The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-27-2017, 02:53 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
I like the CA burst Ted posted...is that on a Cargo?
I believe so, since the GXi was discontinued some time ago. Ted said that the top is gloss.....maybe it's just the lighting, but the top doesn't look gloss to me. Regardless, I do like the look of it. That said, the blue burst doesn't appear to be on the headstock and imo, it should be.
Old 07-27-2017, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac View Post
Now is the Rainsong real wood grain or is it painted faux wood grain??
It's not paint, the material was laminated to the soundboard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
I like the CA burst Ted posted...is that on a Cargo?
That is a Cargo, John. Bit hard to tell in that photo, but the top is gloss. That will be the new look of CA BTW, the solid colors are being phased out.
Old 07-27-2017, 03:02 PM
Guest 928

The blue burst is very nice.

As far as the new CA woody, when CA was first taken over by Peavey a white cargo prototype was featured on the old Carbon fiber Guitar Forum. It was a pretty sloppy prototype but that was not what was important--what was important is the prototype drew lots of attention, lots of suggestions, and resulted in a really beautiful guitar.
Old 07-27-2017, 04:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
It was pointed out to me that I was wrong, CA was not the first CF builder to give us wood grain, seems it was Rainsong. This is their ad from 1995.
Hang on while I make some popcorn.

I enlarged that image to see if it was actual wood laminate, or a "painted" grain... not enough image quality to hold together, so I can't tell. We installed some fiberglass double-doors that "looked like" wood on our studio building years ago... after a couple years in the sun, they didn't look anything like wood. We used a "stroke" technique with colored stain (suggested by the manufacturer) to simulate wood grain on those doors to keep from painting them. It reminded me of that RainSong image. After a couple more years, we painted them brown.

Sorry, but to me, that image looks nothing like what Emerald is currently producing. Another "swing and a miss" from 1995. If the public had gone for it, they'd still offer it and an even better, updated look. That isn't a slam - I like the CF look of my RainSong Shorty (the limited edition with the sharks and the more ornate rosette).

It doesn't have to be a contest. That said, any kind of wood "treatment" that carbon fiber manufacturers use at this point is going to look like "me, too!" after the Emerald woodies. I would think something completely different would be a smarter way to go. I also think the "Black Ice" top that RainSong offers is unique. Another manufacturer doing that would also come across as "me, too!"

Blackbird has their e-koa, which is unique to them; the images kinda look like woodgrain without being wood. Seems that the public likes it.

I appreciate the "carbon fiber look," showing off that beautiful weave, too. Some manufacturers are putting solid opaque over the weave, covering that. To each his own, and we all get to vote with our dollars. Once a manufacturer has the shape and sound dialed in the way they like, they can work more on the visual presentation.

And for anyone who thinks looks don't count: it wouldn't be smart to say that to your significant other.

-----------

What's next: Martin using a photo of carbon fiber weave on their HPL guitars??
Old 07-27-2017, 06:17 PM
Guest 928

Captain;

I'm in full agreement--I would not chase the Emerald line of woody jewelry. In terms of high--tech paint jobs, Voyage Instruments , a French company, did the job. VI was on to something, but not the something itself--the company never made it to production. CA has the substance, some high-style paint could be awesome (learned that word from my grand son).

Last edited by Guest 928; 07-28-2017 at 09:18 AM.
Old 07-27-2017, 06:25 PM
Anticipation Junkie

I also agree, Jim. It seems that these days each CF builder needs to find its particular value proposition and excel at it so that others can't compete on that aspect. Of course, looks alone won't be successful, so good tone and playability have to be there as well. Emerald likely has the wood veneer look cornered for the most part, as well as their flexibility and extent of options. The others you mention have found their unique offering as well. As buyers, it's great to experience how the composite guitar market is evolving and improving.
Old 07-27-2017, 07:46 PM

Look to the east for the excellent 500 dollah c f guitars , coming soon....
Old 07-28-2017, 01:31 AM

That rosette was designed to go with raw carbon fibre, so it doesn't match the wood. I reckon that if they want a wood look, they should go the full way with a woody rosette.

Ekoa is the best looker for me at the moment.
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos
Old 07-28-2017, 01:58 AM

Quote:
It's not paint, the material was laminated to the soundboard. . . . . .
What "material" might that be?
Old 07-28-2017, 02:31 AM

To be honest, I wouldn't buy that look. The wood look is just 'ok' but not great and to my taste, the rosette looks a bit cheesy. I feel the same about one of the Rainsong models that has a vivid-colored adornment around the soundhole - I think it makes it look like a cheap toy guitar for kids.

On the other hand, I think what Emerald is doing with veneers looks really great. And they seem to be very well received. Same with the E-Koa. I think other makers could take a page from Emerald's book, but with different looks, and make some money with it. Understated elegance works well. Over-done adornments not so much. And simple woven CF looks great too.

Last edited by DHart; 07-28-2017 at 02:50 AM.
Old 07-28-2017, 05:20 AM

Quote:
This prototype Composite Acoustics Legacy with Rosewood veneer top was on display at Summer NAMM. What do you guys think?
Ted, it's not a pretty guitar. Maybe it's the "rosewood" sample they chose. Certainly the rosette doesn't go with it.

I think the Emerald woody veneers work because they don't try to pass as wood; they are a different and unique look that incorporates wood. The Blackbird Ekoa connects to wood in color, but like the Emerald, it doesn't try to imitate wood. And I don't care for sunbursts, but that "Burst Savoy is a great-looking guitar.

This CA guitar just looks like not-very-attractive wood. It doesn't distinguish itself. I'm reminded of the days of butcher-block formica.
Old 07-28-2017, 05:32 AM

To me, it looks as if the Back was installed as a Top. (the 1st photo)
2012 RainSong H DR 1000(original owner)
2011 Gretsch Anniversary Model(original owner)
Mandolin- 1920's A-Style (unknown brand)
Mandolin- Fender Mandostrat
Banjo -2016 Gold Tone EBM-5+
Fender 2013- Strat
Old 07-28-2017, 06:16 AM

I find the Blackbird Ekoa attractive also.

The first time I saw it didn't grab me, but as I've seem more photos and variations, I think it has a natural beauty of it's own that falls between carbon weave and wood.

Like organic carbon fiber. It's a really nice innovation.

Flax (linseed) has such a nice history also. Linen is a fabric with special properties: strong and resists heat more than cotton, etc.

Still remember the song "Irish Linen" by Seals & Crofts. No idea whatever happened to them. (My mind is wandering . . . )
Old 08-03-2017, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirwhale View Post
That rosette was designed to go with raw carbon fibre, so it doesn't match the wood. I reckon that if they want a wood look, they should go the full way with a woody rosette.

Ekoa is the best looker for me at the moment.
That's CA's signature rosette, I actually think it looks just as cool on wood as it does on CF. BTW, seems the woody CA's were a hit at the show, so we may have not seen the last of the Composite Acoustics Woody. Who knows, maybe Rainsong will revisit the idea as well.

Oh, and I agree about the look of Ekoa, like wood, it has a natural beauty. Love my Savoy.
Old 08-04-2017, 02:59 PM
Guest 928

So, Long Jon, I've been looking to the east, as you suggested, for the $500 CF guitar. I've been expecting one, but fail to see one on the horizon. Are you guessing? Do you have one in sight? Are you putting us on?(not that you'd do that).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber