The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-22-2018, 12:35 PM

Carbon and formica are certainly a different sound than traditional sounds but each person will have to determine if it is a sound they want.
Old 01-22-2018, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazyliszek View Post
Those looks like some wonderful guitars. Even a used Lowden tends to be above my price range, at least the F sizes.
Or take a look at Avalon - it's a Lowden by any other name. There's actually a rather nice one on the for sale section
Old 01-22-2018, 02:16 PM

Quote:
I currently have a Breedlove that I enjoy playing modern fingerstyle tunes on.

Santa Cruz, Collings, Goodall, and Furch OM/GC's have my attention, but have read the Santa Cruz and Collings having a more traditional voice.

If I were looking for a modern-voiced brand with great fingerstyle responsiveness and sustain, what would you suggest?

It doesn't have to be the above, feel free to list other manufacturers.
Furch offer a vintage series and a millenium series. The vintage series have a more traditional tone while the millenium series have the more modern voicing that you are looking for.

The cedar/rosewood grand auditorium millenium models are particularly well regarded although I believe furch prices are set to go up in the near future.

1934 Gibson Kalamazoo KG11

www.reverbnation.com/jamesascott
Old 01-22-2018, 04:47 PM

Quote:
I'm looking at 2.5k USD or under mainly. I don't think a custom new luthier-build would fall within that unfortunately.
I would suggest that you contact Ed Bond at Halcyon Guitars (halcyonguitars.com). Ed and RJ build excellent guitars and can certainly come in at or under your budget (his base price is C$1599 - he offers upgrades that would add to that). I believe that his 000, NL-00, or OM models might be excellent choices for fingerstyle.

They are sponsors here, and I'm a very satisfied customer, as are many others on AGF. Do a little searching on the forum.

You just need to be a little patient (likely around 12 months worth of patient).
Old 01-22-2018, 07:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax238 View Post
I would suggest that you contact Ed Bond at Halcyon Guitars (halcyonguitars.com). Ed and RJ build excellent guitars and can certainly come in at or under your budget (his base price is C$1599 - he offers upgrades that would add to that). I believe that his 000, NL-00, or OM models might be excellent choices for fingerstyle.

They are sponsors here, and I'm a very satisfied customer, as are many others on AGF. Do a little searching on the forum.

You just need to be a little patient (likely around 12 months worth of patient).
That's a great suggestions. I second this too!
Old 01-22-2018, 08:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
Or take a look at Avalon - it's a Lowden by any other name. There's actually a rather nice one on the for sale section
I have been tempted by that Avalon in the for sale section. I'm surprised no one has "taken it home yet. Looks like a sweet guitar and the price is right. if I did not already have a guitar incoming............
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 01-22-2018, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbroady View Post
I have been tempted by that Avalon in the for sale section. I'm surprised no one has "taken it home yet. Looks like a sweet guitar and the price is right. if I did not already have a guitar incoming............
I know this sounds like a bad reason, but I'm not a fan of cutaways, which that Avalon has :/

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion