The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-22-2018, 06:13 PM

I would like to say Musician's Friend sounds like Sweetwater and Amazon with their policies. I ordered a bunch of small items, and when the box arrived there were some drumsticks in the box (I don't play or have drums) and I was missing a couple items I had ordered. I called their customer service, and they told me to keep the drumsticks (probably would have cost more to ship them back than they were worth, but still...) and they sent me the items I was missing. They have my business for accessories I can't buy locally in the future - they made me happy, and I reward good customer service.
Old 01-22-2018, 06:16 PM

If it's something important you should specify "signature required". As a side note my last two bigger ticket Fed-Ex deliveries I didn't specify because I knew I was going to be home. The first on of those I didn't find until I checked Fed-Ex tracking and noticed they left it in a machine shed closer to the road. Sure enough, it was there. Luckily it wasn't temperature sensitive as it was in the sub-freezing temperature overnight.

The last thing was a new bass amp delivered by Fed-Ex from Sweetwater. It arrived sometime fairly early in the morning and was left smack dab in the middle of the garage door outside. Luckily my wife hadn't left yet, as she would most likely never noticed it when she backed the SUV out of the garage. I noticed the box when I went out to get the morning paper before she left.

It's kind of like the driver was looking for the worst possible spot to leave it.

I would note that my Sweetwater rep ALWAYS asks if I want to add "signature required" service to my order. We're VERY rural, so as long as I've got order tracking I'm OK with taking a chance. The amp left in front of the garage door was something I wasn't expecting, though.

Last edited by Rudy4; 01-22-2018 at 06:29 PM.
Old 01-22-2018, 06:17 PM

I had fefex deliver a guitar to me with the head stock broke off and another at the wrong address.
seagull mjm6
alvarez mfa66CE
recording king ro-310
Taylor 312ce IBANEZ AF95FM
Old 01-22-2018, 06:21 PM

They delivered my HD28 4 doors down. Computer said Delivered. Saw it on my neighbors porch. Walked over and carried the big freaking box home.
Old 01-22-2018, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahorsewithnonam View Post
So, if it was a $3,000 Martin, GC should just say....no problem, we will refund your money?

If some of you guys owned a business you wouldn’t be in business long with that policy. And if word got out people would be ordering guitars left and right and saying they never got them. Please refund my money.

I think the answer is maybe... Let's say it's a customer that buys 6-10 fairly high end guitars a year and with other purchases spends $80,000-$100,000 a year at your store. Then I think you it would behoove GC to treat that customer like a VIP even if it was a $3000 guitar at play in a situation like this.

I think great customer services goes beyond blanket policies that turn everything into black and white issues. Great customer service shows consideration for the loyalty of the customer, the amount of money the customer has spent in the past and how much of a loss the store would take (nominal in this case) in order to take care of the customer and make them happy.

J-45 song of the day archive
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis..._Zmxz51NAwG1UJ

My music
https://soundcloud.com/waynedeats76
https://www.facebook.com/waynedeatsmusic

My guitars
Gibson, Martin, Blueridge, Alvarez, Takamine
Old 01-22-2018, 07:27 PM

I should have added to my earlier post that FedEx is ultimately responsible. They have to resolve the complaint one way or another. I would keep calling customer service until you get results. They can also see (like UPS) where the scan gun was located when the driver delivered the package.
Old 01-22-2018, 07:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyMikey View Post
Sorry for the rant, but I need to vent because my head is about to explode over the sheer stupidity of this.

I recently spent close to $3K on new guitar and other gear, and planned to spend more this Spring. Much more spent in the past. On Jan 1st I placed a little $50 online order for some humidification products, and had it 2-day express shipped to my house. It was due on Jan 3rd but never showed up, and I’ve been fighting with GC for a refund ever since.

FedEx claims that it was delivered to my “garage.” I explained to 5 different FedEx customer service reps that since I DON’T HAVE A GARAGE the package was obviously delivered to the wrong address. I also looked everywhere for it. However, their driver claims he delivered it to the correct address so they closed the case. I’ve had 100% successful FedEX deliveries before AND after this event, so it’s clear the driver was mistaken or lied.

After explaining this to GC multiple times they insist that they can’t refund without FedEx approval. I paid through Paypal so opened a dispute, but with FedEx claiming it was “delivered” who knows. The weeks go by and GC still won’t refund a lousy $50 order. Stupid.

They just lost me as a customer, and about the only thing I can do is tell other guitarists about their fantastic customer service. End of rant.
Sounds like you beef is with FedEx, not GC.
Old 01-22-2018, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahorsewithnonam View Post
So, if it was a $3,000 Martin, GC should just say....no problem, we will refund your money?
It's GC's problem to find the guitar, not the customer's. If GC can't locate it, working with its contractor, FedEx, you bet your behind it should refund the money.

Quote:
If some of you guys owned a business you wouldn’t be in business long with that policy.
The entire Internet economy for goods depends on a seamless transaction for the consumer, meaning that the goods arrive. If Amazon took your position, they wouldn't be in business long with that policy.
Old 01-22-2018, 08:56 PM

I had a similar issue with Sweetwater. $1800 keyboard was delivered according to FedEx. Three days of back and forth with Sweetwater. After a manager told me I would have to provide proof that I had not received it(wait. what?), I told credit card company I would not pay this amount on my card as I had not received the goods.

Two days after that the keyboard arrived, followed by two phone calls from Sweetwater, one telling me 20% off for my trouble followed by one asking me if they could consider the matter resolved.

I don't use paypal, so I don't know if they will back you up.

rct
Old 01-22-2018, 09:37 PM

Default Fed Ex or GC?

While the blame for the mishap is undeniably fed Ex's, GC also shares some culpability. They were the ones who chose Fed Ex. You did not receive the item they sent. At the least, they should go to bat for you against Fed Ex.

I'd make sure corporate headquarters gets a look at this exchange. It's not only cost them your business, but it's making the rest of us fearful about ordering from GC. I once had a somewhat similar problem with my very elderly mother's TV provider. I got nowhere with them, then started posting everywhere I could find. Many folks responded saying they would not use that provider in the future. It was only a few days before they called, wanting to make things right.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:10 PM
Charter Member

I just posted this in the D'Addario thread and realized it really belongs here.
Years ago when I worked in a direct marketing company the CEO constantly drilled into everyone's heads that it is 10 times harder to acquire a new good customer than it is to retain one, so do everything in your power to retain your customers. Over the years I've heard the same thing from other very successful sales people and execs who see themselves first and foremost as customer advocates.
I won't pretend to understand either company's business model or values but I've always found that the penny wise, pound foolish strategy never leads anywhere but down.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:33 PM

I have a motion activated video camera that stores the recorded video on the cloud. All time stamped and certifiable. While I never thought of it as a way to verify delivery, it now seems like a good idea. Mostly, I bought it to catch porch pirates but I now have a new use for it. HD images, very, very clear and crisp.

Total cost is <$200 + $35 a year for the cloud service.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguy View Post
Man - this is a scary thread. Imagine if this had been a $3000 guitar?! Yikes!!
That's why it must be signed for at delivery!
Old 01-22-2018, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguy View Post
Man - this is a scary thread. Imagine if this had been a $3000 guitar?! Yikes!!
Bingo! I would have freaked the hell out.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:58 PM
Charter Member

Default GC?

To 'Heymikey':
I cannot fathom how you can blame GC!
Clearly, this is the fault of Fedex. NO QUESTION!
Why in the world would GC be liable? Your reasoning is severely flawed.

To make an accusation on a public forum about a retailer is loathsome at best.
I suggest you apologize to GC.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion