The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-14-2015, 09:56 PM

Default Help Me With Tele Bridge Replacement....From 3 to 6 Saddle

Recently, I bought a 2014 MIM FSR Tele , and I want to replace the three-saddle bridge assembly to a tray with six individual saddles.

In your opinion, what is the best value for the money? I really want a drop-in replacement so that I don't have to drill new holes in the top, too.

Is it necessary to spend around $100 to get a good bridge, or have you been pleased with the Fender/Allparts variety for $39????
Old 02-14-2015, 11:43 PM

Don't have a Tele, but I give the Fender/Allparts a try. If its genuine Fender it'll be a direct fit, and Allparts has a good reputation for quality direct fit replacement parts.

If I bought a Tele I'd want the 6 saddle bridge- don't think you can intonate correctly with only 3, even though they are milled a bit to compensate for the strings.
Old 02-17-2015, 06:55 PM

My favorite drop in replacement for for that is the Gotoh Modern.

http://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and_..._for_Tele.html

Before

After

Last edited by DESERTRAT1; 02-17-2015 at 07:00 PM.
Old 02-17-2015, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DESERTRAT1 View Post
That is a great suggestion. But I'd still vote for staying with a good 3 barrel. But if going with individual saddles, hard to beat.
Old 02-17-2015, 08:06 PM

i changed my stainless steel 3 saddle on my tele to glendale cold rolled steel 3 compensated saddle and have no intonation problems and stays in tune quite a long time depending upon usage and weather.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 02-18-2015, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscmp View Post
i changed my stainless steel 3 saddle on my tele to glendale cold rolled steel 3 compensated saddle and have no intonation problems and stays in tune quite a long time depending upon usage and weather.

play music!
Throw in combining brass and steel for personal taste, and that's why I prefer the 3 barrels also.
Old 02-18-2015, 03:24 PM

Default Help Me With Tele Bridge Replacement....From 3 to 6 Saddle

I did the switch from the Classic 60s three-saddle bridge (I didn't like it, the strings kept hopping over the different grooves on the barrels, really frustrating) to a Fender Vintage style with 6 saddles (with only one string groove per saddle). It was a direct drop-in replacement and contrary to what a lot of people said the sustain got better, and the sound brighter - and of course the intonation is now spot on. And I know I'm a bit of a nerd in that way but the bridge tray still says Fender on it...
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 02-18-2015, 03:35 PM

A tele should have a three saddle ashtray bridge IMO. The original design of the two pickup Tele was simplicity at its best.
Old 02-18-2015, 08:06 PM

[QUOTE=DESERTRAT1;4364400]My favorite drop in replacement for for that is the Gotoh Modern.

This is precisely what I ordered......i was sure hoping it was an exact fit. It looked like a quality bridge for the money. Curiously, what Duncan pickup do have in the bridge and do you like it? Did you replace the neck pickup?

BTW....your Tele burst is quite a looker!
Old 02-18-2015, 08:32 PM

[QUOTE=gracecovenant;4365995]
Quote:

This is precisely what I ordered......i was sure hoping it was an exact fit. It looked like a quality bridge for the money. Curiously, what Duncan pickup do have in the bridge and do you like it? Did you replace the neck pickup?

You may want to look at what Chris Klein offers .
He's even in Texas .
Old 02-19-2015, 07:09 PM

[QUOTE=Otterhound;4366059]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gracecovenant View Post
You may want to look at what Chris Klein offers .
He's even in Texas .
Excellent, thanks. Klein is located in Denton, Texas, and I had no idea. I live a couple of hours from there but went to college in Denton. I will have to look them up next time I am up that way.
Old 02-20-2015, 10:33 AM

[QUOTE=gracecovenant;4365995]
Quote:

Thanks. Here's a Gotoh Modern installed on my MIM FSR. The one thing to be aware of is that because the Gotoh base plate is thicker than the vintage plates you might have to shim the neck just a bit to allow a little more room for saddle adjustment. Other than that it's a perfect drop in fit. The sunburst is a Fender "Special Edition Koa" with Duncan Alnico II Pros that came stock on this model. Being Alnico II"s they're a little less "in your face" than the 52 Reissues that I put in the FSR which is a nice option when I want to play more laid back stuff.

Last edited by DESERTRAT1; 02-20-2015 at 10:52 AM.
Old 02-21-2015, 06:02 AM

Rick Shaw of Shaw Custom Guitars converted my Fender 58 AVRI body to a Fender American 6 saddle bridge and routed the back and machined a string block so the string holes could be relocated, it wasn't cheap, if a drop in will work, I'd go that route.
Old 02-26-2015, 11:02 PM

Quote:

http://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and_..._for_Tele.html

Before

After

Couldn't have said it better...this is the first thing I did with my Tele with a "vintage-style" bridge....BIG improvement in action, tone and intonation. Plus, the edges of the Gotoh are a lot easier on my hand.
Taylor 412K ('96)
Yamaha LL16-12 (SOLD)
PRS 'Studio' (SOLD)
Rickenbacker 660-12 (SOLD)
Fender USA Deluxe Strat
Fender USA Roadhouse Strat
Fender MIM/USA Partscaster
Fender MIM Nashville Tele
Kelsey Custom Hardtail Strat
Fender MIM P-Bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars