The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-17-2015, 10:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
Thanks.

I think it pretty much leaves me done buying guitars for life.
That says a lot!
Old 02-18-2015, 01:29 PM

One thing that's interesting about this discussion is that, in the main, the electrics that people seem to be drooling over are stock Fender and Gibson models rather than boutique and/or handcrafted instruments. I do not think the Martin/Gibson/Taylor acoustic equivalents of these guitars would generate quite so much enthusiasm.
Old 02-22-2015, 08:51 AM

I have 7 different electric guitars and basses. They're all different tones with different pickups. I have a les paul with humbuckers . An SG with P90's. A fender strat. A Ricky 12 string. A fender 5 string " p" bass. A pedulla 5 fretless. A Ricky 8 string bass. And getting a custom acoustic made for me.
Like my dad used to hound me " You can only play one at a time ". But they all sound different...
Ya wouldn't use just a putter on a golf course?????

Last edited by tc rocker; 02-22-2015 at 08:52 AM. Reason: Number
Old 02-22-2015, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
One thing that's interesting about this discussion is that, in the main, the electrics that people seem to be drooling over are stock Fender and Gibson models rather than boutique and/or handcrafted instruments. I do not think the Martin/Gibson/Taylor acoustic equivalents of these guitars would generate quite so much enthusiasm.
My thoughts or insights here are on the construction type. Many great electrics are simple in their construction compared to others. I think of owning bolt on Fenders, a carved hollow, and semi-hollow. Once at quality pickups, fretwork, good setup, and good dimensions they are generally great instruments. Then add how much the amp counts for a great experience with electric guitars.

The D-28 and others sure get a lot of discussion and passion.

Old 02-27-2015, 04:21 PM

*See companion thread- Why more than one golf club?

1984 Carvin LB-40 bass
1986 Carvin DC-125 two humbucker
1996 Taylor 412
La Patrie Concert
2012 American Standard Telecaster
1981 Carvin DC 100
Harley Benton LP JR DC
Bushman Delta Frost & Suzuki harmonicas
Artley flute
Six-plus decade old vocal apparatus
Old 03-04-2015, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow mo bro View Post
I know this is a forum for acoustics but we have quite a few crossovers. Do the electric crowd over here accumulate as many electrics as acoustics? If so why. I understand maybe a Strat, Les Paul, maybe a PRS....but don't they pretty much produce all the same sound? Does the sound more depend on the pedals you have?
I have more electric guitars than acoustics at the moment.

The two guitars I play the most are both "Partscasters," i.e. home-assembled, Telecaster shaped objects that I put together from parts and finished the bodies on. They both use the same parts matrix. The only difference is body color -I did the first one in three-tone sunburst, the second in a light stain with clear poly on it. Theoretically, they're as exactly the same as I could make them, but they don't sound the same. Close, yes.. Similar, yes... But the same? Nope.

I don't normally use pedals, either. I use some directional Planet Waves cables that provide a hint of compression on the signal going in to the amp, and a little reverb on the amp, and that's about it.

I pick them with the bare thumb, index, and middle finger of my picking hand. All four of them -my two Tele Shaped Object clones, my G&L Legacy, and my Epiphone Dot Studio all sound different when played through the same amp at the same amp EQ settings.
Old 03-04-2015, 10:55 AM

Location: A small island off the coast of a bigger island off the coast of a giant continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
I think one of the big differences is that if you say 'D-28', you pretty much mean a rosewood/spruce dread (with some construction variances here and there). If you say 'Strat'... well, which Strat? There are 182 models of Strat currently showing on the Fender website. There are 100 Les Paul models showing on Gibson. In contrast there are 11 'active' D-28's on the Martin website. So I think 'stock' is a more slippery concept in the electric world.

I think another thing, for me, is that difference between a stock acoustic and a 'boutique' acoustic is bigger than the difference between similar electrics. I just got a Gibson LP Jr Special. I hemmed and hawed between that and a Collings 290. They both look very similar but the Collings is $3k the Gibson is a little over $1k. Is the Collings nicer? Gosh, yes. Is it two grand nicer? To me? Gosh, I don't believe it is. I could invest a couple hundred bucks and put the Lollar P-90's in my Gibson (same as the Collings) and it would be even closer and still be less than half the price of the Collings.

Have I ever seen 'boutique' electrics worth drooling over? Heck yes. I'm still haunted by the stunning $7k Sugi that I played in Germany last year... I love Fano guitars... Nash... Keith Holland makes exquisite Strat and Tele style instruments in Los Gatos, CA, at very good prices too. There are many great boutique electric makers.
Old 03-04-2015, 02:09 PM

Many people have asked me "Why do you need more than one guitar?" My answer is "I don't "need" them...I want them". There is nothing more beautiful than a shiney new guitar...electric or acoustic...I love guitars and guitar music too.
Old 03-04-2015, 02:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don W View Post
Many people have asked me "Why do you need more than one guitar?" My answer is "I don't "need" them...I want them". There is nothing more beautiful than a shiney new guitar...electric or acoustic...I love guitars and guitar music too.
That really sums it all up.
Old 03-04-2015, 02:56 PM

WHY MORE THAN ONE ELECTRIC? I guess one could ask,why more than one acoustic?
Nuff said,
Jan
Old 03-04-2015, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsyblue View Post
To me, acoustic guitars sound more alike than electric guitars.

My Taylor 710B is a dreadnaught and my Taylor 512 is more of an OM but really, they sound more similar than my Stratocaster and my ES335 do.

I have four acoustic guitars and almost a dozen electric guitars if I include my lap steels.

And quite a few Fender and Gibson amps from the 50's and 60's. Each one has its own sound, as do the different speakers in each of them.

I just love guitars and guitar music... ...whether electric or acoustic.
What he said.
Old 03-04-2015, 08:48 PM

Strat type
Tele type
Les Paul Type
335 Type.

Just trying to have a makeshift set.

Gibson Corvus just to be weird.
Yamaha FSX-5
Yamaha LS-TA
Yamaha CG-TA
Epiphone EJ-200SCE
Breedlove Wildwood Organic Concert
Hohner Essential Roots SOSB
Epiphone Houndog Roundneck
Dobro Model 29
Taylor 214ce-N
Cordoba C9 Spruce
1972 Pablo De La Cruz Classical
? Eusebio Huipe Cedar/PE Flamenco
Godin Multiac Duet Ambiance
Cordoba Stage
Old 03-04-2015, 10:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vognell View Post
Strat type
Tele type
Les Paul Type
335 Type.

Just trying to have a makeshift set.

Gibson Corvus just to be weird.
Since you put it that way, you have to include the Jaguar.
Old 03-05-2015, 07:13 AM

I became REALLY obsexed with guitars about 7 yrs. ago. I had just stopped gigging after 28 yrs., and I needed some hobby to fill the void left by not playing anymore.

I became a pawnshop *hore , and decided my new hobby would be to find ANY and ALL electric, acoustic, and basses I could find for dirt cheap.

It's taken me years to find all the right local buyers and sellers,and to get to know all the pawnshops owners and mgrs.

It's finally started to pay dividend the last few years. I now get called or texted from some pawnshops with guitars that will be coming out on the floor.

A few of the shops let me go to the back of the store and look through all the stuff that's getting ready to be put out on the floor.

I've bought stuff from most of the ones that alert me to deals, so the keep me in the loop on all their guitars.

I am now up to 40 electric and acoustic guitars, and 2 basses.

This is why I have more than 1 electric. I've scored all of these electrics and acoustics in the last 4 months.

($825) '08 Gibson Vintage Sunburst LP Standard plus w/OHSC

($270) '03 Taylor 515-CE Jumbo Custom w/ ES1 & OHSC

($180) '78 Hamer Black Crowned and Bound Sunburst

($675) '00 Gibson SG Midnight Burst Supreme Custom w/ OHSC

($500) '11 Fender Blonde 60th Annv. Tele w/OHSC (Traded for '75 Strat)

(Trade) '75 Fender Mocha Strat w/ 70's Fender Case

($625) '12 Fender Candy Cola Am. Standard w/ Tweed case & $500 upgrades

($646) '05 Taylor 414-CE L10 Fall Limited w/ ES1 & OHSC

($400) '05 Larrivee D-03R w/ Fishman Matrix Infinity & Flight case
'81 Martin 7-28 7/8 D-28
'03 Taylor Jumbo Custom
'04 Ramirez 1-E Classical
'09 Breedlove Roots OM/SR acoustic/electric
‘15 Martin Centennial DC - 28E
Old 03-05-2015, 02:00 PM
Charter Member

^^^^ Wow. Quite a score on that Taylor jumbo.

I'd have jumped all over that. Congrats!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars