The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 09-13-2017, 08:46 AM

What is the most economical way to purchase one of these new phones? I have an old iPhone 5 on it's last legs so probably go for with one of the new 8 models. The X doesn't seem worth the $200 premium to me.

I'm with AT&T and can purchase outright. Go straight to the Apple Store, AT&T store? Pay in one chunk, payment play?

What has everyone found to be the best approach. The payment plans seem to be a wash with outright purchase given the inclusion of the protection plan. Unless there is a consensus of a better approach, I'll probably go to the Apple Store and do a straight purchase.

Thanks for the input.

Blues

EDIT: Third alternative is to purchase phone on say AT&T's upgrade plan (or whatever they call it) and get a new phone every other year. How do the economics of that option work out? Hate the idea of a perpetual hardware payment. I got 5 years out of my 5 with a free battery exchange from Apple after 2 years but have been fighting battery issues the last 12 months as well as memory constraints (16GB) for the last couple of years. No real operational integrity issues however.

Last edited by 01bluemiata; 09-13-2017 at 09:03 AM.
Old 09-13-2017, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01bluemiata View Post
What is the most economical way to purchase one of these new phones? I have an old iPhone 5 on it's last legs so probably go for with one of the new 8 models. The X doesn't seem worth the $200 premium to me.

I'm with AT&T and can purchase outright. Go straight to the Apple Store, AT&T store? Pay in one chunk, payment play?

What has everyone found to be the best approach. The payment plans seem to be a wash with outright purchase given the inclusion of the protection plan. Unless there is a consensus of a better approach, I'll probably go to the Apple Store and do a straight purchase.

Thanks for the input.

Blues
For our family or work I've found just buy outright including used phones is best but one is on the business team lease Apple stores have.

Consider this: There are always desperate sellers showing up on Craigslist. I meet them or tell associates to meet them at the official stores. Then you have security and you'll know it's a good phone when activated. A few times I've stood under the Verizon store security camera, had a few months old iPhone activated, then handed cash to the seller.
Old 09-13-2017, 02:15 PM

I do have an issue paying $1k+ on a new phone. Yes I understand they're miniaturized computers with multi core processors, but that's a big jump in price for something that will be considered obsolete around this time next year when the new iPhone comes out.

$1200 buys me:
MacBook Pro
Microsoft Surface
iPad Pro
Entry level iMac
American standard Fender
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Taylor 200 series
Or...a phone that will be the best and greatest until the competition comes up with something better a few months later.

I think I'll buy me a 7 plus to upgrade my now two year old 6S. I always go for the "S" phone because usually the kinks are sorted out by then when Apple comes out with a new iPhone.

Last edited by Kerbie; 09-14-2017 at 04:50 AM. Reason: Removed masked profanity
Old 09-13-2017, 02:28 PM

I'm taking my 5s and hiding in Obsolescenseville.
Old 09-13-2017, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M19 View Post
Only issue is bending over too far, and "plonk," it hits the floor.
Beats "splash" ...
Old 09-13-2017, 03:03 PM

Who spends a grand or more on a phone? Probably those who have to be “bleeding edge” to impress their friends or co-workers, are tech-comfy enough to easily learn new gestures, and either have that much $ burning a hole in their pockets or a deep-pocketed employer willing to buy it for them. Me, I’m not gonna blow $1K to essentially be an unpaid Beta tester for bragging rights. I’ve learned not to buy the first iteration of a product or upgrade to the first version of a new OS until a few bug-fix updates have been released. “Early adoption” is laudable for starting or expanding a family—not for tech.

My 5S had been relegated to use as an iPod, but suddenly it stopped recognizing both its and my iCloud passwords. Called Apple and they said I had to produce proof of ownership, such as a purchase receipt. Had bought it at Best Buy in 2011 (who saves receipts that long, especially when two newer iPhones found their way into my purse over the years?), but they told me that they remove purchase history from their computer systems after two years. So it’s a lovely paperweight that perhaps I can donate to a shelter that jailbreaks old phones for emergency use.

Tried my nail tech’s 6+ today—though I can’t really work it with one hand unless I use the little knob she installed on the back of the case, the fonts are a bit bigger; and so the 8+ will be a good fit for our aging eyes (lens implants notwithstanding). Told Bob to go hang out at a Best Buy or phone store and see if a 7+ fits into his pocket. If not, I'll order us a pair of 8s (or an 8+ for me for the better photo capability). Then when they arrive, we’ll head to the Apple Store to set them up and get pointers on the new features.

The more vexing upgrade path for me will be from this mid-2014 15” MacBookPro I’m using that came off AppleCare a week before my cat knocked it off a table and part of its screen got obscured. (The “Genius” told me a screen repair would cost $500, and his own MBPro has exactly the same problem and he’s not repairing or replacing it). The last Apple laptop to have USB ports is the 2015 version of my MBPro—about to be a “legacy” item. All the others have only USB-C. Because I don’t want to fart around with hubs & dongles, want to be able to keep it plugged in while using a peripheral, and don’t want to have to depend on wi-fi or the cloud, I need to buy one with at least 2 USB-C ports. My 2013 11” MBAir (128GB) is my travel computer—it’s in great shape but too small to use as my main machine, so I’m not replacing it till it croaks.

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.
Old 09-14-2017, 04:45 AM

My 6S goes 2 days without a charge all of the time. I had no idea they had a battery problem.

Must have been resolved by the time mine was built.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 09-14-2017, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Sandy View Post
Who spends a grand or more on a phone? Probably those who have to be “bleeding edge” to impress their friends or co-workers, are tech-comfy enough to easily learn new gestures, and either have that much $ burning a hole in their pockets or a deep-pocketed employer willing to buy it for them.
A 256GB 8Plus is $949. So, $999 for an 8X is hardly a huge upgrade. They'll sell a zillion of them.
Old 09-14-2017, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX17609 View Post
A 256GB 8Plus is $949. So, $999 for an 8X is hardly a huge upgrade. They'll sell a zillion of them.
Yes, I agree and don't expect the owners to be beta testers the way some think. AAA via face isn't new. Microsoft has already polished it well. I've been deploying Surface tablets since the beginning and think my users have been using it reliably since 2015.

I'm surprised a few I know already saying they'll go for the X to have the smaller physical profile or size for the amount of screen real estate.

Some of the criticism for X or other models is silly. Sure there's always people with new toy or gottahaveit syndrome but the smart phones are also tools for a whole lot of people these days. The large screen models are liberation and relief for many whether it's the screen size or battery life.

If I see any interesting trend it's people wanting smaller laptops as big screen phones have become so average. I get it. I have the top tier 15" MacBook Pro and the skinny 12" MacBook. I rarely use the big one.

Now, with all this rather mature I wonder what new or interesting application software updates we'll see. The games do not interest me the way productivity and communication software does.
Old 09-14-2017, 06:46 AM

I just went from a 6 to a 7 Plus and the size is easily adaptable. I can't imagine going back to a standard. I did have an HTC Android in the past so it's a familiar footprint. I'm not a huge fan of the lack of a headphone jack though.

1998 Very Sweet Wife
2000 Cute Daughter (Grand Concert)
2005 Handsome Son (Dreadnought)
2007 Lovely Daughter (Parlor)
2017 Cute Puppy (Duke the Uke)
Old 09-14-2017, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt McGriff View Post
I just went from a 6 to a 7 Plus and the size is easily adaptable. I can't imagine going back to a standard. I did have an HTC Android in the past so it's a familiar footprint. I'm not a huge fan of the lack of a headphone jack though.
Matt -- Where do you carry it?

I bought my wife a 7 Plus last year, and I've been quietly observing how she uses it. I've noticed that she rarely has it on her. It's always lying around somewhere. In fact, we've had several "where the heck is my phone" moments that send everyone into a panic while we search high and low for the misplaced device.

Personally, were I going to upgrade, I'd probably go for the X. I can't imagine how I'd carry a Plus around. It's just seems too big. I don't wear a suit jacket or sport coat around anymore, and you can't stuff a Plus into jeans. Seems like I'd have to have a whole wardrobe of cargo pants.

The X gives you the same larger screen size as a Plus in nearly the same total size as a 7 or 8. That feature alone would sell it for me.
Old 09-14-2017, 07:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephW View Post
I'm taking my 5s and hiding in Obsolescenseville.
See you there! I have to chuckle with the "obsolete" comments - the phone still does all it did prior to the new models being released.

Everybody sing: "Wasting away again in Obsolencenseville..."
Old 09-14-2017, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
Some of the criticism for X or other models is silly.
Boy is that an understatement. There is an entire culture of naysayers among social media sites that just wait for Apple to make a new release so they can chime in to trash the product, company, and users. I've never understood why people who hate a company so much spend so much time talking about it.

Last edited by jhmulkey; 09-14-2017 at 08:29 AM.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:11 AM

I'm smiling. After eating my words on large screen phone I ate them on smart watch and the Apple wireless ear pods.

The modern way of solving "where's my phone" is have your wristwatch call it.

Even without AirPods no one in our family was harmed by the lack of headphone jack. AirPods took a day to go from "why did I do that" to complete love and amazement. I know why they were or might still be in perpetual back order.

The AirPods might be like the rest of this - your work or lifestyle determines if they're tool or toy. I'm both a podcast addict and a key person in keeping an enterprise with 750 employees running around the clock. The AirPods are superb for calls, conferencing, training and staff support.

P.S. Clothing has accommodated larger phones. Dress clothing or suits accommodate them. My other uniform is based on Kuhl brand pants in two fabric weights. They all have a phone pocket. Better yet they make them for slim and whatever the PC or kind description is for not so slim.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
My other uniform is based on Kuhl brand pants in two fabric weights. They all have a phone pocket. Better yet they make them for slim and whatever the PC or kind description is for not so slim.
That's a great recommendations...thanks!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic