The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-23-2005, 08:27 PM
Charter Member

Default larrivee or taylor

anyone have any input on larrivee as opposed to taylor. i have no experience at all with larrivee. i see a d-50 is for sale in the classified section and was wondering how it compares with the 410 and up series.
Old 06-23-2005, 08:34 PM

Comparing a Larrivee D-50 to a Taylor 410 is like comparing apples to grapes. Both are great(in my opinion) but they're very different.
Old 06-23-2005, 08:55 PM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody b
Comparing a Larrivee D-50 to a Taylor 410 is like comparing apples to grapes. Both are great(in my opinion) but they're very different.
Yep.
Both high quality guitars. Depends what your tonal preferences are. Larrivee has been described as being between Taylor and Martin.
I prefer the Martin tone, so I tend to prefer Larrivees to Taylors, but others will prefer Taylor.

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,
Old 06-23-2005, 09:18 PM

Smile

You may need to adjust your way of thinking (with the help of the AGF folks) to Larrivee AND Taylor.
Life is too short not to have one of each.
Froggy Bottom x 3
Goodall x 2
Cp Thonton Classic
Cp Thornton Elite
Cp Thornton Blues Queen
Cp Thornto Legend Special
Old 06-23-2005, 09:59 PM

Thumbs up

My next guitar will most definately be a Larivee'! The ones I have played have all had balanced sound with loads o sustain and volume.

love em!!!
Old 06-23-2005, 10:20 PM

IIRC, the D-50 is a mahogony dread, comparable to a Martin D-18 (if I wrong, I know others will correct me ). I the Taylor line it would probably most comparable to a 510. That being said (as has been pointed out) that the Larrivees are very different in sound from a Taylor. It all depends on what you want. I have played a number of Larrivees and find that I always like them, a lot. That being said, I don't own a Larrivee.

If I had to disguish between the two (in my mind) If I wanted a dread for flatpicking or strumming I would get the Larrivee. If I wanted something for fingerpicking I would go for a Taylor x14. That is just my opinion, you need to decide which sounds best to your ear.

I think most people hear will agree, if you like the guitar, if it appeals to you, then it doesn't matter that much what make or model it is.

Jack

1975 Mossman Great
1995 Taylor LKSM-12
2008 Taylor Fall Ltd GC
2008 Applegate C Nylon Crossover
Fender Stratocaster - Eric Johnson Model
Nyberg Cittern
2011 Eastman AC508M
2012 Epiphone ES339
Old 06-24-2005, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bastian
My next guitar will most definately be a Larivee'!
Mine, too! After the D-03E purchase, I've been hooked.

Old 06-24-2005, 11:31 PM

I play a Larrivee DV05e and a Taylor 355. They are completely different animals so it really doesn't make sense to compare them. The taylor is a bright 12 string and the Larrivee is a warmer 6 string. I can say that they are both wonderful instruments. I really enjoy both of them, and play them a lot.

-Frank
Old 06-25-2005, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyg67
anyone have any input on larrivee as opposed to taylor. i have no experience at all with larrivee....
While comparing a particular model of Larrivee to a particular Taylor is difficult, I think you'll find that generally speaking, the quality of design, materials and workmanship of these two companies are roughly equal, and consistently highly thought of.

Sometimes, it's possible to get more guitar for your dollar from Larrivee, but I'm not sure this is a general rule. Much depends on the discount being offered on a particular guitar by a particular dealer. Used, I would suspect Larri's to be slightly less expensive than Taylors.

If you like the idea of that used Larrivee you mentioned, go for it. You won't likely be disappointed!

cotten
Old 06-25-2005, 08:44 AM

If you were comparing a Larrivee D-03 with a 410, it might be a different story. The Larry D-50 is, IMO, a true monstor. Oversized sound hole (ala Clarence White) and nice mahogany. Definately the better guitar.......again, my opinion.

Petros, Paragon, National, Martin, Rainsong, and Santa Cruz
Old 06-25-2005, 10:02 AM

Generally speaking, I would pick the D-50 over the 410. I have a D-50, and it is a great little dread. Herringbone trim and rosette, engraved tuners, etc. Punchy, crisp guitar mahogany tone. If you have access to both, then play each one to see what works best.

FNG

My Guitars:
http://community.webshots.com/user/fng45

04 Larrive J-09 Maple
04 Larrivee JV-05-12
04 Larrivee D-50
06 Guild D-50 Bluegrass Special
97 Guild DV-72
97 Guild DV-73
97 Guild Deco Custom Shop
91 Guild Nightbird CU
94 Guild GV-52
06 National Vintage Steel Tricone
Old 06-26-2005, 09:12 AM

I tried out a couple Larrivees last weekend, and was pleasantly surprised at the tone and responsiveness, not to mention the cosmetics.
Old 06-26-2005, 01:40 PM

I used to own a Larrivee D05E- a beautiful looking guitar, very well crafted- truly gorgeous! But I never quite warmed up to it. It didn't have that great rich Martin sound, or that clear bright Taylor sound- as has been said, somewhere in the middle- and I guess it just didn't do it for me.

One other factor to consider, and of course this is just my opinion- but Larrivee just doesn't have the same name recognition right now that Martin and Taylor do- so as a result, while the guitar is clearly of equal quality, it probably won't have quite the same resale value of a Martin or a Taylor. And what that means is, if you are buying a used one, you can proabably get more bang for your buck. If you ever want to sell a used one, you will probably not get as much as you think it is worth.
Martin DX1ae
Fender CD 60SCE-12

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion