The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-18-2015, 06:45 PM

Default Ear Candy mini 2 X 6 (pic added)

A perfect match for the Mesa Boogie Mark V:25 and a telecaster... yum

Great customer service, highly recommended.

Superb clean tone at lower SPL's than a 2 x 12, great for home and studio. Looks cool too!!!

Last edited by teleamp; 02-19-2015 at 01:00 PM.
Old 02-18-2015, 08:08 PM

I'm getting some good use out of a 4X8 I bought. I use it at home alot with a 1 watt head. It also works very nicely paired with a 1X12. 2X6.....what are the speakers? How much power will it handle? Very interesting.
Old 02-18-2015, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrapin View Post
I'm getting some good use out of a 4X8 I bought. I use it at home alot with a 1 watt head. It also works very nicely paired with a 1X12. 2X6.....what are the speakers? How much power will it handle? Very interesting.
The speakers are Ear Candy's Alnicos... The cab is wired for 8 ohms mono and will handle 100 watts.

Ear Candy says that it will sound even better once the speakers are broken in, it sounds really good now.

I mainly play clean with the tele and have SD STR & STL pups.

The 6"speakers scrubb some S
PL's in comparison to my big cab. I can actually play the amp on the 25 watt mode in the house and not get ear bleed unless I go into distortion mode...
Old 02-18-2015, 08:46 PM

Same square inches of speaker cone as a 1X12, but quieter. Does Ear Candy have 8"speakers? Do they make their speakers? Guess I COULD just check the site....
Old 02-18-2015, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Same square inches of speaker cone as a 1X12, but quieter. Does Ear Candy have 8"speakers? Do they make their speakers? Guess I COULD just check the site....
Yes, they have 8" speakers. Not sure of their sources. I think they have speakers and shells made for them and and do final assembly per customer specs. Great customer dervice though and prices are nice. I was sold by their youtube demos. And my cabinet/amp/guitar deliver what I saw/heard on yt.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Same square inches of speaker cone as a 1X12, but quieter.
Take the two 6" speakers and place them side by side, lengthwise you get 12" and only 6" width. Place them on the 12" speaker and you will see which has more sq".
Old 02-19-2015, 08:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Same square inches of speaker cone as a 1X12, but quieter.
Hi t…

The pair of 6 inch speakers in a hand built cabinet likely sound great. For the sake of correct math…

The combined area of a pair of 6" speakers is 56.547 sq inches.

The area of a single 12" speaker is 113.09 sq inches.

A single 12" speaker is nearly double the surface area of a pair of 6" speakers. And the magnets consume a good amount of that area.

The formula for the area of a circle is:
A = π*r^2
Or pi times the radius squared

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 02-19-2015, 01:02 PM

pic added...
Old 02-19-2015, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi t…

The pair of 6 inch speakers in a hand built cabinet likely sound great. For the sake of correct math…

The combined area of a pair of 6" speakers is 56.547 sq inches.

The area of a single 12" speaker is 113.09 sq inches.

A single 12" speaker is nearly double the surface area of a pair of 6" speakers. And the magnets consume a good amount of that area.

The formula for the area of a circle is:
A = π*r^2
Or pi times the radius squared

Then there is the gasket area to remove and the surround is not usually included in cone area. The 6's loose area at a greater rate than the 12". But in keeping the volume in check, not a bad thing.
Old 02-20-2015, 06:07 AM

Niiiice. I love the small Mark V. And that piece of maple looks great on that neck.
Old 02-20-2015, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bancika View Post
Niiiice. I love the small Mark V. And that piece of maple looks great on that neck.
Thanks, the clean tones are just as impressive as the OD, I mainly use it clean...

With a full sized detuned 1 X 12 it IS loud, large venue loud., but through the 2 X 6, I can play it at the house, or, on a quiet stage, or, in the studio

I'd like to have Mark V combo, but they sre pricey and really heavy... The Ear Candy Mini 2 X 6 weighs about 16 pounds and the amp isn't much heavier.

The neck has been in the works for a while and the flame is insane throughout on it...

I've been playing a LONG time and gone through tons of gear, and I am finally satisfied...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars