The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-28-2015, 11:00 AM

Default EHX Soul Food OD Pedal (electric guitar)

Has anyone tried the Electro-Harmonix "Soul Food" OD pedal? It came out just over a year ago. I had never heard of it before yesterday when my buddy demoed it at the guitar store. It was amazing with a Les Paul and the Marshall Class 5.

Anyone have any experience with it?
Old 02-28-2015, 01:21 PM
Charter Member

Dru;

I read a brief review of this pedal, over a year ago, and immediately wanted to get one, even though I like my TS...

If it truly sounds anything like a Klon Centaur, then it's absolutely worth having! At the time of that review, the fellow said you could get them for ~$60 w. ac adaptor, but I never found them for so little, more like $70 or $80...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 02-28-2015, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
Dru;

I read a brief review of this pedal, over a year ago, and immediately wanted to get one, even though I like my TS...

If it truly sounds anything like a Klon Centaur, then it's absolutely worth having! At the time of that review, the fellow said you could get them for ~$60 w. ac adaptor, but I never found them for so little, more like $70 or $80...
Here in Canada I paid $79 (price just went up due to the exchange rate). In the US it looks like it is about $10 cheaper at places like MF.

I liked it enough that I bought it. I also have a TS9 on my pedal board as well. You can never have too my OD pedals
Old 02-28-2015, 06:37 PM

I have a friend who purchased a Soul a while back. He proclaims that it trounces his Timmy (read me- Timmy fan- skeptical here...) by virtue of its higher gain.

He definitely feels it was a value. He's wanted a Klon since seeing Beck using one.

If indeed it's a clone of the Klon, being a builder it irks me a bit. But I guess Bill has moved on from the Klon, so it's no skin off my nose.
Old 03-04-2015, 07:07 AM

I have one, and I bought it for $68-ish at GC. That pedal is super smooth. It does not "bite" in way many modern OD pedals do, but it does have great gain levels. I originally bought it to use with my acoustic through a Super, but have since used it at times with my SG with great results.

I also have a Boss SD-1, and I like to switch these pedals on my board sometimes. These pedals have a very different feeling, and both are well worth trying out with your own rig.
1966 Fender Super Reverb
VVT Nighthawk

"Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile." - Jerry Garcia
Old 03-04-2015, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupremeDalek View Post
I have one, and I bought it for $68-ish at GC. That pedal is super smooth. It does not "bite" in way many modern OD pedals do, but it does have great gain levels. I originally bought it to use with my acoustic through a Super, but have since used it at times with my SG with great results.

I also have a Boss SD-1, and I like to switch these pedals on my board sometimes. These pedals have a very different feeling, and both are well worth trying out with your own rig.
I can say the same thing about my Tubescreamer (TS9) and the Soul Food. Although they're both OD pedals they have different circuits and different "feelings". I've only had the Soul Food for a few days but it's a keeper.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars