The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-26-2017, 09:19 PM
Anticipation Junkie

I'm very much a fan of CA, and I remember back when they did the airbrush wood look and although some liked it, I certainly did not. This veneer approach is better looking for sure, but still not great. I think we have been spoiled by the way superior application of CF/woody veneer top by the Irish builder. Apart from the woody top on the Legacy, a different color b&s might be better. Like others have said, the rosette doesn't look good with that wood. I'm not a fan of barn door electronics no matter who makes the guitar.
Old 07-26-2017, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Umm... no one will confuse it with the original CF/woody maker...
Actually, Jim, Composite Acoustics was the first CF builder to give us wood grain.
Old 07-27-2017, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
Actually, Jim, Composite Acoustics was the first CF builder to give us wood grain.
But it wasn't wood, was it? I recall a faux grain type of thing painted on.

Memory might be fading though . . .

Here ya go . . . not perfect quality since the source is still on photobucket--but it should give some idea.

I'd give them an "E" for effort, at least--but I wouldn't call them the first to use wood veneer . . . . . . . even "wood grain" is a stretch.

More insight comes from this most interesting post by someone we know well with good photoshop skills!

"I always wanted some of these but turns out they didn't make any...sigh.."

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...5&postcount=10

Last edited by ac; 07-27-2017 at 05:44 AM. Reason: moved sentence to make more sense
Old 07-27-2017, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
Kinda looks like a formica coffee table with a hole in it to be honest.
interesting idea, but I have to agree they haven't quite nailed it...
I've never been a fan of the veneer approach (although some of those recent emeralds have almost made me change my mind...)
But then, curmudgeon that I am, I'm not a fan of the carbon weave particularly, either. It doesn't have to look like wood, but then it doesn't have to look like a moire pattern either. The light "carbon burst" on the GX I own is actually not too bad. I quite liked the old wine burst they did, too.
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 07-27-2017, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac View Post
But it wasn't wood, was it? I recall a faux grain type of thing painted on...
Correct, and thanks for the photos. It was a custom option, and they are very rare. A few years ago I put in a bid on one that came up on eBay, but it sold for twice what I was willing to pay.
Old 07-27-2017, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdq View Post
interesting idea, but I have to agree they haven't quite nailed it...
I've never been a fan of the veneer approach (although some of those recent emeralds have almost made me change my mind...)
But then, curmudgeon that I am, I'm not a fan of the carbon weave particularly, either. It doesn't have to look like wood, but then it doesn't have to look like a moire pattern either. The light "carbon burst" on the GX I own is actually not too bad. I quite liked the old wine burst they did, too.
CA also unveiled their new burst finish at NAMM. It's gloss top with satin back and sides.

Old 07-27-2017, 11:41 AM

Default Burst

That Cargo Burst looks pretty good... I like some of the more exotic wood grain patterns coming out but not sure I would personally care for a wood veneer. I kind of like carbon for what it is, different from wood, and show it off in all it's glory.... I have my wood guitars for the... well, wood. I bought my carbon as a specific functional tool and I am going to show that weave off! lol

Last edited by Kerbie; 07-27-2017 at 12:09 PM. Reason: Removed profanity
Old 07-27-2017, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Umm... no one will confuse it with the original CF/woody maker. Sorry, but it doesn't look ready for primetime.
Quote:
Actually, Jim, Composite Acoustics was the first CF builder to give us wood grain..
It was pointed out to me that I was wrong, CA was not the first CF builder to give us wood grain, seems it was Rainsong. This is their ad from 1995.

Old 07-27-2017, 12:40 PM
Charter Member

Definitely a step in the right direction. it looks pretty nice, not great but on the way there....

Now if they only make a plain CF for around $800
Old 07-27-2017, 12:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
It was pointed out to me that I was wrong, CA was not the first CF builder to give us wood grain, seems it was Rainsong. This is their ad from 1995.

Didn't Rainsong also make a carbon top with lam back and sides for awhile?
Old 07-27-2017, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jricc View Post
Didn't Rainsong also make a carbon top with lam back and sides for awhile?
Yep they did, I think it was the PAG something or other. Laminated mahogany back and sides, mahogany neck with a carbon fiber top. I just played a used one the other day, right before I bought my P12. It might have just been the one I played but it was just kinda meh. Cool looking though.
Old 07-27-2017, 01:08 PM

I remember that ad, and another one with a Hawaiian fellow standing directly in the waterfall playing his guitar with water cascading all around. Haven't been able to find that image on-line however, and I'm too lazy to paw through old AG magazines to find the print copy.

Rainsong did briefly make a "hybrid" guitar called the PMJ-1000 -- basically the same size as the WS-1000, and they made a dreadnought version too. They had CF weave tops, black-dyed rose wood fret board and laminated wood necks with truss rod, plus laminated wood back & sides. Made in Korea, they were intended as a way to reduce the price by not using all carbon fiber, while still giving a CF top that would not crack with low humidity. They did not work out in the marketplace, however.

My PMJ-1000 lived in Alaska for several years and then Idaho. I sold it to a friend in Tucson last year because she needed something that wasn't so humidity sensitive for that desert climate. As always, it is doing fine without any particular humidity care.
Old 07-27-2017, 01:38 PM

Beautiful!

Old 07-27-2017, 02:09 PM

Now is the Rainsong real wood grain or is it painted faux wood grain??

I'm sure we could ask Rainsong this question. They should know if it is real wood rather than paint.

Rainsong??
Old 07-27-2017, 02:41 PM
Charter Member

I like the CA burst Ted posted...is that on a Cargo?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber