The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-30-2006, 09:15 AM

Default Dtar Solstice with K&K Trinity

Does anyone use this combination?

My main concern is that the Solstice provides 15V of phantom power, while Deiter tells me his mic can handle only 12V max. The K&K preamp only supplies 9V.

Maybe I should try a different mic and/or a Pure/Sunrise combination.
Old 03-30-2006, 11:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamison162
Does anyone use this combination?
My main concern is that the Solstice provides 15V of phantom power, while Deiter tells me his mic can handle only 12V max. The K&K preamp only supplies 9V.
Hi jamison...
I have played my K&K through a DTAR Solstice, and it sounded great! I'm not sure if they are designed with any flex in them or not (above 12V). K&K sells other mics (silver bullet) which can handle 12 - 48V phantom.

12V -15V is not a substantial jump in voltage. My Raven is only 9V, but the guy who owns the Solstice uses one all the time with his dual source rigs without ill effect. He uses it on a number of different mic/pickup combos.

Did Dieter indicate what ill effect if any this might produce?

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 03-30-2006, 11:58 AM

Default K&K mic

You say the silver bullet can handle 12V - 48V???

To my knowledge that is the mic that comes with the K&K Trinty System.

This is Dieter's reply to an email I sent about this subject.

D: "The mic should be powered with 6V; 15V would kill it!"

E: "Ooops, I think I have used 15V before, have I damaged the mic? It seems to work still."

D: "Lucky you, If it works it should be okay, they are rated 12 volt max. They either work or they blow. I guess you maxed it out but did not damage it yet.
Continue with 6V and you should be fine."

-Eric
Old 03-30-2006, 12:13 PM

Default Mic Placement

I haven't messed around too much with mic placement. Anyone have any suggestions for finding the "sweet" spot?

Edit: Actually this should be a separate post.
Old 03-30-2006, 12:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
You say the silver bullet can handle 12V - 48V???
Hi Eric...
That is what the K&K site said...I thought.

I suspect they use the same cartridge in all their mics and configure the pickup pattern by the housing, but I don't see that documented anywhere.

They supply mics for instruments other than guitars (woodwinds, brass, upright bass and stringed orchestral instruments).

I think I mis-read the stats on the site...as it is on the Golden Bullet mic that it lists a 12-48V phantom figure (XLR type supply). I'm not thinking that would be a good mic for a guitar because of the pickup pattern (extreme uni-directional). Sorry - I knew I should take that speed reading course! Actually I read it when making decisions about 14 months ago.

I don't think you've injured your current mic at all. Your options include:
- keep using it and hope it doesn't ''blow''
- switch to a Quantum (K&K) preamp (great preamps),
- or switch to a heartier microphone - like a Joe Mills.

If it proves to be an issue for me (if my Raven preamps die or one of my mics fail), I'll probably opt for the Joe Mills mics.

I wouldn't make major changes without some additional input from other contributors in the group though.

In the meantime, I have some feelers out to one of the guys who might know, and am awaiting his response to two questions:
- Is it dangerous to the mic?
- If so, is there a simple way to stage down the phantom power's voltage output from 15-12 volts or less?

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

Last edited by ljguitar; 03-30-2006 at 12:56 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 03-30-2006, 01:02 PM
minister of twang

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar
Hi jamison...
I have played my K&K through a DTAR Solstice, and it sounded great!
i can't really answer too technically or add much, but i recently played a gig in d.c. with jim tozier's hamblin, which has k&k dual-source pickups installed, through my solstice (my guitars have mcintyre pickups). jim in particular commented on how good it sounded, and, at least that night, he was pondering picking up a solstice. he actually said, and i'm quoting, that when i played his guitar [my tone sounded] "just like pierre bensusan."

oui!

the output was pretty massive. when i switched from my regular guitar to jim's, i left the settings on the solstice the same, but the sound guy really had to lower the level to keep me from feeding back. those k&ks got cajones.

fwiw.

[update: eh... shoulda read more. jim's guitar doesn't have a mic installed. nevermind...]
l'twangage
Old 03-30-2006, 01:12 PM

So Jim's gutar doesn't have the dual source? What is he running, just the K&K Pure?
Old 03-30-2006, 01:20 PM
minister of twang

Quote:
So Jim's gutar doesn't have the dual source? What is he running, just the K&K Pure?
jim uses:
K&K Pure Western SBT and K&K FanTaStick UST

dual source.

but no mic.
l'twangage
Old 03-30-2006, 02:31 PM

Oh, thanks for clarifying the K&K setup.
Old 03-31-2006, 12:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar
...In the meantime, I have some feelers out to one of the guys who might know, and am awaiting his response to two questions:
- Is it dangerous to the mic?
- If so, is there a simple way to stage down the phantom power's voltage output from 15-12 volts or less?
Hi J162...
I spoke with a friend who is really into preamps and mics, great guitars and dual source rigs. We agreed that most power supplies (and even batteries) fluctuate and differ radically from what is printed on them that both of us doubt that 15V over 12V is dangerous. We both think 48V would kill it.

A resistor can be installed to reduce DC voltage, and that should be cheap and simple. I'm not electronic, so I make sure I know those who are.

If it were my rig, I'd look into the resistor route, and I wonder if it couldn't even be installed inside the guitar in line with the mic so the DTAR doesn't even have to be altered. Anyone here know if & how that would work?

You might even be able to ask Dieter about that. He is obviously advising you the cautious route...perhaps he would advise you as to the tech specs you need to know, and perhaps advise you on a particular resistor & how to install it.

The Solstice is such a great rig.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

Old 05-04-2006, 11:26 PM

Has anyone lost their mic using solstice or is it pretty much safe to use?
Old 05-04-2006, 11:35 PM

The last time I lost a mic, it was out of the back seat of my car...a convertible...the car that is.
Old 05-04-2006, 11:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamelbackCinema
Has anyone lost their mic using solstice or is it pretty much safe to use?
There is some confusion in this thread about power for condenser mics. There are two types of power for condensers, "T" power (aka bias power) and "phantom" power. T power is used on an unbalanced cable. Phantom power is used with a balanced cable. T power, originally (and still) used in many television and broadcast situations usually runs between 6v and 15v. Balanced phantom power runs between 12v and 52v (sometimes at 130v).

Internal mics typically used in acoustic guitars use T power. Studio condenser mics use phantom power. You can't use one with the other.

An internal mic designed for T power should work just fine in the 6v to 15v range without any danger of damage. Many studio condenser mics don't need a full 48v phantom. Some do.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification