The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-26-2005, 10:48 AM

Default McPherson Guitars?

Why would you or why wouldn't you buy one?

(I know there have been several threads on this over the years but I thought I'd add some comments since I have now played them)

I've played about 5 models and I'll tell you they are impressive. I told Steve @ Anderson Guitar Gallery if he had just handed me the guitar and I had not seen the top (the funky soundhole placement) I would have to think they are the best sounding, playing, and "feeling" guitars I've ever played.

Steve has 3 of them and they are all just incredible. They all have incredible flamed Koa bindings, and just an overall feel and touch of amazing quality.

My Choices in order would be...

#1 Rosewood Sitka (amazing bear claw)

This one is not on Steve and Jens site yet

This guitar had fantastic bass, incredible balance and a real "bite" on the treble side. Very smooth, yet had a great "throaty" tone to it. I could really go after it and it just rocked.

#2 Mahogany Adirondack http://www.andersonguitargallery.com...tic/4.5ma.html

This is the smoothest, "sweet", tone of any guitar I've played. It lacked the big boomy bass of the other 2. The Mahogany on this guitar is beautiful. I've never been a fan of Mahogany but this one takes my breath away. I could see this as the ultimate finger style guitar.

#3 Macassar Ebony Back, Redwood Top

http://www.andersonguitargallery.com/Acoustic/5mr.html

A Truly stunning guitar, I did not play it as much as the strings needed to be changed (Jen was changing them while I was playing the others). I've played it in the past and it also has an amazing balance and fullness I just don't hear in any other guitars.

Of course these run in the prices of most Taylor 900's, maybe a little more. I would think since they are not as "known" you would take a bit of a hit on resell if you had to move them. McPherson is somewhat like Collings where they mandate a selling price and the dealer can't really come off it much, if any.

So what have any of you guys heard or felt when you have played one?

Last edited by taygull; 06-26-2005 at 10:55 AM.
Old 06-26-2005, 12:01 PM

Let the flaming begin, cause I am just the opposite opinion on them from Taygull.
The Goody dealer I go to sells them and I have tried them several times.
I just could not find a thing about them I liked. The neck is WAY to thin front to back for me, and the profile even felt "sharp" at a couple places.
All I have tried were very heavy as well, and just had no tone to them at all.
I played one of those Ebony/Redwood models yesterday in fact. Beautiful wood, nothing else to me. Maybe they sounded so dull because I had been playing a bunch of Goodys? I don't know, but never did a thing for me looks or sound wise.
Old 06-26-2005, 02:58 PM

The thin neck is one of the things I liked best about them, I wonder how the neck would feel after playing for an hour or so?
Old 06-26-2005, 03:04 PM
AGF Bouncer

That Ebony/Redwood one is very pretty, I'd love to play one, see what it's all about.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Old 06-26-2005, 03:16 PM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

Mixed reviews seem to be the story on this builder.
At the prices they start at, there are LOTS of great choices out there. Nice custom guitars by some very well known builders start to enter into the equation, if nothing else.

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,
Old 06-26-2005, 03:31 PM

I'd have to go along with that last post....they are nice guitars...I think they sound good and play well, but I still like my Taylor and it was almost half the price.
Les Paul Studio
Gibson J-45
Gibson Custom Shop Koa Songwriter
http://www.wadekilgore.com
http://www.myspace.com/wyndkreek
Old 06-26-2005, 03:42 PM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

BTW there was a promotional CD put out by McPherson guitars in every issue of one months AG magazine, if you can find it to listen to.
I've played it once. Ignoring the song selection and player, the tone I heard didn't knock me out.
One of these days I hope to get my hands on a McPherson..until then, my GAS isn't aimed in that particluar direction.

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,
Old 06-26-2005, 03:42 PM

I've only played one, and was left very under-whelmed. Just my opinion though.

Petros, Paragon, National, Martin, Rainsong, and Santa Cruz
Old 06-26-2005, 05:08 PM

I played a couple at Cave Creek Guitars in Cave Creek, AZ, just up the road from me. I rather like 'em, beautiful workmanship, lovely tone. It was kind of hard to get to know them, cause it was the kind of deal where the guy grudeingly hands you the guitar and then sits a foot away staring at you like you're going to somehow destroy it, so it was not the most conducive atmosphere to relax and play, but for the few minutes I got to play them, I liked them.

P.S., a nice shop, with a good repair guy BUT... they smoke in there!!! Ugghh. You can smell it the moment you walk in. For that reason alone I doubt I would ever buy there. Who would smoke in a shop selling fine acoustics? Ukkk.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion