The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-08-2017, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
What for you were the downsides of the K&K? I put one I'm the same guitar and I love it.
Hmmm...never seen or played one, but would like to know if anyone has put a MiSi pickup in their Carbon Fiber?
Wechter Nashville Tuned
Wechter Dobro
Washburn Nylon

Electric:
Line 6 Variax

Keyboards: Korg SV-1 88 key reverse

PA:
QSC K8 x 2

Amps:
Custom Peavey Studio Pro (Superman)
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Old 08-08-2017, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post
Considering a Rainsong CH-OM1000NS.

Electronics choices are:

LR Baggs Element = ADD $150
K&K Pure Mini = ADD $250
LR Baggs Anthem = ADD $450

And then, there is the Fishman Prefix Plus T. - price unknown?
All those prices seem very high apart from the Element, (I'm simply comparing them to Emerald's pricing here and the knowledge that a K&K costs about $100)
http://emeraldguitars.com/product/x2...v=79cba1185463
Old 08-08-2017, 07:48 AM

I have a shorty with the Fishman prefix+t, but would definitely go without the electronics if I was to do it again. There was a problem with the Fishman, and while they covered it on warranty I really don't care for the barn door, the tuner isn't too great and I worry about getting it wet now, all while hardly ever plugging in, much like the OP. I would not be afraid to do something aftermarket if your needs change, but for my travel use accoustic is fine, FWIW.
Fishman and Rainsong were great in taking care of me, but no more barn doors for me.
Clayton- Blackbird uses MiSi in the lucky and Savoy I believe, although I got my Lucky without the pickup.
Old 08-08-2017, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Jon View Post
All those prices seem very high apart from the Element, (I'm simply comparing them to Emerald's pricing here and the knowledge that a K&K costs about $100)
http://emeraldguitars.com/product/x2...v=79cba1185463
The prices include installation?
Old 08-08-2017, 08:47 AM

Quote:
I wouldn't mind installing K&K minis at 150 bucks a pop ,
might take all of an hour, but less once you've got your jig made for repeat operations.
Old 08-08-2017, 09:26 AM

Quote:
I wouldn't mind installing K&K minis at 150 bucks a pop ,
might take all of an hour, but less once you've got your jig made for repeat operations.
I agree. I paid $100 for a K&K and installed it in the Shorty myself. I was very careful and took my time- relatively easy even though I had to purchase a special carbide bit to ream the carbon fiber for the end pin jack.
Also, K&K sends a jig with the product.
Old 08-08-2017, 09:38 AM

I presume the K&K is their active system, which costs another $75, or so?
Old 08-08-2017, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Considering a Rainsong CH-OM1000NS.

Electronics choices are:

LR Baggs Element = ADD $150
K&K Pure Mini = ADD $250
LR Baggs Anthem = ADD $450

And then, there is the Fishman Prefix Plus T. - price unknown?

I know absolutely nothing about any of these systems, so if any of you folks can provide some guidance, opinion, thoughts, feedback on these options, I would sure appreciate it. I am not likely to use the electronics for performance, but may do so for some recording.
Quote:
http://emeraldguitars.com/product/x20-opus/?v=79cba1185463
Jon, FYI, according the Emerald 2014 price list the actual upcharge for the K&K option (which is not listed in your link) is $275, so $25 more than the MAP price from Rainsong. I've never installed a K&K Mini so I can't comment on what it should cost, but there has to be a reason why both of these builders charge about the same.
Old 08-08-2017, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
I presume the K&K is their active system, which costs another $75, or so?
Nope, I think RainSong is commanding a buck-fifty just for installation as the K&K listed is passive.
Old 08-08-2017, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frettingflyer View Post
I have a shorty with the Fishman prefix+t, but would definitely go without the electronics if I was to do it again. There was a problem with the Fishman, and while they covered it on warranty I really don't care for the barn door, the tuner isn't too great and I worry about getting it wet now, all while hardly ever plugging in, much like the OP. I would not be afraid to do something aftermarket if your needs change, but for my travel use accoustic is fine, FWIW.
Fishman and Rainsong were great in taking care of me, but no more barn doors for me.
Clayton- Blackbird uses MiSi in the lucky and Savoy I believe, although I got my Lucky without the pickup.
For my application, I just don't need electronics, so like you, I will happily go without. And that makes it even more weather proof! I can take it singing in the rain! (Not that I ever would.)
Old 08-08-2017, 11:55 AM

Quote:
The prices I quoted were off of Rainsong's website - they reflect the premium added to the price of a non-electric version of the guitar.
Old 08-08-2017, 12:04 PM

Quote:
The prices I quoted were off of Rainsong's website - they reflect the premium added to the price of a non-electric version of the guitar.
That was in response to Long Jon's question. I agree with him that the costs are high, at least in respect to the K&K pure mini which only set me back $100.

https://shorelinemusic.com/collectio.../k-k-pure-mini
Old 08-08-2017, 12:12 PM

Here is an old thread discussing K&K mini install.
Post #8 and on, discusses the issue of surface prep work prior to installing a K&K mini install for a Emerald X20.

I chose to have Alistar do the install of the K&K mini on my X7 and X20 to insure it was done correctly.

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...ld+K%26amp%3BK
2018 X30
And four all
laminate wood
acoustic guitars
Old 08-08-2017, 12:24 PM

I have installed i-Beam SBT's and Fishman UST's in my wood guitars, but never a K&K. The big deal there is that they perform best with CA as the adhesive, so it is a one-shot install. Some people install temporarily with double sided tape to test play, then go back and do the final install with CA (cyanoacrylate or super glue). As I understand it, once you use CA the pickup elements are not removable without destroying them.

My Blackbird Lucky 13 was ordered without the MiSi pickup, and I was going in that direction for my Emerald X20-12 (currently being built). But my wife convinced me to have a pickup, just in case. I opted for the less expensive Element VTC system, and to let Emerald install it. I did not want to try getting my big arms inside that offset sound hole to do the installation later myself. Sean did assure me that any competent tech can install the pickup in an Emerald later, just like any wood guitar. They can do some surface prep on the inside for later installation, so let them know if that is your Plan B.

Recording with most pickups is marginal, but it can be a nice supplement to blend in with a mic'ed track sometimes.
Old 08-08-2017, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claytone View Post
Hmmm...never seen or played one, but would like to know if anyone has put a MiSi pickup in their Carbon Fiber?
I have a Mi-Si Trio VT (Element UST, volume and tone controls at the sound hole) in my RainSong H-DR1100N2. I like it and think it sounds pretty good compared to my wooden dreadnought which has a JJB (K&K competitor). The JJB might be a bit more acoustic sounding but is not as feedback resistant. With the ToneDextor (similar to a Fishman Aura but you create your own "images") out there for people who really need that perfect tone, I think the Mi-Si is a very practical choice.

I use a Fishman ToneDeq when I gig. Adding reverb, the slightest touch of chorus, a light roll off of the highs, and a fair amount of compression, gives me a very good acoustic tone for my duo. If I was doing solo guitar gigs without vocals I might take the JJB instead.

I don't like the idea of Cyanoacrylate gluing a pickup inside a CF guitar. There is no smooth hardwood bridge plate to remove the pickup with a razor blade when it malfunctions or becomes obsolete. I did used to own a CO-DR1100N2 in which I put a K&K and it sounded fine but was very feedback prone (basically unusable with floor monitors without a sound hole cover and I thought the sound hole cover had a negative impact on the plugged-in tone).
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 08-08-2017 at 05:40 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber