keep seeing these crossovers marketed toward steel players looking to get into nylon but I was wondering if the reverse is true, if it would be something that would be of benefit to me. No shops near me carry anything of the sort so I'm curious if anyone has experience with any of them. My budget is between 2-3k I've been eyeing up Taylor's nylons because they're probably the most comfortable steel string guitars I've ever played. I'm just interested in a more modern sound and not to carry a foot stool everywhere. Thanks to anyone that made it through all of that.
Old 02-08-2019, 11:26 AM

The big question is "what kind of sound are you looking for out of your guitar"?

Are you interested in a more classical sounding guitar or are you looking for something that closely resembles steel string?

My humble opinion is that the Taylor's are way overbuilt for use as a classical guitar. It's almost like they simply swapped out the bridges on their steel string guitars and slapped on nylons.

Yamaha & Breedlove crossover's are good if you only plan to amplify them. I think they sound dead when played acoustically. At least those that I've tried out over the years have had that characteristic.

The Yamaha & Takamine strictly classical's get good reviews as mostly starter classical guitars & they're built like tanks.

I'm admittedly a Cordoba Fan boy. I highly suggest you look into either their Fusion line-up or the Cordoba C9 or C10 if you are interested in a more classical sounding guitar. FWIW- The only difference between the C9 and the C10 is the type of wood used on the sides and backs.

Dave
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 02-08-2019, 11:43 AM

Thanks for the input, yeah I'm looking for something close to a steel string that's not a steel string regardless of how stupid that sounds. Amplified is important but I'm mostly concerned with the acoustic voicing and comfort. I want something I can play in a jam but also sit back on my porch or couch and enjoy.
Old 02-08-2019, 05:32 PM

Good input from dkscott. Last summer I made the move to nylon strings after many, many years of steel strings (Martin and Larrivee). My motivation was different than yours, since age pushed me to find something gentler on my fingers.

After much research I bought a Cordoba Orchestra CE, a Fusion series guitar with a 12 fret neck, 1 7/8" nut and solid cedar top and laminated rosewood B&S. I had a more limited budget than yours. Nevertheless I am completely happy with this guitar after 6+ months of playing. I get a lot of the satisfaction from this crossover that I get from my steel strings, and while a bit of technique changes, it can handle most of the "repertoire" I enjoy playing. So, maybe a nylon string crossover will move you closer to the steel string like experience you want.

FWIW, if I was looking more to the $$$ range you are, along with the Cordobas dkscott mentioned I would take a serious look at the Kenny Hill New World Player P640FIN-C Fingerstyle Cedar. Kenny Hill has a well deserved reputation for his designs and in fact worked with Cordoba to develop their Fusion series. Here's one link to a Hill crossover...
https://allstringsnylon.com/kenny-hi...p640fin-c-1236

Happy hunting...

1972 Martin D35-S
2007 Larrivee LV 05e
2017 Cordoba Fusion Orchestra CE
2021 Alvarez AP66ESHB Parlor
2020 Fender Special Custom Telecaster FMT
2011 Custom built Vintage “Strat”
198? Electra X930 Vulcan
Old 02-08-2019, 06:46 PM

I have the Córdoba Fusion Orchestra Pro SP/IN. The SP/IN means it is Spruce top over Indian Rosewood, and linked below is a sound sample. The guitar has an onboard pickup, but I'm not using it here. I'm using the iRig acoustic you see clipped to the soundhole. The only thing I've done to modify the original signal is add a bit of Reverb after the fact.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKkpQOWpoeU

Hope that helps in your search
Gary
Old 02-09-2019, 06:06 AM

I am having a hard time following your logic on this. No disrespect to you but I am confused by your question.

Most people get a crossover because they are coming from steel string and can't manage a 52mm wide "FLAT" fretboard. The narrower nut width and radius fretboard is what makes a crossover a crossover. Take the Cordoba C10 and C10 crossover, the only difference is the neck.

I guess if you are looking at modern sound in the 2-3K price range the Taylor line would be one to consider.
Old 02-09-2019, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gcunplugged View Post
I have the Córdoba Fusion Orchestra Pro SP/IN. The SP/IN means it is Spruce top over Indian Rosewood, and linked below is a sound sample. The guitar has an onboard pickup, but I'm not using it here. I'm using the iRig acoustic you see clipped to the soundhole. The only thing I've done to modify the original signal is add a bit of Reverb after the fact.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKkpQOWpoeU

Hope that helps in your search
Gary
What do you think of that iRig PU? I’m playing one of the Córdoba “mini” models, and the built-in pickup is.... Unusable.
Old 02-09-2019, 09:08 AM

I think it's more of a poor question rather than poor wording and I apologize for that. I'm really just trying to see if anyone out there has had a problem similar to mine trying to transition to a steel string from a traditional classical guitar. I was curious if the crossovers offered anything as sort of a middle ground as far as tone and playability is concerned, and if there were models others would recommend. I only mentioned the Taylors because I see they make essentially a nylon guitar on a steel string body.
Old 02-09-2019, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adampomp View Post
I think it's more of a poor question rather than poor wording and I apologize for that. I'm really just trying to see if anyone out there has had a problem similar to mine trying to transition to a steel string from a traditional classical guitar. I was curious if the crossovers offered anything as sort of a middle ground as far as tone and playability is concerned, and if there were models others would recommend. I only mentioned the Taylors because I see they make essentially a nylon guitar on a steel string body.
I understand now, thanks for the clarification. The Cordoba crossovers are an excellent instrument with nice sound. The nut width of (48mm) and radius fretboard might nust help in your transistion. With your budget could go to a Kenny Hill.

Some steel string acoustics have a 1-13/16, Eastman parlor and 00 size 12 fret which is similar in size to a classical guitar size. If your goal is to play steel string that would be a good transitional instrument
Old 02-09-2019, 10:37 AM

We picked up an Eastman mandolin for my girlfriend a year or two back from the mandolin store and I was astonished at the quality of the instrument for what she paid for it. Anyone know if any online retailers that carry them? Preferably one that will do a setup.
Old 02-09-2019, 04:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adampomp View Post
I'm going to sound like I am plugging one of my own choices, but I recently picked up a Taylor 514ce with Cedar top and Mahogany back and sides, I think this wood combination is nicely suited for finger style and classical style of playing.
Down up Dave make a great point about a 12 fret guitar-
Recently, I have been checking out the Taylor 12 frets as well and they are super soft and comfortable to play. Definitely worth looking at I think.
Taylor doesn't have the small maker charm, but they do make a really nice sounding instrument, and add to that the V-class bracing improvements on intonation and they are kind of tough to beat.
Old 02-09-2019, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikewer View Post
What do you think of that iRig PU? I’m playing one of the Córdoba “mini” models, and the built-in pickup is.... Unusable.
I like the iRig for recording, but not sure I would use it for gigging. The iRig Acoustic I have plugs directly to the Lightning connector on the iPad/iPhone so connecting to an amp would be interesting.

For recording, it gives you a simple setup where your audio and video are captured together, so no syncing issues.

My only other comment is the wire on the iRig seems flimsy, but is holding up so far.

Hope that helps,
Gary
Old 02-10-2019, 04:59 PM

It sounds like you are a classical player who doesn't particularly like steel strings. Nothing wrong with that. I owned a custom Taylor NS62 (cocobolo back and sides) for many years, but never really bonded with the playability or tone. Always seemed over built and over braced. Also, the 1 7/8" nut was, in my opinion, too narrow for nylon strings, as I was always bending the E string off the fingerboard. I sold it about a year and a half ago to partially finance my OM18 Authentic. Recently I purchased a Cervantes Signature Rodriguez (interestingly also in cocobolo and spruce) which, despite the 52 mm nut is much easier to play than the Taylor ever was.

Martin OM-28 Authentic 1931
Taylor Cocobolo GCce 2008 Fall Limited Edition
Paragon Cocobolo/cedar GOM
Cervantes Signature Rodriguez
Eastman Cabaret JB
Tacoma JM1612C
Old 02-10-2019, 05:18 PM
Musical minimalist

Take a look at a spruce topped Cervantes Crossover - very nice guitars.

Old 02-10-2019, 11:48 PM

I think I understand what you are asking. I started out on classical and have always struggled with narrow necks and fretboards with a steep radius. Three things come to mind....

—those crossovers that others have mentioned which have a slightly narrower nut and slight radius but still nylon.

—Thomastik makes rope core strings which change the sound and character of a regular classical guitar.

—And also, do you see that Larrivée listed in my signature? It is a specialty fingerstyle guitar with a 1 13/16” nut, 2 5/16” saddle, 24.75” scale, compound radius (about as flat as you will find on a steel string acoustic), and a body size that is only slightly bigger than my Ramirez. It is the only acoustic that has ever been really comfortable to play for me.
1986 Charvel Model 3A electric

2001 Fender Jazz standard bass
1935 A-00 Gibson mandolin
1815 JG Hamm violin
Kelii soprano ukulele

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical